
I took the above picture one evening last week as the sun was setting over the International Deepwater Terminal at the Port of Richmond docks. It had been an unusually busy day at work, with people crowding the office and both phone lines ringing steadily. I looked forward all day to a sunset cruise on Sadie's boat.
One of the calls I got during the day was from a man who had contacted me previously. When he called in May, he had been sober about a month and was calling for information about AA meetings in his area. Tuesday he called again, now two months sober, and said he felt like he was losing his mind. He still hadn't been to a meeting, and was trying to figure out things on his own. He thought he would feel better after he stopped drinking, but instead he felt worse. I told him that I understood how he felt.
I had the same expectations when I stopped drinking, and the same results. For about three or four months, I went through a period of confusion, restlessness, and feeling as nervous as a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs. Like the guy on the phone, I thought I'd instantly feel better as soon as I stopped drinking. Instead, my brain felt scrambled, and I could only string together about three hours of sleep at a time. I frustrated my friends and frightened small animals. My behavior was self-absorbed and erratic.
The meetings I attended regularly helped a great deal, but I knew that it would take time to smooth the rough edges. Talking daily to other people who had been through the same thing helped tremendously. I didn't feel like I was the last man on Earth. And I wasn't. Thousands of people had been through this before, and I was nobody special. It took awhile to stop taking myself so damned seriously.
I told the fellow on the phone that I would have someone in his area contact him. I called the same member, Miles, who had contacted the man for me in May. When Miles heard who was calling back for help he asked "Has he been to a meeting yet?"
"No, he's been flying solo."
Miles chuckled and said,"It's like going back to the doctor and saying 'Doc! My ass is still falling off!' and the doctor says 'Did you take that medicine I gave you?' 'Well, no...'
I'll call him again and tell him to come home to where we are."
But, that's how it is with most of us. We'd rather admit to robbing a bank or flying to Argentina to visit a mistress than stand up and say "I'm Bill, and I'm an alcoholic."
It was so pleasant to spend quiet time with friends on an evening river cruise. We took fried chicken, snacks and drinks. There was a nice breeze, and the air was cooler on the water. We talked and laughed, and enjoyed a gentle end to a busy day.
Here are some additional pictures for you to see.
First up is Captain Sadie at the helm, with Robespierre looking insouciant in the stern.

The Pocahontas Bridge spans the James south of Richmond.

Robespierre happily full of fried chicken and chocolate chip cookies.

The remains of the day settle over the historic James River...














My StumbleUpon Page



9 comments:
You're an alcoholic?
I never would have imagined.
Those sunset pictures are seriously beautiful. That last picture, the one with the two moons, is lovely.
I hope your man surrenders. You should send him those pictures, what it's like NOW!
Those are seriously gorgeous photographs, Bill. Looks like you all had a brilliant time, which is great! :)
Again you have provided a great witness to those who may be struggling with alcohol addiction. If even one person reads your post and understands he/she is not alone, picks up and joins a support group such as AA, you deserve another star.
Happy Birthday to YOU today!
Happy Birthday Bill! I hope your day is filled with lots of surprises! Beautiful sunset pics!
B
i
r
t
Happy
d
a
y
And a BIG OLE HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Bill.
Did I miss you saying it was your birthday??? Pay no attention to me as I am getting really sleepy. Good pictures and a good time for sure. I'll be glad when I can figure out what is wrong w/my computer. I still can't post pictures from flickr. Damnit Janet.
Post a Comment