Last Wednesday, after a long day at work with no lunch, I called my friend John and arranged to meet him for dinner. I knew I would be too tired to prepare anything nourishing when I got home, so we agreed to meet at a place we were curious to try. The Phoenician serves Mediterranean food, and our favorite place, The Grapeleaf, had suddenly closed recently.The Phoenician is only a few blocks from my office, and it sits on a stretch of Broad Street so familiar to many American cities. A miles-long succession of blocks built in the post-WWII years, filled with automobile dealerships, fast food huts, non-descript agencies and bland storefronts. Harsh and ugly in the bright sunlight; gray and dreary in the rain. Nevertheless, the Phoenician has received favorable reviews, and I was hungry enough to "eat the ass-end out of a skunk" as my redneck friend Ronnie would say.
I parked behind the restaurant in a parking lot across the alley, and took up a position leaning against a half-wall where I could see the side lot and the back lot. I figured this would let me watch for John, whichever spot he chose to park. I was soon joined by a healthy-looking woman who ambled across the alley. In a mellifluous voice, she introduced herself, told me she had just arrived from Jamaica the previous day, and was in my city to do the Lord's work. She seemed filled with island good cheer and optimism. She then asked me if I went to church.
Me: I'm in a church at least six times each week.
Jamaican Pilgrim: Really? Is good. What church?
Me: I go to several.
Jamaican Pilgrim: What kind?
Me: Oh, Episcopal, Methodist, Presbyterian.
She then reminded me that she came here to do the Lord's work, and was about to share something important with me when a man came down the alley from a Chinese restaurant which sits beside the Phoenician. He held an eggroll wrapped in waxed-paper, which he offered to our Jamaican guest. Much like an old computer, she seemed to freeze. Her mouth slammed shut and her eyes glazed over, staring into some unknown place, perhaps her homeland. She appeared to be in a trance, remote and unreachable. Still, the man persisted to offer her the eggroll, which she did not acknowledge. Finally, bewildered and disgusted, the fellow returned to the back door of his restaurant.
Our island guest snapped out of her trance, and eagerly told me that the Lord had told her to come to this alley to find food, and that when she saw me she knew that the Lord had sent me to her. She explained that she could not take the eggroll, because she had asked him for help and the man had refused her, so when he approached her this time the Lord told her not to accept his help. But she could take money from me.Me: That's a shame. I just saw the Lord send someone to you with food, and you refused it.
Jamaican Pilgrim: Oh, but I could not take it. I need food from the gas station on the corner, but I need money from you.
Me: No.
Jamaican Pilgrim: You won't give me money for food so I can eat?
Me: No. Good luck.
The Lord works in mysterious ways.












My StumbleUpon Page



12 comments:
You reminded me of the "Bible-believin' truck driver" who stopped at our house many, many years ago wanting money for fuel. When offered fuel he refused, he only wanted money for fuel. (long story. This is the short version)
BTW, I love the phrase about being hungry. I must remember that one.
Hahahahaha. I love that story! Billy can spot a con artist a mile away it seems.
I cringe when people misuse and abuse their relationship with God. Not that she necessarily has one, but many people don't recognize that possibility. There is a beggar who stands in the median of a busy intersection near me. He holds a sign that says "God bless you" between his elbows while holding a prayerful stance. When traffic slows, he opens his hands to the heavens and looks skyward, tilting his head just so. Puhleeze.
You did exactly the right thing.
Wow! Nothing like that ever happens to me.
That would make a terrific beginning to a short story...
I was so happy to see you in my Google Reader!
awww many come as wolves in sheeps clothing do they not?
Good for you, Bill! I'm sure you've heard that old joke about the guy standing on his roof during a hurricane, praying for God to save him. A boat came by, then a helicopter, but he refused their help and died. When he got to Heaven, he asked God why he didn't save him, he said, "I sent a boat and a helicopter... what else do you want?"
PP
Wow! That's an amazing story! How come all the cool things happen to you, Bill? I want so meet a Jamaican mouthpiece for the Lord our Jesus God!
THAT is a very strange story. I think I would have laughed at her like, "lady, are you freakin' kidding me"?
Have an eggroll Queen Jamaica.
I've never known a Mediterranean place that served skunk.
I got the song and dance from a woman once whose car was at a gas station just a few blocks away, and she needed some money to fill the tank with gas. I was in a weird mood (when am I not?), so I told her I would come with her to help her buy a couple of gallons of gas. (This was 17 years ago. Gas was cheaper, but then, I was poor.) She walked with me about half a block, then had the grace to look embarrassed and tell me that there was no car and she just wanted some money.
Post a Comment