Saturday, August 9, 2008

Car and Driver

Four people who didn't know each other very well were talking at a party. Jason, who had recently obtained a new car, was telling the others about how much he liked it. He had never had a car before, and was excited about his new sense of freedom. He described how his car did things for him that he hadn't even known it could do when he got it. To hear Jason talk, you'd think he was the first person on the planet to drive a car.

Mary listened to Jason, and thought about her own car. She had had it quite awhile, and as far as she was concerned she planned to keep it. Although she didn't speak of her car - she just let Jason talk - she reflected to herself about how safe and comfortable her vehicle made her feel. Even though it had a lot of miles on it, it seemed as good as new to Mary. She was very content, but Mary didn't try to talk anyone into driving a car like hers.

Sam hung on Jason's every word. He was driving a car that belonged to his parents, but had secretly been thinking of giving it back to them, and making his own choice. He knew this would cause a ruckus, especially with his dad, who always thought he knew what was best for Sam. The truth was that his parents' car just didn't have the right feel to it, but he hated to cause trouble in his family. Sam wondered whether Jason's car would be a good choice for him.

Bruce was irritated as he listened to Jason talk about his damned car. Bruce didn't think anyone needed a car, and he always got edgy when the topic came up. He had been injured in a collision between two vehicles when he was young, and had been a loud opponent of them ever since. It angered him to hear how easily car owners went places he could only reach with a struggle. Having had enough of the conversation, Bruce left the party in a huff.

Now read this vignette again, replacing the car with whatever you call your Higher Power.

Earlier this week, I had the duty of answering our local AA Hotline. I got a call from a fellow who said he needed help with his drinking problem. He wanted me to find a meeting near him. I told him about a few, and he asked "what kind of meetings" they were. I explained that one was a speaker meeting, another a discussion meeting, anf the third was a book study. He said he wouldn't go to the book study because they would talk about God.

Hmmm, I thought. It's actually likely that the word God would come up in any or all meetings at least once. Although he had said he had not been to a meeting, I asked him again if he had been to AA before. He admitted that he had several years ago, but couldn't deal with the "God stuff."

I reflected that I had felt the same way when I first went to AA. I was, however, in such despair that I went anyway. I had tried to quit drinking on my own with no success, and the progressive nature of the disease had brought me so close to death that I was willing to try anything. I figured I'd just go see what AA had to offer, and I'd deal with the "religious crap" somehow. Oddly enough, it wasn't a problem at all since AA's steps are presented as suggestions, and you work through things at your own pace. I was also relieved to discover that no one in the program tried to define what my Higher Power should look like.

The best thing I could think of to tell this fellow was based on my own experience with getting sober. I told him that I knew how he felt, that I had felt the same way, and that the steps in the program were suggestions for recovery, not commands. I explained a little bit about what life was like before I got sober; the promises to myself that I would not drink the next day, and the compulsion that drove me back to the bottle each new morning. The awful realization that I could not stop on my own. My fears about my future, and the near certainty of death.

Here's how I reasoned it out, I told him. I finally had to admit to myself that I could not stop drinking. This made me powerless over alcohol. Therefore, alcohol was my higher power. This was, frankly, too screwed up to endure. So I gave in and turned to AA. I went in with an open mind and complete willingness. I let go of my fears and relaxed, and that's all I needed to do. I advised him he could take or leave whatever he heard, but he should go to a meeting since he'd had the courage to pick up the thousand pound phone to call AA. This seemed to make sense to him.

I hope he went to a meeting. I rarely know what happens to people after I answer the hotline. I do my best, and then I must let it go. Sometimes I do see them in meetings, or I will hear about them from others in the program. Alcoholism is cunning, baffling, and powerful; it will use our fears of appearing weak to others, our fears of religion, our fears of losing relationships, and our fear of change to prevent us from getting help. Sadly, the noise of those fears keeps many from getting the help they need.

21 comments:

Trailboss said...

You said all of the right things of course. Hopefully he truly listened to you. We can only pray for all that are lost.

Lemuel said...

It appear that you handled it well and did not reaction to him in a way that caused him to react negatively. I hope, as you do, that he went to the meeting and found it helpful.

Skippy said...

What a great allegory, Bill. I went back and read it several times. Where did you hear that?

I think you handled the call just right, Bill. I mean experience, strength, and hope are all you can give.

I am glad to hear from you, sorry I've been awol. I need to try to stay in touch better

L

dAAve said...

We came.
We came to.
We came to believe.
Well done.
Well done.
Well done.

Scott W said...

My word, I think you've got it.

You are a brilliant writer and cute to boot!

Jen (emsun.org) said...

I'm so glad that you are there to support people who need it!

Daniela said...

You said all the right things. I'm sure your guidance made a difference.

Karen said...

We all have our addictions. If it's not alcohol, it's something else. I learn so much from your blog and this post helped put some stuff in perspective.

Amypie71 said...

Kudos Bill for facing up to the fact that you needed help. So many people won't admit that they can't conquer things alone and unfortunately it's a big downfall. Before I became a Christian I had to finally admit that I couldn't live life that way I was living and that I needed help from God. That's just my two cents anyway :-)

Anonymous said...

You let him know that AA has not changed, and yes it still works for those who are willing. Great story Bill. By the way, I am 1-1 in hangman! Miss you being around more often, but I am glad you are staying active in the "real" world!

Zanejabbers said...

Hey BILL. Love the post. Service work is so fulfilling. Thank you doing it.

Birdie said...

What a lovely parable.

While fear is a response that is supposed to keep us safe, it can be a greater danger if it fools us into thinking that it's better not to change. That is an incredibly difficult lesson to learn.

annabkrr said...

Service work is the only way to keep it, Bill.

Love ya!!

Pammie said...

1. you are doing a good job.
2. how does scott know you are cute?
3. you wear boots?
4. cuz I dig that.

k said...

Fear rules so many of the things we cling to or avoid. If I do this... I lose that; if don't do that, I'll never have...

Cunning, baffling, and powerful are my fears and rationalizations that keep me locked into to doing the same things and expecting different results. What's that saying, "I don't have drinking problem; I have a thinking problem."

I am always amazed at how we, you, me, us, them, somehow find a way through the maze of our own thought processes.

Java said...

You live in a Bible Belt area. Are there meetings around there where the Christian GOD gets perhaps a bit too much emphasis? I don't know whether that happens around here, but I imagine it would be a problem here, too.

Patricia Marie said...

It is so great to give back. I too hope he went to a meeting. I too hope he takes a chance on life.

Patricia Marie said...

It is so great to give back. I too hope he went to a meeting. I too hope he takes a chance on life.

Suzanne said...

Wow, such a worthwhile read. I did what you said, re-reading the first bit. Fear is so crippling. I remember your telling me how scary it was to go to that first meeting. It means so much to be able to give back in this way. Wuv u. And very much enjoying the seasonal girlie pics, as always.

Zanejabbers said...

Oh, BTW, that car is great.

Trailboss said...

Hey Bill.....how bout a new post? I love them you know.