Tuesday, February 26, 2008

84% Dixie

Growing up in a "Navy Town" meant that, although there were people whose families had lived in the area for generations, a large part of the population was transient, coming from all over the country. Even though I grew up in a Southern state, I developed a much fainter Southern accent than my cousins who lived at the other end of Virginia.


When I first moved to Richmond, I was surprised at the difference that a ninety minute car ride made in the way people talked. For example, let's use the words mouse and house. I pronounce the 'ou' in these words like the 'ow' in cow. When born-and-bred Richmonders I met said they had "a mouse in the house" these words rhymed with dose. I had a Mom and a Dad; they had a Mumma and a Deddy (said together it turned into mummindeddy). I might go buy groceries at the end of my day, but I worked with a couple of women who would "make groceries" on their way home. My boss, Chuck, didn't invite me over for a beer; it was a bee-uh. A bear was a buy-uh. The James Riv-uh bisects Richmond. There were new expressions to learn, also, that I had never heard in Virginia Beach. An assurance of sincerity was "I'm serious as a heart (haht) attack," and a joke-teller might be "as funny as a crutch."


My grandmother, who lived in Iowa all her life, gave directions based on the magnetic compass. You didn't turn right at the end of a road, you went west. This applied to everything, and everyone in Iowa seemed in on it. My dad would get confused when he would ask where he could find a spoon in her kitchen, and be told it was in the north drawer. I always stayed in the east bedroom when we visited her. My parents slept in the west room. This method of pinpointing locations made a lot of sense once I got used to it. No matter where you start from, east is east and west is west, but right and left depend entirely on your point of origination. This is also easy in Iowa, where most roads are laid out on a grid pattern. In Virginia, where roads must twist around mountainsides and waterways, you can go in all four directions within ten minutes.


If I think I don't carry my own accent and regionalisms around with me, all I have to do is visit my relatives in Iowa. They don't mind pointing out my Southern drawl. In fact, I learned today that my speech is 84% Dixie. A friend told me about an interesting quiz that was quite fun. Click on this link to see how you score, and be sure to drop by afterwards to share your results in a comment. Y'all come back now, ya hear?

10 comments:

Scott W said...

71% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!

Surprising considering I have lived in Texas for 31 years the end of next month and grew up barely south of the Mason Dixon line in Paducah, KY.

When I was in high school, my friends and I were appalled at the use, or misuse, of English. We bristled at the multisyllabic speech of our fellow students. So we wrote a rather nasty newspaper article about it, citing examples such as chewing guh-um. Well, it backfired, because everyone thought it was so cute they amped up their hickness by over-pronouncing everything. Sigh.

Patricia Marie said...

Interesting. When my youngest son was in the Navy he was stationed in Norfolk. On his weekends off, he and his Navy buddies spent their time in Virgina Beach.

Birdie said...

Dang! Is that Southern? Cuz I scored 81% Dixie!

I grew up on west coast Florida, which has no specific regional accent; but my parents were from Birmingham and Atlanta. Their accents were high-society southern (and if you think there's no difference, you're not from the South). No multi-syllable words from singles, just soft drawls with gentle vowels.

It took me years to say "pool" the way my mom does; my friends and I said "poo-ull," she says "pooh" with an L barely hanging on while lips are still pursed. Y'all try it. Just makes you want a mint julep in the shade of an oak tree, doesn't it?

Karen said...

At 45%, I'm "barely" Yankee. Hmmm. I spent 7 years in NJ and for the past 42 years have been in Colorado. I remember getting teased unmercifully about my Jersey accent -- and no, we don't say "Joisey" -- it was more for the pronunciation of coffee and calling a 'sack' a 'bag' and saying 'pop' instead of 'soda'.

danny/ink2metal said...

hmm...i got 57% dixie, just barely according to the quiz, which is still kinda hilarious since i spent 36 of my 38 years on this planet exclusively in california.

i suppose its due to the fact that i grew up just outside of san francisco and went to university at berkeley, that i was able to meet a diverse group of people from all over the united states.

but i also suppose that since i have always been drawn to the soothing sounds of a southern drawl (from watching too many westerns as a child, perhaps?) that i picked up colloquialisms and modisms of the south.

anyway, that was interesting, bill.

thanks for sharing.

Trailboss said...

73% Dixie for me. I can only imagine how I would have scored when I was 19 and picked up a really annoying "fake" yankee accent from Chicago. If you don't believe me just ask So. It was bad.

Fun test ya got there Bill. I clicked on some that I had never heard of just for fun but then changed my answer to what it really was.

Jen said...

44% Yankee. Upper midwest most of my life except that year in Texas when I was young. Maybe that is why I scored so poorly. Maybe having a Fargoesq drawl doesn't make me a Yankee?

Janet said...

I'm 58% Dixie and I'm from the UK!

Jean said...

I'm borderline dixie. I think it was 53%. It was tricky to take the test because I've grown up in so many different places that I don't default to just one word for different things.

I used to think southern accents were syrupy annoying. Now when I go up north I can hardly wait to get back to the sweet voice of the south.

Jen said...

Bill, I have tagged you with a meme you can find it here http://redheadranting.blogspot.com/ thanks J