Thursday, December 31, 2009

Cruel Shoes & Evil Topcoats

In my previous post, I mentioned going to Amsterdam, and that I would have more photographs to share. I certainly enjoyed having my trusty cheap digital camera with me on my journey, and I am sure that the camera has already paid for itself compared to the money I would have spent on film over the past year. The picture there on the left shows my flight path across the Atlantic; or, perhaps they're bird tracks in the snow on a bridge across the Amstel River.

I traveled with David, and assisted him with getting his cats moved to Amsterdam. I was limited to one carry-on suitcase, since my other bag was a cat-carrier. David needed my checked-bag allowance for his second suitcase. I like traveling light, so this was a challenge I welcomed. I packed clothing that was in one color palette, and it worked out very well.

One dilemma was deciding what coat to take. The other was shoes.

I checked average December weather conditions before I packed, and consulted with Suzanne who, after all, has lived there for four years. Sure enough, I was making my first trip to Amsterdam during the coldest, rainiest month. Yippee! I reconsidered my plan to wear my leather bomber jacket with shearling collar. Wet leather is heavy, and not very warming. I decided on my long, dark green coat which is great in the rain. A late warning from Suzanne that the weather had turned very cold convinced me to take the coat's liner. I was dismayed to find that the coat liner filled half of my suitcase. Reluctantly, I zipped it into the coat and resigned myself to a sort of Paddington Bear appearance while I traveled.

A solitary late-night walk in Suzanne's neighborhood.


I dreamed I was a film-noir star as I walked the lonely side streets.

I love my green coat, which hits at mid-calf, because it's versatile and lightweight. It's also evil. In cold weather, the coat and I are sometimes at odds because of the triboelectric effect. I am constantly suffering shocks from static electricity, and am made timid & frightened by blue sparks at my fingertips.

Bridges and canals were everywhere.

Adding the liner to the coat intensifies the static discharge, and I am dismayed to discover that simply touching the coat makes it crackle & pop. Throwing it over my arm guarantees a shock, and taking the coat off after wearing it causes me to waver & worry when approaching any metal object. Nonetheless, I was happy for its warmth in Amsterdam, but I wish it hadn't caused me to be so jumpy.

Many commercial areas featured their own "signature" Christmas decorations, such as this street with chandeliers.

Suzanne advised me to forget an extra pair of shoes in favor of warmer clothing, so I had to choose carefully which shoes to wear. Recently, I have concluded that my athletic shoes are causing my Achilles tendons to ache terribly. It was hard to admit the truth of this. The sneakers, once so comfortable, were making lengthy walks impossible.

At first I scoffed. "Why, it can't be these shoes! Maybe I spent too much time on my feet today," I would muse (I have a desk job). Once upon a time, these shoes made me feel relaxed and at ease. I would slip them on when I came home from work. They were the solution; my "go to" shoes when I wanted comfort. Then they turned on me, but I tried to deny it. I kept putting them on hoping for a different result. My relationship with these shoes was similar to my relationship with alcohol.

I settled on a reliable pair of brown Cole-Haan shoes.


The photograph above shows what it was like taking a bike-taxi tour of Amsterdam. My feet were still tender from the last episode with my cruel shoes, so after we walked a bit one evening, Suzanne suggested trying a bike-taxi. Our driver (cabbie?) was a cheerful young man who was most agreeable, accommodating, and certifiably bonkers. He took us on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and that bike-taxi fit through places it was never intended to venture. At one point, we appeared to be hopelessly jammed between a building and a barrier, but he told us to stay put while he hopped out and hoisted the cab a little to the right, a bit to the left, and we were off again, careening through the crowds and causing people to leap for safety.

"Look at us! We're still alive!"


This might be Dam Square, but it went by so fast...


It's Christmastime in Amsterdam!


A quiet cafe, away from all the noise.

After a couple of days in Amsterdam, I came to a few conclusions based on observation.
There are a lot of bicyclists in Amsterdam, and you'd better watch out for them when you are walking around.
Public transportation can be an efficient, clean, and wonderful experience.
Toilets are in very small closets.
If you ask for coffee with cream, the best you can hope for is a blank stare. Ask for milk.
People get really excited about cold weather & the possibility of ice-skating. Tune in to the local news if you don't believe me.


Suzanne's apartment is a half-block from the Amstel River.


Boats and buildings line the Amstel River.


This house near Vondelpark featured lovely decorative sills.


We ducked inside the Nederland Filmmuseum to warm up when we visited Vondelpark.


I loved the tile in the lobby of the Filmmuseum, and I probably looked like an idiot taking a picture of the floor, but I wanted you to see it.


Suzanne & I spent part of an afternoon strolling through Vondelpark.


Cool car with nice paint job.


After walking the city, we stopped at Suzanne's shop for some warmth & comfort.


Ah...The Taco Shop! Conveniently located just around the corner from Suzanne, Brett, and David's new apartment. We enjoyed their Mexican food on a cold night in Holland.


Centraal Station, where I boarded a train to Schiphol Airport for an interesting trip home.


Here I am on the pre-dawn train to Schiphol Airport.


How long will it take me to get home? Will I be able to find my car at Dulles Airport? What obstacles will I face before I get to snuggle up in my own bed?

Stay tuned for more adventures on & off Planet Bill!

7 comments:

Lidian said...

This makes me want to go visit Amsterdam again, right now! Can't wait for Part 2!

Java said...

I'm very glad you took a picture of the floor. I love that tile pattern!
So you were Paddington Bill, were you?

Scott W said...

It's truly beautiful there. It appears clean, too. In that last picture you look like a Woodard. And that is a HUGE coat!

Suzanne said...

Beeeeeeel!!!!! What a wonderful tribute to our surprise time together. Sooo glad you have your pics of our adventures, they are truly better than the ones I inadvertently deleted, so all's well that ends well.

I laughed out loud on your recount of our Bike Taxi. I honestly think we simply sat in gales of laughter the entire time. But it really is a great way to see the center of Amsterdam when your feet get tired. Also, it gives you an idea of what it's like to see the city by bicicyle without the terror of operating one yourself. Great post!

MonsieurMonsieur said...

Get ready for a pat down! Bon Voyage.

Lemuel said...

Marvelous pictures!
Your comment about everyone getting excited about ice skating finds a parallel in my recent visit to Canada, only the excitement is all about ice hockey.

dAAve said...

I lived there in the 90's and have the same pictures. Even the same picture of the same car.
Unfortunately, I don't recall many of the things I did while there and the things I do remember should not be talked about.