I shot this photograph on my way home from work one evening. I'm glad I did, because when I drove past the other night, the sign had been fixed and now says Princess Cleaners. B O R I N G.I'm tired of cold, damp, bone-chilling weather.
But I'm grateful that my car has seat heaters. We are entering that phase of the winter of my discontent when I begin longing for warm weather. Still, we have not had a bad time of it here in Virginia, so I'm glad for that. You know those ear-warmers that look like thick headbands? The beanies-without-tops thingies that keep your ears and forehead all snuggly? I have one of those from L.L. Bean, and it will probably turn up one day in August when I need it most.
I've got a few photos for you to look at today. These homes are in Richmond's Northside district. Richmond is set up on an east-west axis. This orientation is based on the course of the James River. Most of Richmond's growth pushed westward, which meant that businessmen had the sun in their eyes to & from work. Lewis Ginter, 19th century Mr. Everything, decided to purchase and develop land north of downtown for gracious living.
Lewis Ginter bought up several hundred acres of farmland, laid roads, installed a sewer system, drilled artesian wells, and planted thousands of shade trees & miles of hedges. He even negotiated an extension of the city's electric trolley car line to Ginter Park for even easier commuting. The neighborhood was joined by others like Bellevue, Sherwood Park, and Barton Heights. Residential growth in the area continued in fits & starts from the late 1800's through the period prior to the Great Depression. You can see the range of years in the photos below.
In the 1950's, Chamberlayne Avenue was designated as Route 1, which brought commercial growth but changed the posh air of the immediate area. Tourist homes popped up, and several of the mansions were converted to nursing homes. Whores and junkies are common sights along this stretch of Route 1 these days, and the beautiful homes sit uneasily a few blocks away.
Here are a couple of the older homes. You can see that these pictures were taken on overcast days.
A few blocks away you will find a neighborhood of homes built in the 1920's. The brick home built in the English Cottage-style is my favorite.
The house below is where my friends Jeff & Vicki live. My favorite room is the one behind the windows on the shed dormer on the third floor. It's very cozy with sloping ceilings. It would be a perfect place to curl up with a good book.
Now let's have a little sunshine.












My StumbleUpon Page



9 comments:
I like the topmost of the English cottages (brick). It looks so kosey.
The Beetle has heated seats and my wife loves the car for that reason alone.
I love Virginia! Haven't been in a few years, but I did love it when I was there. I am soooo sick of winter here in Ct. This year we seem to be paying for all the mild winters we had been having for the past few years. Oh well, it beats not being here at all.
Those are gorgeous houses...I've never been to Virginia except for the time we drove to DC when I was a kid, and we got lost. And some of the streets were technically in Virginia. But that does not really count.
We are getting tired of winter too, but it is going to be above zero next week, party time in Canada! :)
However did you find that video? *wink* I ♥ AoL's Crucified! Too campy!
I need to come to Virginia sometime.
I'm like Lidian - never been to Virginia except across the river in/from DC. But I have seen so many pictures of the beautiful countryside, I would like to visit someday. The pictures of the houses you have today are gorgeous. Thanks.
I love looking at old, beautiful homes. That's one of the things I love about the east. Keep the pictures coming.
DH and I have been to Williamsburg and surrounding area a few times. So much history and beautiful architecture.
Beautiful homes. Everyone loved the blueberry custard pie yesterday. Thanks for the recipe.
I'll say it again, you really know how to photograph a house, Mister, and one day a real estate is gonna snap you up and pay you the serieux do-re-mi.
You are providing a service here! Very interesting piece.
And I was just saying this morning that I am longing for sun. This is not a super fantastic time to be in Amsterdam, blarg. They are (wisely) running adverts for Mediterranean spots nonstop, and man, I can't wait to get down there, but no plans yet. Cheerio!
What I've seen of Richmond begs a return trip. It seems most of the historic buildings in our country reside in the mid-Atlantic region.
Not to rain on your parade, but I'm heading to Florida today for my annual visit home. This time I'm going to make it to the Keys for the first time ever! I'll be thinking of all y'all back here in the gray cold.
Post a Comment