I went to bed early so that I'd be rested today. I watched a documentary about Abe & Mary Lincoln before I nodded off. I usually read when I go to bed, but I'm working on a humongous book right now that could kill or paralyze me if it dropped on my head when I start drowsing. There's something about reading or watching a movie that works on me like Sleeping Beauty's spindle. It's great to be able to fall asleep quickly, compared to the tossing & turning I used to experience. The pitfall is that I regularly turn an ordinary feature-length film into a mini-series. It gets a little aggravating, especially since I should be getting these things back in the mail to Netflix as quickly as possible. I've been watching this daggone Lincoln chronicle for over a week now. It makes no difference how interesting it is, either. Ten, fifteen minutes tops, and I'm adrift in the wooden shoe with Wynken, Blynken, and Nod.
I saw my share of movies when I was little, but my parents did not take me to every children's movie that hit the big screen. I remember loving Disney's The Jungle Book and The Aristocats. Also That Darned Cat!, The Shaggy Dog, and The Absent-Minded Professor. Doctor Dolittle seemed like the movie that would never end, but maybe Anthony Newley annoyed the hell out of me even as a child.
Swiss Family Robinson made me look at my treehouse with a critical eye. Why couldn't I live in a treehouse like the Robinson family? Where was my giant water wheel? I had to go to the garden hose to get water. My treehouse seemed mundane after seeing that movie. And instead of an ostrich, I had an ordinary old beagle.
There were quite a few movies that I didn't see until I became an adult. Bambi, for example, and Sleeping Beauty. I still haven't seen Pinocchio, believe it or not. I didn't see Mary Poppins until a few years ago. Perhaps my parents thought it was too dark. I can understand that, after looking at the trailer below.












My StumbleUpon Page



9 comments:
oh you know what's great about those old disney movies? They beat anything of the rubbish that's screened today that's for sure. My two younger ones love old disney movies and cartoons etc. And btw nooo more of winter at your end, it means we'll have more of summer, I really want autumn it's too hooottt!
I think I saw most all of those movies as a child including Pinocchio. I loved Swiss Family Robinson, but then I had a crush on James MacArthur. Mary Poppins holds a special place for me. It's fantasy brought me back to reality when I myself was in a very dark place.
That trailer cracked me up. I wouldn't have watched Mary Poppins if they showed this trailer back then.
My sons are grown up, but still love these old Disney Movies. And can you believe that to this day I've never watched Bambi. Spoiler alert..i heard her mama dies, thats why I never watched it.
The one movie that always scared me as a kid was The Wizard of Oz..but I loved it just the same.
We *might* be about the same age because I remember seeing most of the same movies in the cinema.(Saturdays) And yes--"Dr. Doolittle" was annoying--I have no positive memories from that.
"Alice In Wonderland" freaked me out(had to be taken ut of the cinema becasue of my crying) and I loved all the movies with Kurt Russell in them.
Blog hopping tonight--nice to find yours.
"Greetings" from RI says MY postcard. ;-)
I can still remember going to see Mary Poppins at the theater before I was in kindergarten. I still have not and will never see "Bambi."
"The Yearling" about tore me up!
Bambi is terrifying to young children. Disney picked a child's greatest fear, losing your mother, and put in up on a huge screen in Technicolor. When I took my younger brother to see it, half the children in the theatre were helping Bambi find his mother. Cries of "Mother!" "Mother!" rang through the theatre.
I think your movie trailer is spot-on for "Mary Poppins." When I saw it as a kid, I wondered why everyone loved Mary. She wasn't very nice at all.
Having said that, I do love Disney kid flicks. I think "Toy Story 2" is one of the best kid movies ever made.
Spoonful of sugar = special Kool Aid. Be careful.
I hardly ever went to the movies as a kid - I think I only saw Sound of Music on the big screen, and that was quite the occasion, Jordan almonds and all. No Disney, until I had kids of my own. Now we are in the post-Disney phase...
Have you ever read the Mary Poppins books? She is even stranger and more menacing in those.
My sister took me to see Fantasia for my birthday when it was re-issued in 1952. The sister couldn't take most of the animation, especially the abstract stuff, and had to go to the ladies room to throw up.
Fantasia remains my favourite Disney film to this day.
Thanks for bringing back the memories.
Post a Comment