The St. Lawrence River separates the state of New York from the province of Ontario, Canada. In the photograph above, the distant shoreline is not Canada, but Wellesley Island. This 50-mile stretch of the river is called the Thousand Islands region, but there are actually close to 1800 islands, ranging in size from barely large enough to support a single tree to Wolfe Island (48 square miles). Wellesley Island is the second largest of the Thousand Islands, with three state parks and several residential communities.
One evening we drove over to Wellesley Island for dinner at an old resort hotel.
"Won't you have more bread, sir?"
Oh, yes, but I will, though I shouldn't; because this bread is so good; it's everything I have ever wanted, all any of us have always wanted. Everyone on the porch, all the diners at each table, tear their bread and lift it to their mouths and, nodding, slowly chew.
"More bread, sir, and butter. You must have more. We make it right here. And the butter comes from our own cows, and the only thing the cows eat is our bread from our very own ovens. Here is more bread for you. There is always more bread."
This waiter is so beautiful; he is a portrait of salubrity. His hair is the color of butter. The flawless skin of his arm is tanned but seems bloodless, like the golden crust of this delicious bread.
"Eat as much bread as you like. All of us here in the village eat it every day. In fact, it is the only thing we eat."
"Yes, more bread," my companions murmur, reaching, "More bread, please."
"Yes, more bread," the nodding waiter assures them, "There is always more bread. And do not forget the butter. The butter is for the bread. Be sure to butter your bread. Stay. We will make more bread forever."
His eyes are so...blue. How can they be so pale and blue? They are like a vast morning sky, and I can see something there, something small and faraway and terrible soaring in his eyes as he holds a bite of crust to my lips.
I hold my lips stiff, and tug my eyes away; like a piece of cheap paper ripping from top to bottom, my vision comes in a jagged race of other diners, children in the playground, a bicyclist, all slowly chewing mouthfuls of bread; my eyes slide to a rest on the dolls in the window. The taller one blinks at me. The other doll leans against her, staring at me, as a thick trickle of saliva runs from her mouth to her rotting linen collar.
A car horn toots, and a dog dashes across the street to the park. There seems to be a suction and my ears feel as though they've popped. The dolls pose in the window just as they have been since we were seated, with one staring into a tree and the other at the porch ceiling.
"More bread, sir?" the waiter inquires, blandly.
"Good heavens, no. What's for dessert?"
Row upon row of houses emphasize vernacular architecture with wide verandas, elaborate decorative woodwork, and upper sleeping porches. The village continues to be a thriving resort community; and, despite my insistence at seeing Stepford Wives & families everywhere I looked, it was a place I would consider for a rejuvenating vacation.
The town library (below) is located by the playground. Peyton Place is probably banned from the bookshelves.
Whew! We got away from Thousand Island Park with our souls intact. Completing our photo-tour today, we have some oddball pictures that I'm throwing in as a sort of lagniappe. First, we have the ramshackle old boathouse at Geraldine Island. I like how its lines are no longer square. This island has a large old summer home that Sadie's parents used to rent before her father built her current place. A private island sounds good, until I remember that I'm the type that grumbles when I'm on the first floor and need something from upstairs. I'd probably amuse myself to no end if I had to crank up a boat motor and head to the mainland.
I think this quaint brick Victorian house with Carpenter Gothic trim was in the town of Depeauville, but it may have been Chaumont. Probably home to a business nowadays. I didn't notice the Canadian flag until I looked at the photograph.
I was a little surprised to learn that this area in upstate New York was settled (by white Europeans, that is) relatively late compared to my little neck of the woods. Jefferson County was founded in 1805, when the third president was in office. Other than the land that fronts Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River, it is mostly a rural landscape. Lot's of cows; lots of dairy farms.
And when the farmers get tired of milk, they head into town for something stronger. This has to be the cutest liquor store I've ever laid eyes on. For some of us, cute but deadly. I'd better stick with the bread.
And when the farmers get tired of milk, they head into town for something stronger. This has to be the cutest liquor store I've ever laid eyes on. For some of us, cute but deadly. I'd better stick with the bread.












My StumbleUpon Page



4 comments:
I especially like that town library, it is lovely.
I used to really like antique dolls until my younger girl pointed out how creepy they can be. Those two in the window would not please her at all!
Looks like you had perfect weather, too :)
Very much enjoyed! The lawns and everything are impeccable. The winters up there are horrible though!
I like the Tudor style, it looks like a family of gnomes should live there.
Love your dreamscape? about the bread! Very nice.
What a great trip! Thanks for sharing it with us.
The dolls are almost as creepy as the fantasy interactions with the waiter.
I do love me some bread but it puts the pounds back on me faster than anything!
Post a Comment