One day, our next door neighbor, Mrs. Ranhorne, was summoned to her front door by a knock. When she opened her door, I thrust a naked doll at her and said "Here, you take this doll baby. It's naked, and I can't play with it no more." Then I marched off toward home.I was probably three years old at the time, and although my mother tried to keep an eye on me, I was lightning-fast and very sociable. I liked to make the rounds. My folks would wake up some mornings to find I had already visited several neighbors. When the Munsons over on Farrington moved away, I was the first in the neighborhood to welcome the new owners, Bill & Sylvia Harris. I had to stand on their aluminum milkbox to reach the doorbell, but I beat the Welcome Wagon by several days.
Mr. and Mrs Ranhorne lived next door, and were quite a bit older than my parents. They had a son who was grown and lived in another section of town. Mr. Ranhorne died when I was still a little boy, and I remember visiting them with my mother when he was sick. He had cancer of the larynx, and had endured a tracheotomy. I stared at him with wide eyes as he smoked a cigarette through the hole in his neck.
Before Mr. Ranhorne died, he and his wife were sitting in their den when they heard ghostly piano notes coming from the other side of the kitchen's swinging door. When Mrs. Ranhorne ventured to investigate, there I sat on the piano bench, fingering the ivories.
After Mr. Ranhorne died, Mrs. Ranhorne was lonely for awhile, but then she found a boyfriend named Smitty. Smitty drank a lot and didn't fit in with the neighbors, but everyone figured if he made Mrs. Ranhorne happy we'd all put up with him. Smitty would try to mow Mrs. Ranhorne's lawn, but it never worked out well.
Smitty would careen around her yard, always sitting side-saddle on the lawnmower, clutching a beer in one bony hand and trying to steer with the other. After a few loop-de-loos and random patterns, he'd get bored and disappear into her house to pass out, leaving her yard a half-mown mess. My mother would sometimes go over to finish the job.












My StumbleUpon Page



15 comments:
That first piece sounds like Erik Satie to me, perhaps a nocturne?
aww she sounds like a nice old lady, too bad about her beer drinking buddy - he sounds like quite a character. I'm just trying to picture the expression on her face as you handed her the doll lol
I loved the tales of your gregariousness.
I love Nora! The first time I saw this video I had to watch it a few times in a row. It made me all warm and fuzzy inside.
I also love Nora, a true artist! Thank you for posting this clip, it is brilliant.
What interesting neighbours you had - I have never seen anyone smoke a cigarette through a tracheotomy. My neighbours as a child were elderly too but much less colorful.
My great-uncle smoke through a tracheotomy. I tried not to stare, fascinating as it was.
I love how you worked the neighborhood! I met all of my neighbors because of my children. That's how it always goes, doesn't it?
Kitten on the keys. She obviously plays better than your neighbors boy friend mowed her yard.
The older people probably got a big kick out of you and maybe you helped chased a few lonely blues away too! ;)
It sounds like you were a real treat to have around the neighborhood.
My oldest son used to do the same thing. Knew all the neighbors and even the names of their dogs. At eighteen months old, he unlocked the front door and decided to take a walk down the block at 6am. Talk about having heart failure? The rest of your story is sad. You neighbor was probably very lonely.
That is one gripping opening paragraph. Could YOU be the next NANOWRIMO contestant?????
I love that cat. But he has no sense of timing.
I have an award for you at my blog :-)
I love the kitty! I miss your regular posts :( Love the snorkle guy! Hope all is well on Planet Bill, I know you are busy!
When I read the first paragraph of your post, I thought you were going to delve into some dark psychological examination of your sexual development.
Instead, you just made me smile. As you always do. How's the job going? Any more calls from that weird girl? Hope she didn't choke on that chip.
L
Post a Comment