Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fright Elevator

I had to take the fright elevator up to my office this morning, because they posted this notice in the lobby yesterday advising us that the passenger elevators would be out of service.

The placard was a bit misleading, because the freight elevator isn't half as terrifying as the passenger elevators. The cornerstone of the building says 1958, and I think the main elevators are held together with mid-century spit, fishing line, and a dab of library paste. The elevators break down frequently, but usually not simultaneously. Oddly enough, my cell phone works fine in the elevator cabs, so it would be fairly simple to call for help if I got stranded. This is especially comforting when I work Saturdays, and seem to be the only person in the building.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will relocate the office soon from the sixth to the third floor, which will mean I can eschew the lifts in favor of the escalators which serve floors one through four. The escalators break down, too, but I think an escape plan would be easier to manage compared to a stalled elevator.

3 comments:

Not Important said...

Although some of the people I've seen who step very tentatively onto an escalator may panic a bit if it were to stop.

Scott W said...

So confusing!

Suzanne said...

That typo is hilarious. There must be a website somewhere that could use that. I love your new office related girlie pinups and coffee captions.