Monday, February 4, 2008

Proposed Oath of Office


Lord, make me a channel of thy peace;


that where there is hatred, I may bring love;


that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness;


that where there is discord, I may bring harmony;


that where there is error, I may bring truth;


that where there is doubt, I may bring faith;


that where there is despair, I may bring hope;


that where there are shadows, I may bring light;


that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.


Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted;


to understand, than to be understood;


to love, than to be loved.


For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.


It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.


It is by dying that one awakens to eternal life.


Amen.



I'd like to suggest this as a new oath of office for world leaders. Every Presidential candidate talks about change. This simple prayer would be a novel approach to governing a nation. Many of you will recognize this as one version of the Saint Francis Prayer. It just seems to me that everything would run a little smoother in this world if folks added this to their job descriptions.



Saint Francis, born to wealth and privilege, turned to a life of poverty, privation, and devotion, much to his father's disgust. Popularly considered the patron saint of animals, his patronage also includes the environment, stowaways, and merchants. He was the founder of the Order of the Friars Minor, more widely known as the Franciscans. There's no relationship between Saint Francis and Frangelico liqueur. But the monk-shaped bottle with the little rope sash is cute.



I am no saint by even the most lax standards. I start my day with this prayer each morning. It's a good daily plan, no matter your spiritual leanings. I must admit, by the end of the day I fall short in one or more areas. I am making an effort, however. When I sum things up before I lower my lamp, I think about my shortcomings, forgive myself, and (most times) get a good night's rest. So far, I've been given a new chance each morning to try again.



8 comments:

Karen said...

It surely would solve the world's problems, if leaders truly took this to heart. I remember being so disappointed the first time I had Frangelico. My aunt mixed some with half and half, let me have a taste. I thought it would taste like a milkshake. Blah! But then, I was only about ten.

Pammie said...

I'm so grateful that I get a chance each morning to try again. So far....I have not got it perfect.

dAAve said...

I think that living by those principles goes against man's instincts. Ceretainly, mine.
I have to be constantly vigilant to come anywhere close to that way of thinking.

Anonymous said...

Bill,
I love this. I have to say that this prayer is one of my favorites and I love St. Francis. Yes, it is a good one to start the day. Have you read much of Thomas Merton? He is wonderful! Good to read a bit of your blog today. I'm at work so I only have a few minutes. Blessings and Peace to YOU today! Your friend, jeanne leigh

sojo said...

GREAT idea, Bill.

It is wonderful to imagine what would happen if leaders took this oath and stuck to it.

Scott W said...

Superb idea. Were they all to live by this simple prayer, mankind would be uplifted to a place that would astound people.

AA is the closest to a utopia I have found. And really, that's all I want.

Mama Dukes said...

oh wouldn't it be so lovely a world if we all prayed this prayer and did our best to live up to it?
Oh well, just for today

Bet that was an interesting meeting--wish I'd been a fly on that wall or sitting in a seat there. The mouse story really touched a chord for me.
thanks Bill for telling me

Jean said...

That would be wonderful.

St. Francis said a beautiful prayer. It's got everything a soul needs.

Bruce and I visited the hermitage where St. Francis got the stigmata (not Assisi, but Sanctuary of La Verna, a retreat in the mountains). It was really beautiful, a true holy place. I hope to go back there some day.

Daave, you're right, but we also have in our nature love, compassion, all of what's mentioned in the prayer. Otherwise, the prayer would be meaningless.