Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

Whew!

It's the day after Christmas, and it's a rainy, chilly, beautiful day in Virginia. I had a very nice Christmas Day, and the great thing about it is that I will remember it! I couldn't tell you what I did last Christmas, but I'm sure a gin bottle had a starring role. I started my day bright and early with a meeting, came home and fed my neighbor's cat, puttered around my house, and then enjoyed an afternoon nap. I went to dinner with Sheldon and his family, which gave me the chance to meet his very nice mom, and after dinner Sheldon and I went to an evening meeting.


I had planned to volunteer time at a food line at the Salvation Army or similar charity, but it turned out that they had plenty of volunteers on Christmas Day. However, folks need to be fed every day, so I will have the chance to help out on another day.


I've learned a lot, changed a lot, and been given many valuable gifts in 2007. Here's what I've been thinking about this morning:


  • sobriety is not the same as not drinking

  • willingness is the key to a better life

  • if I can find spirituality, anyone can

  • unsettling situations are not permanent

  • patience isn't granted with a magic wand; it takes practice

  • I don't have to like something to accept it

  • the earth keeps spinning even when I don't try to control the revolution

  • surrendering control frees me to enjoy life

  • some friends cannot accept my sobriety, but new friends step into their place

  • my mother wrote the book on good housekeeping

  • I don't have to like someone to learn from them

  • there's beauty in a rainy day

  • when I do all the talking, I only learn what I already know

  • I'm never really alone

  • alcohol did not enhance my good qualities

  • I have a lot more to learn

  • serenity is as obtainable as I choose to make it

  • when I give, I receive more than I could have imagined

  • a new year starts every single day

3 comments:

Scott W said...

What a great list!

I bet your New Year will be fabulous, too!

I am off to enjoy one of those glorious afternoon naps. Work was hard today!

Pammie said...

What a wonderful list Bill.
I am glad you had a nice Christmas, and that gin was not a guest. Sober holidays are smoother going down....don't you think?

Birdie said...

I have just discovered your blog by linking through a comment on Soooo-this-is-me. What a wonderful entry to find! Every bit of it is worth thoughtful examination. I'm looking forward to reading more of your future posts and going back and finding more gems like the praying mantis adventure.

Have a great New Year!

Birdie