Yep, that's me...all dressed up and ready for church. No, this isn't a recent picture, even though I am dressed like an old man with my fedora and Hush Puppies. I am slightly taller now.My mom and I went to church when I was a boy, but as I grew older the trips became infrequent. Perhaps we picked the wrong church, or maybe my mom was worn out from a week of waxing the household appliances. Perhaps doctors, lawyers, Indian chiefs, and the mayor of Virginia Beach crowded us out of the pews. Our church had grown from a small congregation in an unassuming building to a bigger, better, more affluent house of worship. Nevertheless, I did have a foundation of Sunday school, church services, and vacation bible school when I was growing up.
One thing I recall was my amazement at how slowly time passed when I was trapped in a pew listening to the preacher drone on and on, when I really just wanted to be home riding my bicycle and playing with my dog. I wonder now if God didn't feel the same way some days depending on the sermon. The church I attended believed in predestination, and when that belief was explained to me I guess I missed the bigger picture. I thought "What's the point of anything if every thing's carved in stone and there's no way to change it? What's the point in being good or trying to do my best? God's not paying attention to it anyway."
As I grew older, I became aware of other denominations and religions. I learned that people believed in widely varying things. It was a bit confusing, but very interesting. Some churches had statues of Jesus's mom and his friends tucked away in nooks and crannies. One of my friends' family drove a car with a little plastic saint glued to the dashboard to keep them safe in traffic. Some people didn't even believe in Jesus! People across the ocean worshipped a guy with his big, fat belly hanging out. I had cousins who traveled halfway around the world to teach ignorant people the right thing to believe, and they were very proud of themselves for doing that.When I was a teenager, my mother told me about an old lady who was deaf as a post. She couldn't drive any longer, but she would crank up the volume on her television to watch the religious programs on Sunday. Her son and his wife, new to their belief in Christ, would visit her after church. One day this man told his mother that she was going to Hell because she did not go to his church. The old woman was quite hurt, but when she tried to explain to him that if she went to his church she wouldn't be able to hear any of the sermon, her son said that didn't matter - she just needed to go and sit there. I didn't understand how anyone could tell their mother that she was going to Hell.
As a young man, I had my doubts about God and religion. Some of the adults I had admired growing up who I thought were good, honest people and went to church all the time seemed like hypocrites when I found out they had human faults like adultery, greed, dishonesty, and just plain meanness. I thought going to church meant religion, and, by extension, I thought religion equalled spirituality. I wanted to live a spiritual life, but most religions wanted to exclude me; those that didn't wanted to exclude everyone else.
It seemed like most organized religions existed in little boxes. Beliefs and customs were put in the box, along with people who fit in with those items. Somehow they managed to stuff God in the box, too. Everyone else was refused admittance because there was no room left inside the box. Some of the rejected found other boxes to climb into; others, like me, wandered around on our own.
Eventually, I learned that religion and spirituality are different, and that my doubts about faith were based on humans, not God. I've come to believe that God prefers being outside the box. He created an unimaginably big world, and I think he likes all of it. I believe He loves people whether they are inside a little box, or roaming around in the fields. I think his love is limitless, even though mine is not. I do try, though, because I think that is what God wants. I am stunned each time I see someone waving a sign saying that God hates someone. The God I have come to know loves inclusion, and I believe He'd be quite tickled if we unfolded all these separate religions just like cake boxes. I think God would clap his hands and laugh with us if we'd look around, wave to each other and hug.I believe God loves to laugh. Otherwise, why would He have created the Platypus, the Giraffe, and the Human?
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with. His mind was created for his own thoughts, not yours or mine. - Henry S. Haskins












My StumbleUpon Page



8 comments:
That was beautiful, my friend. Thank you for sharing it. It runs very closely to my own experiences. I think it a miracle to have one's own interpretation of a Higher Power.
Very very well said, Bill
I enjoyed reading it.
Your post shows a spiritual maturity I find refreshing. Long ago I used to mistake men's actions for God's actions, and I allowed them to separate me from God. Now I know, like you, that God is loving and saving to all people. I wish everyone could know the peace that comes with that understanding.
I'm spending a week in your lovely city, Bill. Dang, it's cold.
BTW, daave: your avatar cracks me up every time I see it.
Excellent post Mr. Bill.
I especially like the visual of God laughing at the cake boxes opening...very true.
I too, can not understand anyone writing the words GOD and HATE on the same piece of paper.
I so enjoy you coming by my blog sugar.
Bill, this is wonderful. I can just picture God clapping his hands and laughing with us, as we all wave and hug. Just beautiful.
That was a wonderful post!!
Thank you, thank you.
At this stage in my sobriety, I've been searching for a closer connection, and part of that means poking around for a church to return to. But I don't seem to have the heart to commit to one. It seems too limiting.
I love what you said about God liking being outside the box.
And the comment from Karen about God clapping and laughing. Lately, in my imagination, God dances. He loves it when we live big.
I liked your post. Technically, I suppose I am a Christian, though there are many who would claim I'm not, they found out all my beliefs. I love church, all of them. I like religion, all the different ones too. I don't fit in a/the box, never have. I have posted with some frequency on my blog about God.
Yes, I have several blog. They are all current. Word Worthless Words and 2nd Storye Window are where I post most. Word Worthless Words is just my life. 2nd Storye Window is a more reflective/contemplative sort of thing.
I liked what you said about trying. I am learning that some of the people of whom I thought highly, really don't place much value in trying beyond trying to get what they want and manipulating others to get there. It's disheartening. I understand mistakes. I don't understand blatant disregard for others.
I think I'll be stopping by again. Your blog is a relaxing place to visit.
Post a Comment