Monday, May 25, 2009

Thanks, Dad!

I've had a nice Memorial Day weekend, and it was wonderful having three days in a row to do as I pleased. On Saturday I went with Sheldon and his mom to Eden, North Carolina, to visit his brother & family. We left early, and got back late. Sunday I slept late, and puttered around the house, ending the day at my neighbor Karen's for a cookout. Today I went to an early morning meeting, followed by breakfast with three friends at Joe's Inn. A movie at home and a nap finished up the afternoon.

Over the past few weeks I've been watching Ken Burn's documentary series on World War Two. As I expected, I have learned a lot. My dad served in the U.S. Navy during that war, but he rarely & reluctantly talked about his experiences. He was mainly assigned to the Pacific Theater, and fought at Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, Bougainvilla, Cape Esperance, Okinawa, and other hot spots. He served on a little ship, the destroyer USS Buchanan, which was one of the first vessels that sailed into Tokyo Harbor after the Japanese surrendered. He witnessed horrific action, and his normally cheerful face looked troubled whenever I questioned him about his war years.

Tonight, sitting in my den watching sitcoms and sipping coffee, I am grateful to my father and the many men & women like him who have made it possible for me to enjoy freedom in the United States. My life is easy, and I give thanks to those who keep me safe.

7 comments:

dAAve said...

YOU have a den?

Scott W said...

My dad rarely spoke about WWII. He was stationed in New Giunnea and the Philippines.

My friend Bruce's father was Dad's jeep driver and at his funeral told me some stories I never had heard. One was that Dad took a large panel truck and he and his men drove through deserted villages and outfitted this diesel truck-sized trailer with fine furniture. It was a luxury mobile living room where he and the men could relax and be comfortable. I wish he had told me that story himself, but I have this sneaking suspicion the war did something to him that he never processed.

Trailboss said...

I agree w/So. Dad was a medic on the front line and witnessed more than a person should. I asked him once why he didn't talk about the war and he said "I don't like to remember my friends being blown to pieces." I never asked him about it again. That pretty much summed it up.

Karen said...

I enjoy hearing about your dad and the veterans who served. My dad was in the Korean conflict. This summer, I'm taking a road trip with my kids and we'll see the plane he flew on when he was on his mission.

I'm so grateful to all of our heroes!

Daniela said...

lovely tribute!

Lidian said...

A wonderful post - my dad was in the Navy too, but after the war.

Amypie71 said...

That's lovely Bill, thank goodness for willing people like your dad.