When I first started on my journey to sobriety, I went to many meetings around town. I listened and learned from others who had managed to free themselves from a life of alcohol. I was amazed that these people had lived soberly each day for years. Hell, I was amazed when I saw a guy pick up a thirty-day chip at my first meeting.
I was uncomfortable trying different meetings, but I did it anyway because it was strongly suggested by people who knew more than I did about life. That's how I found my sponsor. While most folks in town were still in bed, or padding around their homes in robes & slippers, I went to the earliest meeting in town at 6:45. I wasn't being virtuous; I was scared. My alcohol abuse knew no difference between 5a.m. and 5p.m. toward the end of my drinking days.
I liked what the man who would become my sponsor had to say. He spoke quietly, and talked about how he used to be, and what his life was like now. There was never a false note. He didn't seem to be shoveling out a pile of shit to make himself sound good. If he had something to say, he said it; and if he didn't, he listened. He appeared to be calm, serene, and genuinely happy with life. I wanted what he had.
I was thrilled when he agreed to sponsor me, and we started to work right away on the steps to recovery. He helped me get my life back on track. When a situation had me ready to pull my hair out, he would look at me with his calm, blue eyes and say "Bill, why are you letting that mess with your serenity?" or "What part have you played in the situation?" He had a gentle way of turning my pointing finger back at myself.
When he shared his experience, strength, and hope in meetings, people were eager to listen. He was a gentleman, and after he had his brief say, he would always conclude with "I'm glad you are all here this morning. Thanks for letting me share."
Tonight, after I close the office, I will pay my respects to him at a funeral home across town. Tomorrow I will attend a lakeside memorial service in the country. My sadness will ease as time passes, but my gratitude for having this remarkable man in my life will never waver.












My StumbleUpon Page



14 comments:
What a wonderful and eloquent tribute to your friend - thank you for sharing your memories of him. And I am so sorry for your loss, that goes without saying (saying it anyway, though).
I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm grateful he was there for you when you needed him and helped you on your journey. My prayers are with you.
He sounds like a fine gentleman.
Isn't it great that you were able to get some of what he had? And now you can pass it along.
Oh, Bill, I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like a gem of a man.
hey Bill, so sorry about your sponsor, yes like you said at least he didn't suffer long, cancer is an awful thing, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
He loved and respected you. He passed on to you what was so freely given him. What a beautiful program we have.
He seems to have left this world a better place. That is a glorious gift.
That was a marvelous way to share with us this man who has meant so much to you. As you move through grief may you come to hold your memories of him with much joy.
Bill, I am so sorry for your loss of such an important person in your life. It is a blessing that he didn't have to suffer. Cancer is such an evil disease. Take care of yourself dear.
Such a blow. Somehow, I'm sure he sees this tribute, and I'm sure it touches his heart, as he touched yours. Extra hugs to you, bro.
I am so sorry, Bill. You were blessed to have him in this life. He is dwelling in God's perfect love now. Be at peace.
Sorry to hear this Bill.
I am so sorry, Bill. How wonderful that you and he got to share a little part of the journey.
It's wonderful that you appreciated your sponsor so much. He'll always be an important part of you as you, too, reach out to help others.
I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm happy that he was able to touch the lives of so many people so positively.
Post a Comment