Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Holiday Meal (redux)

It's that time of the year when everything seems to go faster and faster. I have a list in my head of all the things I'd like to accomplish during the holidays, but I'm taking a realistic attitude toward everything. If some items do not get crossed off the list, the world will probably keep spinning. Most holiday stress, even though it is fueled by merchants and media hype, is self-induced. I'm going to take a look at the things I am happy to have, instead of the things I lack.

I hope everyone takes time to relax during the upcoming days, and spends some time with love ones. In the spirit of Thanksgiving cheer, I'm dusting off an older post. Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!


Debbie carried the last steaming dish into the dining room and positioned it on the beautifully laid table. She beamed at Don, noting with approval that her husband had already carved half of the turkey. Her children, Corey and Chelsea, were just seating themselves, and Steve and Susan were placing their napkins in their laps.

"This looks good, Mom," said Corey. "I'm starved!"

The mingled aromas of roast turkey and dressing, fresh rolls, candied yams, and pumpkin-spice tapers hovered over the assembled family. Everyone looked freshly scrubbed and well-dressed, and the polished silver gleamed in the mid-afternoon light.

Another Holiday Meal with the family.


"Shit!" cried Don, a streak of blood splashing from his thumb to the off-white carpet as he staggered toward the kitchen. "Are you trying to kill me with them damned sharp knives?"

"Sweetie, do you need help?" Debbie called after her husband. "Here, Susan, will you start passing the vegetables while I check on Don?" Debbie hurried into the kitchen, and Don's slurred curses were muffled as the door swung shut behind her.

"Here, y'all, just pass me your plates and I'll load them up," declared Susan, grabbing a plate from Chelsea's place beside hers. "We need to fatten you up, Chelsea! But, you know, I think your face looks a little bit fuller than last time I saw you."

"Oh, God! Really?? Am I fat?" Chelsea bolted from the table.

"Gimme her plate. I'm hungry," Corey yelled, reaching out a pudgy hand to take Chelsea's brimming plate.

"Boy, you look like you done started Thanksgiving way back in January," sneered Steve. "Say, is that eye-shadow you's wearin'?"

"As a matter of fact, yes it is, Uncle Steve. But don't worry, I didn't steal yours, or the panties I found in your man-purse...oh, sorry, satchel," retorted Corey.

"Er, I'd better check on Chelsea. See if she needs help," sputtered Steve, heading toward the bathroom, where the sound of retching could be heard.

"Steve, you stay away from that girl," shrilled his wife Susan, frantically.

"Here," Corey grabbed the plate from a distracted Aunt Susan along with two extra rolls, and lumbered off down the hall. "I'm eating in my room."

Debbie's tearful muffled voice came through the kitchen door, "Don, put down that damned bottle. You promised! Give it to me now!"

"Stay away from me, Uncle Steve! I don't want you to rub my back!" Chelsea screamed from the bathroom.

Susan, alone at the table, looked around sadly. "What was that weird looking stuff in the green beans?" she wondered. "Didn't Debbie know that Rachel Ray said you should never try anything new or different at a Family Holiday Meal?"


I hope your Thanksgiving dinner fell somewhere between Norman Rockwell Advertisement-Unreality and Totally Dysfunctional Family Ordeal.

15 comments:

Scott W said...

LOL

I think the old Bill is back!

Mine fell in there somewhere. It was lovely and spent with a bunch of alcoholics! Imagine!

Bill said...

The important thing, Scott, is that all the alcoholics are in recovery!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Bill, this made me laugh so much! It started with the lady serving the KFC instead of turkey!

The first picture made me a little sad, it made me think of all the mothers and grandmothers who over the years spent hours slaving over a stove only to have the man who sat there the whole time doing nothing, act like a king, carve the turkey and take credit for her work, while she went back to her stove where they thought she belonged and waited hand and foot on family and guests. Sad really.

Steven

Anonymous said...

Love this one Bill. I also liked the pickup on the "man" taking the credit for the woman's hard work, sitting back like a king. Thank GOD those days are over, or at least, never happened for me!

Lisa

Jackson said...

Your blog is interesting. You may find the information on my blog helpful. It is designed to provide answers to important aspects of driving and maintaining older vehicles. I have helped readers to save money through the knowledge gained my posts. Knowledge is Power. Even if my blog os not for you us bloggers should support each other. We all have to eat, Thanks

sharonsjourney said...

Thanks for stopping by. Your story is sad, I feel for Susan, after her slaving at the stove, then to get that, from Bill. I like your post, I will visit again, one alcoholic blogger to another. My Thanisgiving was lovely, I enjoyed it very much, with my sister, & her partner. No dysfunction goin on, imagine that!

Unknown said...

oh thanx.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm if that's what happens to you all then I'm glad I live in the UK. But you just know someone, somewhere is telling a similer story but it ends with them saying
"It was our best Thanksgiving ever"

Karen said...

Love the last picture in this post. It's been kinda quiet around here. I stopped by to see how you're doing, watered the plants for you while you're gone.

K

Pammie said...

I "heart" Bill.
:)

Scott W said...

You kept the old comments? Cos I was thinking what I was gonna comment and it was pretty close to the one already there. Silly boy!

Birdie said...

The older I get, the better my family looks. I used to think we were dysfunctional. No more. Thanks again for the reminder!

Lemuel said...

I fear mine will be like the totally dysfunctional family style.

Jen said...

Happy Thanksgiving Bill, I tagged you with a Thanksgiving meme...http://redheadranting.blogspot.com/

Daniela said...

Hi Bill, I had alot to catch up on.Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

DAniela