I endured four days of endless sneezing, but now I've adjusted. I learned years ago that if I take allergy medicine, then I'm stuck taking it. It's better for me to suffer a few days of hell and let my body regulate naturally. I was tempted, though, to stuff tissues up my nose at the office and just let them hang there, daring anyone to say anything. A runny nose is so aggravating.
The tree immediately above is a saucer magnolia, and their blooms are really spectacular.
Below you'll see Robert E. Lee astride his mount in the center of Monument Avenue. In the distance is Stuart Court, where I lived in the early 80's.
Appomattox Manor, shown below, sits on the promontory of City Point at Hopewell, and was the Union headquarters during Grant's siege of Petersburg. Here the waters are wide, and the house overlooks the confluence of the James & Appomattox Rivers. Toward the end of the Civil War, when the Union forces occupied this plantation, City Point was the busiest port in the world with an enormous U.S. supply depot for its troops.
One hundred & forty five years ago, after the fall of Richmond, Abraham Lincoln insisted upon being taken upriver to Richmond. Grant's staff pleaded against such a risky venture, but Lincoln would have none of it. Two days after the evacuation of the Confederate Capital, Lincoln and his son Tad were aboard the steamer River Queen heading up the same river that that Sadie had navigated. We had no need to worry about mine-laced waters, however, as Lincoln did.
About noon, the steamer encountered a line of Confederate obstructions in the river; sunken objects intended to keep Richmond safe from Union forces. Above this line, many mines remained in the water, but a side-wheel steamer, the Malvern, swept the waters. Also in attendance were a gunboat, and a transport ship holding a cavalry escort and the president's carriage & horses.
Pictured below, a modern-day dock worker sullenly prepares to pump gas into Sadie's boat. Oh, wait, that's Sheldon.
The lift span had been raised for the ship, which meant that motorists were sitting on the bridge in their cars waiting for the vessel to pass. When it became clear that the ship was heading directly for them, people scrambled from their vehicles and ran pell-mell for their lives. Four cars tumbled into the water, but no one was hurt. It took twenty months to repair the bridge. Somehow, Sadie avoided ramming the bridge and inconveniencing commuters. Hats off to you, Captain Sadie!
I can understand that. In Iowa, if you see trees in the distance, it means farm (a few trees) or town (many trees). Otherwise it's just fields. Ruth was simply thrown off-balance by so many things growing out of the ground that weren't crops.
Sheldon, on the other hand, grew up in Virginia. He's lived here all his life. As we passed by one of the few barren spots along the James, with probably an unsightly landfill over the rise of the bank, he commented on "how pretty that looks." What a weirdo. He & I have been riding in the car together, and he'll say "Boy, I like that house" and when I look, there's a home with not a tree in the yard and about two scraggly bushes huddled up to the house. I think he may have fallen on his head out of a tree when he was little. There's a resentment there somewhere.
Until Lincoln insisted upon being transferred to the admiral's barge, which was really just a big rowboat. A small steam tug, with thirty marines aboard to guard Lincoln, took the barge in tow. Lincoln was in high spirits, even as wrecked shipping and dead horses, the detritus of war, floated by.
There's Jimmy Dean the Sausage King's home below, rebuilt after a fire. No pigs visible in the yard.
Here's Sadie's place, preparing to slide into downtown Richmond by the looks of this photograph.
Of course, the next time he was out on the boat, he caught a very large shad. He says. I wasn't there to verify that tall tale. I have to rag on Sheldon a bit; he has a birthday this Friday, and he's younger than me, the bastard.












My StumbleUpon Page



3 comments:
What a great way to spend an afternoon!
We used to try to fish up in northern Ontario and never have had any success, even in lakes that are supposed to be absolutely teeming with fish. It's a gift, of sorts, I suppose :)
No desire for fishing, but the scenery is fascinating!
You always have such a lovely narrative with your photos.
Post a Comment