Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Girls (?) Gone Wild!!!

I can say with assurance that this has been a winter that Richmonders will talk about for years. We're disgusted with the weather forecasts, and just tuckered out from all the snow shoveling and windshield scraping. In the usual scheme of things around here we will have snow followed by a quick thaw, but this winter we've had one storm on the heels of another. My backyard has been covered in snow for weeks.

I've made it to the office every day, though. It's a work ethic that was instilled in me at the age of nineteen when I started working for Worldwide Monopoly. You get to work on time even if it means getting up several hours early to start shoveling & scraping. And why not? What would I do at home except drink coffee, lounge around in sweatpants, and take naps?

Hmmm...I may need to rethink this work ethic.

We're all weary of the snow, because by this time it isn't even pretty snow. We've been getting snowfall in steady pulses since the weekend before Christmas, and even hermits need to leave their homes occasionally for supplies. Parking lots feature miniature Matterhorns; brooding piles of dirty, gray snow obscure visibility. The roads are pocked with hellish potholes, and every car in town will need a front-end alignment by the time spring arrives. So, we're all pretty cranky.

What can you do about the weather except sit around and bitch?

Well, I'm glad you asked, because one alternative is to get a pack of people together and head down to your local Drag Show Brunch, which is what fourteen of us did this past Sunday.

Here's what it's been like around here lately. This picture was taken in my neighborhood on my way home from work one day.

Here's the crowd waiting outside Godfrey's on Grace Street for the drag brunch show. We were all excited because it was a beautiful sunny day for a change.

Robespierre & Martha waiting for the show to begin.


Sheldon enjoying the last heterosexual moment he would have for a few hours with his girlfriend, Sadie.


And now, on with the show!

Warning: this post contains actual photographs of live gender-bending nudity!

You have been warned! Leave now if you are easily offended, unless you have hot coals to poke in your eyes. Remember, being offended is the natural consequence of leaving one's home.







Sheldon cringes under the she-male assault of Tiffany Devereaux. I'd been to Godfrey's brunch a few times, so I chose a spot against the wall when we were seated. I grinned to myself when I saw Sheldon take a seat at the edge of the performance area.


Robespierre, who is always looking for a date, learns to be careful what he prays for.


Tina Turner takes a liking to Sheldon, too.


Entertaining the masses is exhausting.


Mercedes Douglas makes her entrance from Grace Street. There was a bewildered man across the street rubbing his eyes in wonder.






Martha decides to get in the act & earn a few bucks of her own.




Boobs are boobs. Dave is happy.


The performers put on a great show, and we happily gave up our dollar bills to them. They worked hard for the money. We had a blast, and we had the only two tables in the restaurant that weren't littered with booze glasses by the time the show ended. The drag brunch attracts a lot of bridal, birthday and divorce parties, and those folks were really whooping it up.
As we drove away, we saw one puking girl being carried to a limo by her friends. We still had a whole day of fun ahead of us. The sober life is full of mirth.

3 comments:

TheUndertaker said...

Phew, looks like you guys had an interesting day out?
: )
I have had fun on your blog page playing hangman (I won) and checking out things in general. It successfully kept me away from work long enough to forget what was actually doing...

Jen said...

That was Sunday Brunch? Wow!
I want a headdress like Mercedes. I would wear it with pride to the parent/teacher conferences I have next week.

Best Wishes, Marie said...

jen, would you go to p/t conference with the headress AND the snowflake pasties??