Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Quiet Man

This Father's Day I am revisiting a post I wrote about my father last year. I'm grateful that he was my dad. He loved my mother, and he loved me. Only now, as a grown man, can I appreciate his remarkable courage, compassion, humility, and sweet nature. I am proud of my father, and I miss him.

(Our scene opens in a large, homey kitchen in an American suburban home in the mid-1970's. A small family - father, mother, and teenage son - are sitting at the Early-American style round wooden table having dinner)

Son: We learned about this French luxury oceanliner, The Normandie, today. It caught on fire in New York harbor during World War Two and sank because of all the water they pumped in it trying to put out the fire. Isn't that neat? Have you heard of it?

Father: (chews, swallows, pauses) I was on it.

Son: (speechless)



How in the hell do you become old enough to drive a car without knowing this about your own father? After a few initial sputters reminiscent of our pushmower, my engine roared to life. I peppered my dad with questions as liberally as I had the Swiss steak which now sat before me, untouched and forgotten.

The French luxury liner, The Normandie, made its maiden voyage from France to New York in 1935. She was the sleekest, fastest, most artfully decorated ship of her day. The Normandie was the largest object man had ever set in motion. She was the pride of France. She was the pinnacle of the era's shipbuilding technology.

The Normandie was seized by the United States in December, 1941, and was immediately turned over to the Navy to be re-outfitted for troup transport. My dad, a young sailor, was assigned to this task. The ship caught fire and sank in February, 1942.

As I continued to poke and pry, my father told me that he was in a briefing in the childrens' playroom when the fire broke out. The playroom, he recalled, had padded leather walls so that rambunctious children would not injure themselves if they fell. The sailors were evacuated from the ship, and then sent back onboard to assist with firefighting. The irony is that the fire did not cause the demise of this great ship; the amount of water pumped inside to quell the fire caused the ship to capsize and sink harborside.

This story is typical of my dad's reluctance to talk about his past. To this day he remains a cryptogram to me in many ways. The bits that I coaxed from him revealed that he led a fascinating life. Through crafty questioning and wheedling I learned that my dad went with a friend to a Navy recruiting station and lied about their ages so they could join the action in WWII. He was assigned to the Atlantic Theater, and reassigned to the Pacific after the Normandie went belly-up. Assigned to a destroyer, the USS Buchanan, he was in many battles, including Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, Okinawa, Bougainville, Cape Esperance, and others. He never talked about these battles. They were listed on the framed USS Buchanan scorecard on the wall that I had passed by every day without a glance.

The Buchanan was one of the first ships that entered Tokyo Harbor following the surrender of Japan, and his ship participated in the surrender ceremonies. He said the Japanese citizens were terrified by the sight of US sailors in Tokyo. He saw sumo wrestling matches and God knows what else before his ship was given the task of going up and down Japan's coastline picking up POW's. The only thing he would say about this was "Bill, they didn't even look human when we got them back." Those few words still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

After the war, he became a Navy diver, a "frogman", a member of the elite Underwater Demolition Team (and, later, the UDT/SEAL team). At the time, there were four UDT's; two in California, and two in Norfolk, Virginia. He was first in San Diego, and I know nothing of his life there. He was then reassigned to Norfolk, where he met and wed my mother.

By the time I happened upon the scene, my dad was an elder member of this branch of the service, and he instructed younger men in the art of utilizing finesse and perfect timing with explosives. He was respected and admired by the men in his charge, but at least one told my mom that if he ever blew his top, they shaped up fast. He had a long fuse in general, but had no tolerance for the careless grab-assing of cocky young men. My dad had a dangerous job. He had seen buddies killed in combat, lost a man in a fall from a helicopter during a training maneuver, and had a diver alongside him eaten by a shark during a nightime mission. He told me the only parts they recovered for burial were a hand and a piece of thigh. He knew the dangers of the ocean. Sometimes the phone would ring in the darkness of night, and my dad would be gone in a flash. My mother and I didn't know where he was going or when he would return. But he always came home to us - thank you, God.

His reticence was not confined to his years of military service. I learned more about his family from his sister, Therza, than I ever learned from him. For example, Aunt Therza told me that their oldest sister, Olivia, died in the great influenza epidemic of 1918. My mother nor I had ever heard of Olivia. Even the circumstances of his mother's death when he was six are cloudy; he always said she died of tuberculosis, but Aunt Therza told me she died following a horseback riding accident. He did not like to talk about his childhood, and was adept at avoiding questions. Like the sea he loved, he held his secrets close.

He was a quiet man. He enjoyed simple things. He liked to laugh. He did not want many possessions. He cherished my mother and me, and he provided us with a good life. There was always plenty of food on our table, even if boats and campers never cluttered our driveway. The vehicles may have been old, but were always bought new and never financed. Our house was not large, but it was paid in full and we lived in a nice neighborhood. He and my mother taught me that friends and family do not wear out with time like material things.

I grin everytime I think about my friend Suzanne and my dad together. Once one started chuckling they were off to the races. Chuckles and giggles turned into side-clutching gales of laughter. My friends adored him, and he made each one feel welcome with an easy-going manner, a twinkle in his eye, and questions that engaged them in conversations that told them that he found them as interesting as they found him. He was never boastful, and was always kind. Meeting him casually, you would never guess the risks he took every time he headed off to work. No one would dream that he had been trained to kill with his bare hands.

I think my friend Tracey put it best when, following his death, she turned to me and remarked "You know, Bill, if I had to describe your dad in two words I would say 'humble' and 'gentle' ."

