I heard a news segment as I was getting ready for work this morning. I was in my bathroom shaving, and the clock radio in my bedroom featured a gentleman discussing an upcoming election.The journalist talked about citizens who were unhappy with the incumbent President. They felt that his belligerent and damaging rhetoric had led to poor foreign relations. Their country had become isolated and feared. The President's re-election was uncertain because the nation's economy was in sad shape due to his policies.
Had a time warp zapped me back to 2004? Was I still asleep? I'd never, to my recollection, dreamed about politics. Then I realized that the news brief concerned Iran, and their upcoming Presidential election. I was awake, after all. I finished my ablutions, and went to my morning meeting.
In my last post, I included some pictures of Lauren & Andy's visit to Richmond. Before embarking on their flight back to Chicago, we went to breakfast at the Black Sheep, and I took a picture of the two of them.

The City of Richmond gave Lauren & Andy a nice parting gift in the form of a parking ticket, thoughtfully affixed to the windshield of their rental car. They gave me one, too, so I wouldn't feel left out. I was touched by the city's hospitality.
In addition to the great food at the Black Sheep, I like the eclectic decor. Each table has a unique set of vintage salt & pepper shakers. I am always reminded of my grandmother's S&P collection, which she displayed in an enormous shadowbox on the north wall of her kitchen. That is how my grandmother would have described the location. She used to drive my dad crazy by telling him things like "Oh, will you grab the cake cutter out of the west kitchen drawer?" or "You & Carolyn will be sleeping in the northeast bedroom." All of her directions were based on compass points.After breakfast, I had Lauren & Andy follow me to nearby Hollywood Cemetery. There's nothing like 75,000 dead people to settle the stomach prior to a plane ride. Below are a couple of photos, the first being President John Tyler's grave. The black iron birdcage behind Tyler is the resting place of President James Monroe.

Let's take a quick look at John Tyler's Presidency:
- first U.S. President to assume office following the death of his predecessor. This event sparked controversy because of the ambiguous language of our Constitution regarding such circumstances, and caused many detractors to refer to Tyler as "His Accidency."
- first President to have a veto overridden
- first (and only?) President to have his entire Cabinet (with one exception) resign
- first President to have impeachment hearings initiated to remove him from office
- led the drive for the annexation of Texas, and began the process of annexing Hawaii
- because of his allegiance to the Confederacy after he left office, he is the only President whose death was not officially mourned in Washington
John Tyler was a slave owner all his life, and fathered fifteen legitimate children. He liked to dance, and added a sixty-eight foot ballroom to his home, making it the longest frame house in America at more than three-hundred feet. Tyler's plantation, Sherwood Forest, lies east of Richmond on the James River, and is open for tours.
Here's a view of the James River from Hollywood Cemetery's Presidents Circle.

For the lighter side of death and dissidence, I urge you to see a movie called Death at a Funeral, which I found hilarious and delightful. I'd say it's an adult movie, but it is not vulgar. It's a British black comedy about family & friends who gather for a funeral. Foreshadowing the misadventures that the day holds in store, the movie begins with the mortician delivering the wrong body for the funeral. It goes downhill for the family from there. It has a wonderful ensemble cast. If you watch this gem and dislike it, I will cheerfully refund your time.












My StumbleUpon Page



8 comments:
I want a giant bird cage!
Pray tell just how you would refund my time if I dislike the movie?
I LOVE old cemetaries. I need to go back to Richmond and visit his one.
When I was a young girl my dad used to travel for work. Every Friday when he came home he would bring me a set of salt and pepper shakers. I wish I still had them, they sure would mean alot more to me now.
I am adding this comment whether you like it or not.
I like your grandmother. Not much ambiguity.
I will watch for Death at a Funeral. I'm waiting for Outrage to come within driving distance of my home.
I never did regard Tyler as one of our stellar leaders, now I do so even less.
Your comment about the "parting gifts" to you and your friends from the city of Richmond reminded me of the day of my son's graduation from a university in Boston. The police literally hovered around the cars as the graduating (departing) students and their parents tried to quickly move their stuff out of the dorm rooms. I think every car was ticketed, ours included. Revenue enhancement.
Tippecanoe and Tyler too!
Best campaign slogan ever!
And...it's Tuesday again!
Hey dude. I am requesting a new post from my favorite Billy boy.
Post a Comment