Do you ever have one of those days where you think it's another day of the week? On Tuesday I thought it was Thursday. Wednesday I tried to make it be Thursday, also, and it wouldn't. I was in a local grocery store, saw that they had eggs on their daily special for Thursday, and had picked up two dozen before I realized I was a day early for the bargain price. Today I keep thinking it's Friday.
No surprise, then, that I started to name this post Double Feature Friday, but came to my senses before I did so. Our first feature today shows recently discovered archival footage of my pal in Texas, Scott, getting dressed when he was a youngster. It seems he's always been fussy about his appearance.
I've been on an old movie kick lately. Through the advancements in media technology, tons of old films are now available, and the list keeps growing. I went on a Val Lewton junket for awhile. Despite the lurid titles that the studio insisted upon (I Walked with a Zombie, Isle of the Dead, and the like), his movies were actually quite well done. I Walked with a Zombie was a Caribbean version of Jane Eyre, except the mysterious wife was a zombie instead of a madwoman. His Curse of the Cat People, despite its lurid title, is more of a psychological study of childhood fantasies than horror film.
Another movie I enjoyed recently was The House on Telegraph Hill, directed by Robert Wise, starring Valentina Cortesa and Richard Basehart. It was a hybrid film which had elements of film noir and the woman-in-peril genres. Valentina Cortesa swaps her identity with that of a dead friend, and we know that nothing good ever comes from that. How many times did we hear this from our mothers when we were kids: "You may play in the neighborhood for one hour, but remember to look both ways before you cross the street and don't swap identities with any of your dead friends." Bette Davis learned that lesson in Dead Ringer when she murdered her wealthy sister & assumed her identity, and then got nabbed for murder anyway because her sister had killed her own husband.
Now that we've had our Intermission, it's time for our next feature film, Backpacker Cat, which was sent to me by Scott, and I've watched it frequently when I need a calm moment. Laetitia & Guillaume, a French couple, began a walking trip in October 2008 from Miami to the tip of South America. In Louisiana, they found a stray kitten in the middle of the road, and Kitty has been with them on their journey ever since.
I just love this clip.
Backyard Birding
3 days ago












My StumbleUpon Page



6 comments:
LOL those are cute. Loved the cat one, wonder if he took off when they stopped for a break?
I also loved the cat vid, but I would be fearful that he would jump off at a very bad time.
The reason he still has trouble with that pullover is becuase ...
YOU'VE OUTGROWN IT, SCOTT!!
The little boy had too many toys thus adding to his frustration ;)
I kind of want a cat now. I'll ask Theo if he is interested.
So, is that the yellow pullover sweater that I found while sneaking for Christmas presents? I just knew it was for me and Christmas morning So got it!
Sometimes I think an extra day has been put into the week and no one knows it.
I thought today was Tuesday and it was Wednesday. What a nice surprise! Thanks for the e-mails too Bill. Poor little guy, I really wanted to help him. It was all the guitars fault though.
Post a Comment