I couldn't have said it better.

25 comments:

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Hello Bill.

It is interesting as we get older to learn that our parents are people that had a past life with experiences and stories that have nothing to do with us. Makes us see them in a different light. Your Dad sounds like a great man and I can see why you would be proud enough to write about him. My Dad had an uncle that was in WW1, he said also that he never spoke about it, if someone asked, he would only say one or two sentences and then drop the subject. I guess being a boy from the farm did not prepare him for what he saw over there.

On a happier note, have a good weekend Bill!

Karen said...

Your dad had a fascinating history. The most admirable thing about his life is the way he provided for you and your mother, and the values that he instilled in you. What a beautiful tribute you've written for your father.

Bill said...

From my cousin Linda, Therza's daughter:
Loved the piece on Uncle Layton & you did it so well, as usual. He was a special man in so many ways to so many people. Anyone who knew him loved him & respected him so much. Thanks. It's a joy to read these as it is a window into lives we thought we knew but didn't @ all. ...... the horrors he witnessed. Thanks for sharing these w/ us. Love it. Linda

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed the one on Uncle Layton. You make one feel like they are sitting there listening to
him. I remember that laugh of his,
he was a special person. Iam learning things about our relatives
that I didn'tknow. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Jane

Amypie71 said...

wow that's a pretty amazing dad you had there Bill...

dAAve said...

I'm here.
Don't worry.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Bill. What a great post. You had wonderful parents and such a great childhood. Just goes to show ya that this disease does not just inflict those of us who did have what you did. I am so glad you are clean and sober today and willing to share all this. You always make my day!

Unknown said...

That was a marvelous tribute to your dad!! and it is well-apparent that he was a marvelous man.

I have found that many soldiers/sailors of WWII are reluctant to speak of what they witnessed. I am sure that they wanted to forget the horrors they saw and never wanted the world to see it. Sometimes I wish they had spoken more of it. Perhaps we would not now have leaders who have no understanding of the horror of war and think of it only in terms of a video game.

My own father and mother must have been close in age to your father, perhaps older by a wee bit. They also did not speak of their past, of the wars, of the Depression, unless pumped, and then only reluctantly.

Scott W said...

I needs me a padded leather playroom today! Red please. With tufting and buttons!

Guess what? You are as sweet as your father was.

Lidian said...

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful father - you were very lucky to have such amazing parents!

And you are a terrific writer.

Patricia Marie said...

This is a very nice memory of your Dad.

Trailboss said...

Very moving tribute to your dad. I too wish I knew more about his life before he met and married Mom. He too would not talk about being in the Army. He was a medic on the front line in WWII.

A beautiful story and I am sure he and your Mom are smiling down at you today.

Java said...

Thank you for sharing that, Bill. It's a beautiful tribute to a great man.

Maddog said...

Your posts are always so wonderful. I only wish taht I had such a wonderful childhood. The way you remember your parents is beautiful and when so many people I know come from screwed up families it's nice to know that some of them got it right.

Skippy said...

Did I miss something? Where did Uncle Layton come in? I really need to take notes when I read ;o)

What a beautiful tribute, Bill. Your dad sounds like a wonderful person, and your mom, too. That's prolly how come you growed up to be such a decent fellow.

And you know, you're awfully nice for an only child.

Bill said...

Layton was my dad's real name, and his family continues to refer to him by that name.
"Hank" was the nickname he was given in the US Navy, and most people knew him as "Hank."

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Bill,

Just dropped in from Kitchen Retro. What a beautiful post.

I agree with Lemuel. If only we "felt" more of the noble sacrifices those before have made. If only...

smilnsigh said...

What a wonderful, and interesting post. Thank you for sharing all that, with your readers.

He did all that, and was a SEAL too. Wow! Woot! I don't have enough words to say how impressed I am.

So, who the hell {Ooops, I just upped your cuss-o-meter! -grin-} am I and where did I pop in from? I was just reading Amy's blog and saw your comment on an entry, about judgmental bloggers. Liked it. Came over to say so.

Also liked it that you had the guts to comment on that particular topic. Have you noticed that you and I, are the only ones who did? -wry smile-

Be well...

Mari-Nanci
Smilnsigh blog

Daniela said...

What a great tribute. Makes me miss my dad horribly.

Pammie said...

jeez, I finally got to sit down this morning and read this long interesting post.
Did you just want to tie him up and make him talk?
My father had an odd tattoo that he got during the War. He would never tell us what it meant. He was dead for 10 years before I discovered what it was. I'd give anything to be able to sit and talk to him now. He too was so gentle and strong.
Thanks for the lovely post Bill.

Mary Christine said...

I have the utmost respect for the generation that did not need to talk about itself incessantly... however, I wish we knew more about their fascinating lives.

Jen said...

That was a wonderful tribute to your father, Bill.

Birdie said...

Thank you for this look into your memories.

My dad did tell us that the scar in his biceps was from being shot in the war. I learned from his army records after his death that he was on the beach at Normandy, led his troops through that hell and was shot by a sniper in a French village just as he raised his gun to fire.

My sister and I are convinced, after having seen "Saving Private Ryan," that it was Normandy that drove our dad to alcohol and eventual suicide. You have never met a gentler man. Imagine going through that and coming out untouched. We never know the whole story about our parents, do we?

Trailboss said...

Hey big boy, it's about time for an update don't ya say???

Amypie71 said...

hey Bill, me again, I'll email you the recipe for the Chocolate pudding later on, it's easy to make and yum!