Saturday, November 29, 2008

An American Tragedy

fail owned pwned pictures
see more pwn and owned pictures

I hope none of my readers has killed anyone in their zeal to find Christmas gifts this year. Can you believe that story about the Walmart greeter getting trampled to death? I can't say I was surprised, but I certainly was disgusted. Someone told me that the remaining crowd was angry that they couldn't get inside to shop, and had to be told "No. You've already killed someone. We're closed."

I avoid that store unless I have a very compelling reason to be there. My cousin in Iowa sent me an idea recently that I'll share just in case you must shop at Walmart in the near future. It's Walmart Bingo, but you'll have to make your own game cards because I'm not clever enough to copy it from her e-mail message to this post. Here are the things that go on your Bingo card:

  • child without shoes
  • woman with hair curlers
  • someone with an eye patch
  • "rat tail" hair style
  • obese person using scooter
  • Rebel flag tee-shirt
  • white girl with 3+ multi-racial children
  • someone using an oxygen mask
  • kid riding a bike in store
  • frozen food item left to melt in random aisle
  • dirt diaper left in parking lot
  • someone using a voice box
  • (free space) person oblivious to the fact that they are in your way
  • bearded woman
  • teardrop tattoo
  • child over 5 drinking from baby bottle
  • someone buying beer and diapers
  • entire family wearing NASCAR apparel
  • man under 30 with no teeth
  • somone missing a limb
  • someone giving away kittens
  • someone with puke or blood on their clothes
  • unattended crying children
  • pregnant woman with visible "tramp stamp" tattoo
  • someone with unbearable body odor

I haven't started my Christmas shopping yet. I'll probably do most of it on the Internet. Some folks enjoy the holiday crowds, but I'd rather eat ground glass. I'm the new Scrooge.

On a lighter note, I took my first ever Yoga lesson today. It was very enjoyable and relaxing. I'll probably wake up sore tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to the next lesson. It's too good of a deal to pass up because there's no charge. My sponsor is a Yoga instructor and a Feldenkrais healer, and he is giving free lessons prior to our Saturday morning AA meeting. Sweet!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill! After working in retail for over ten years, I was not the least bit surprised by this horrible news. Now that I have out of reatil for ten years, I am just now starting to enjoy the holidays. I will never shop on BlackFriday...ever. People get so mean and nasty. I loved the Bingo game, In a few weeks the people who have not been out of the house since last Christmas will be arriving to do their shopping. The wife will be wearing some sort of screen print T-shirt with no bra and a mens quilted flannel shirt as a coat. They will have their pregnant teenage daughter and her boyfriend with them. Along with Christmas gifts they will be purchasing lots of toilet paper, cigarettes and beef jerky. They will pay in cash. OK they probably all could use a bath, but I always found these folks patient and polite, a lot nicer than welfare Moms.

Good luck with the yoga!

Daniela said...

OH NO,I'm a bingo game. I have shopped with blood on my clothes. Not my blood mind you, but blood nontheless. Of course, I am usually wearing scrubs. And I have to be desperate to shop right after work. Next time I'll wear my stethoscope to explain the blood.

I read about the Walmart trampling and was disgusted too. Not just at the pushy shoppers, but at Walmart. I can't believe they had one man open the doors to all those people. It was like sending a lamb to the slaughter. The poor guy was just doing his job.

Scott W said...

Bingo card on it's way to you via email.

I am taking my cold and going to bed now.

Not Important said...

I, too, am not surprised, other than that it only happened once. Tragic.

Lidian said...

Such a terrible tragedy, as you say. I also like shopping via the internet, and actually will be glad when it is all past. I prefer the time in between Christmas and New Year's, still festive but nice and quiet.

Glad you are enjoying yoga, it is brilliant. I used to take classes a long time ago and have been meaning to do so again. You might inspire me in '09!

Not Important said...

I added a Walmart Bingo Generator on my blog over here.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Birdie said...

The Wal-Mart tragedy was the fault of the ugly crowd. But I won't shop any time at Wal-Mart because a study proved that they lower the standard of living in EVERY community they invade by a minimum of 5%. They will establish a new location only if they get massive and longterm tax breaks that must be compensated for by local businesses and residents. Those same people lose business and jobs due to Wal-Mart's presence. It's a no-win situation. Spend a few extra dollars elsewhere to keep local businesses profitable.

dAAve said...

Now I wanna go to Walmart.

Jen said...

Walmart scares me. A few years ago the Target in our area was remodeling into a Super Duper Target and were closed during the process. I was forced to shop at Walmart and it was horrible. I will admit that when I did shop there I wasn't worried about the way I looked or smelled. I'm sure I had puke on my clothing too since it was when the little one was an infant and I always wore puke on my left shoulder. We can't buy liquor in Targets, WalMarts or grocery stores in Minnesota but if we could I would have bought wine and diapers. So I guess I am guilty of at least two offenses.

Amypie71 said...

yeah I read that news story from here the other day, weirdly enough there was a tv special on about the top 10 bad shopping experiences and Christmas bargain hunting in different stores in your country featured ALOT. Mind you, I'm sure it happens everywhere but is sure is scary!

Suzanne said...

I echo Birdie's remarks about Walmart. Shame on them. But the BEST part of this entry is that newspaper clipping, the gem about the dress code for Dollar store versus Walmart. Who knew?