Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mouth-Breather

What? How am I doing, you ask? Kinda crappy, actually. I've been a little under the weather. Feeling puny. Looking peaked. Feeling groggy. Sick as a dog. White as a sheet. Pale as a ghost. Not ship-shape. Run down. Worn out. Half dead. Unable to breathe through my nostrils.

This past weekend, during the zenith of my misery, I caught myself reflecting on being home sick from school when I was in grade school. My mom would transform into Clara Barton, and my every need would be lovingly tended. My brow was smoothed, and soothed with damp washcloths. Bedding was straightened & tucked in. Pillows were plumped and shades were drawn. The vaporizer fogged the windows. The thermometer would be checked, and it would remain under my tongue for several hours before it was trusted for an accurate reading. At least, it seemed that way to me.

I always had a niggling fear in the back of my mind that I would bite through the thermometer by accident and die from mercury poisoning. I had no idea what this entailed, but in my mind my mother would return from a lengthy phone call to find me with my eyes rolled back in my head, mouth gaping, quicksilver drooling from my blue lips. My mother would wring her hands and sob "Darned that Catherine! I told her Billy was sick, and that I couldn't talk on the phone! Now look what I've done." This never actually occurred, as far as I know.

The best part about being sick was when the tide turned and I started feeling better. There was that golden moment when the crisis had passed, but I still looked like hell. I could play my mom for anything I wanted. She was grateful that I was responding to treatment, and I could look at her doe-eyed and ask if maybe she could make me a fold-over peanut-butter sandwich and then play Crazy Eights with me.

Did you have a favorite food when you were starting to recuperate? Mine was a peanut butter sandwich. No jelly. White bread lightly spread with butter; then peanut butter. Cut into squares, not triangles. That was my first foray back to the world of solid food. If that stayed down, my next skirmish was with Campbell's Tomato Soup. Made with whole milk, not water. And lots of crushed crackers.

Watching daytime television with Mom was always fun, too. Of course, my mother never sat down to watch television in the daytime. That would have put her on the fast track to becoming a fallen woman. Mom would iron clothes, the steam iron clicking & hissing, as I snuggled in bed, and we would watch the afternoon game shows. Mom's favorite was The Newlywed Game, but I preferred Let's Make a Deal. I liked the costumes that the contestants wore, and I was certain that my mother could do an even better job than Carol Merrill as Monty Hall's assistant. In fact, when we were in high school, Suzanne & I convinced Jim Tyer, a lower classman, that my mother was Carol Merrill in retirement.

Unfortunately, there was no Mom to place cold, refreshing washcloths on my hot brow this past weekend. I was left to my own devices when it came to administering medications at the proper intervals. I scrounged for food in my pantry & freezer until a neighbor took pity on me. Being sick is a lonely business when our mothers are gone.

12 comments:

Lemuel said...

I hope you are feeling better. For me the first foray soup would have been Liptons chicken noodle (with extra tiny noodles) instead of the tomato.

However when we had tomato soup, I agree: milk, not water and plenty of crushed saltines!

Get well soon!

Amypie71 said...

I wondered where you've been, hope you get better. When I was growing up favourite food was ice cream and jelly, you call it jello there but for me those were special treats and boy were they good!

Bill Hetland said...

You were right on about getting comfort from Mom when under the weather. I was about five when I had pneumonia and was as sick as I've ever been. Mom provided the care and comfort after our family doctor had made a house call. Yep, doctors made house calls back in the 1950s. Glad you're feeling better, Billy. -- Billy Bump

Lidian said...

My favorite sick-in-bed treat was Junket - vanilla or raspberry. Chocolate was good too.

I hope you are feeling lots better by now. It's never as good (not good exactly, but you know what I mean) being sick when you're grown up, is it?

Scott W said...

We never had saltines, only Keebler's Club Crackers with all their buttery goodness! Sick food--Campbell's chicken noodle soup with enough crackers to absorb all the broth. But a fave winter time lunch was Campbell's Tomato Soup with a grilled cheese sandwich, sweet pickle chips and a Sprite. Dang what I would do for that right now!

Once So asked Mom for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but without butter. So Mom spread jelly on one piece of bread and in the middle placed a single peanut. No butter. So was NOT HAPPY but we all laughed until our sides were hurting.

If I had thought I would have FedExed some damp washcloths for your poor fevered brow.

I love that little turn you mentioned where you feel the first signs of getting well. To have all that wretched sickness behind you makes you really grateful.

Glad you are feeling better!

Trailboss said...

Poor baby. Sorry you are feeling bad. So is right about the sandwich I asked for. I was more that NOT PLEASED I was PISSED! It really hurt my feelings that everyone was laughing at me. When I think of the sick food items a poached egg with dry toast comes to mind. I never did like soup until recently so Mom would make me eggs when I felt better.

Skippy said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better, Bill. Keep getting better. Sending love and warm thoughts your way. I remember the first time I got really sick and realized my mom couldn't come take care of me. that's one of the loneliest feelings in the world. I'm glad your neighbor came to your rescue!

Karen said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. No one can take care of you when you're sick like mom can. I remember the little juice glasses with ginger ale and the bendable straw. And when we were sick, we stayed in bed and got served on a tray. It almost made it worth while. Almost.

Now, when I'm sick, I just hide in my room and feel sorry for myself:( It's no fun.

Pammie said...

I'm so sorry you've been on your death bed!
My mother would cook rice then stir in a can of condensed cream of chicken soup. She would then plop this mixture on toast and sprinkle a generous helping of black pepper.
I still make this when I'm sick.
And I sniff a jar of vicks vapor rub like a dope fiend.

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling much better very soon!! You brought lots of memories back to me. My mom passed away about six years ago. I remember when I was in first grade my Mom putting vicks vapo rub on me and making a wonderful honey lemon drink for me. I always loved chicken noodle soup when I was sick. I remember my Mom ironing (like your Mom, she was always doing something:)and the two of us watching Queen for a Day. What a hoot! I'm so glad that we had Mom's that cared for us in this way. Wonderful memories, hey? Glad your neighbor stepped in!!! That is awesome!! Take care! Thanks for stopping by and commenting:) ~peace, Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Awwww, poor Billy. And I really mean that! Just went through this with hubby for about a week. I made him all my favorite sick foods. Cinnamon toast with lots of butter and sugar. lipton noodle soup with an egg beaten into it and lot's of crackers.

I can remember being sick in the hospital when I was about four and Mom only being able to visit me for a few minites a day after work.(she had to get home to take care of my brother) I never cried so much in all my life, days seemed like years, but at least I had the nurses. Hope you are well soon!{{hugs}}

Suzanne said...

My GOD I'm behind on your blog. Please stop writing so frequently. Some of us are busy, ya know. :-D

I hope you are well on the mend by now. I burst out laughing, startling my cats, when I read the bit about us convincing Jim Tyer your mom was Carol Merrill. Had totally forgotten about that. I'm not altoghether sure I did not convince myself. She would have been perfect, indeed.