Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Castaways

Thinking back to your childhood, what changes did you go through in a four-year span? Four years is a long time in the life of a child. I remember thinking after each Christmas that Santa's next visit would take forever. Meanwhile, without even realizing what was occurring, I was going through amazing changes from one year to the next.

The growth of a child doesn't wait. It cannot be put "on hold." I've always thought it strange that I don't remember my infancy, when my mental and physical development was at its peak. Living each hour was an explosion of experiences that refined my motor skills, vocalization capabilities, cognitive thinking, and ability to interact with the world around me.

As I learned the basics of moving, talking, eating, and controlling my bowels and bladder, my parents also taught me how to interact with other people. They taught me to use good manners, obey rules, consider the safety of myself and others, and share my toys. My parents were the stewards of my development. I am grateful that I had such loving and responsible guardians.

I feel a bit unsettled today. I'll tell you why, and maybe you can help me out by sharing your comments with me. I had mixed feelings when I heard about Florida's State Supreme Court decision concerning gay adoption. For those of you who may not have heard, a judge ruled that the state law blocking gays from adopting children is unconstitutional.

Why do I have mixed feelings? First of all, I am happy about that decision. The state, though, intends to appeal it. They think it is horrifying. They cite studies that show that gays are more likely to abuse drugs and alcohol, and that gay relationships are less stable than heterosexual marriages. I am sure that we will be treated to newscasts of outraged citizens bitterly denouncing the judge's ruling.

Where are these people when it comes to opening their homes to foster children? For years the state of Florida has been using gay households as dumping grounds for the "undesirable" children in need of foster care. Does the kid have mental, physical, or behavioral problems? Are they "too old" to adopt? Diseased? Ugly? Halt or lame? Stick those kids on the list for queers. Hell, they'll take any scraps we throw them. We'll save these shiny-looking kids for the choosy heterosexual foster parents.

Let me be clear. I think these kids are valuable. But the state of Florida does not. Otherwise why would they have allowed these two children to live in foster care for four years with gay men, when the state's position is that their home is unfit and dangerous for adoption?

Here's an interesting quotation pulled from a news article:
John Stemberger, chairman of a successful drive earlier this month to pass a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage in Florida, called the ruling
"classic judicial activism" and predicted it would be reversed on appeal.
"Everywhere in the law where children are affected, the standard must always be what is in the best interest of the child," said Stemberger, an attorney in Orlando. "What is stunning to me is that when it comes to dealing with gays, that standard goes out the window. Children do better with a mother and a father."

Oh, really? How many children does Mr. Stemberger foster in his pleasant home? In the landmark case the children are ages 4 and 8, and have been in the care of Martin Gill and his partner since 2004. That's a lifetime for one child, and half a lifetime for the other.

When I was a teenager, over half of my close friends were being raised by single parents, resulting from unsuccessful heterosexual marriages. Of the others, two lived in homes with unhappily married parents. One friend broke down in tears one afternoon and told me that her parents' marriage was horrible; her father had slept on the couch in the den for years and was an alcoholic. From the outside, she seemed to be from an all-American home, but the emotional turmoil inside that home had her marrying the leader of a religious cult within a few years. Having a mother and a father coexisting under the same roof did not make her "do better."

Awhile back I saw a documentary about two gay men, both nurses in a pediatric AIDS unit, who took five children into their home that no one else wanted. They fed them, clothed them, educated them, hauled them to after-school activities if they lived long enough, kept them on their individual daily medicines, disciplined them, and loved them. One of the fellows gave up his career to provide at-home care to these sick children. The film is We Are Dad, and here is what one viewer had to say about it:

By chance I had the honor to see We Are Dad. It totally changed my mind regarding adoptive gay parents. I grew up with the (wrong) notion (given to me
by the adults around me) that gay parents couldn't provide a healthy medium for a developing child to be raised in. Come on! How many nuclear families screwed up their kids. And these two gay guys are the best. After seeing it and pondering about it I am a lot more inclined to be all for gay marriage and adoption by gay parents. I am really glad I saw this factual film. It opened my eyes, mind, and heart. I recommend to anyone to see it. You will have more facts with this documentary on which to base your opinions so you can also give it established on some ground and not only on discrimination and narrowness of mind like I did.

Florida should put its money where its mouth is. If they think gays make unsuitable parents, then don't use them as foster parents. Let the straight Floridians take on the burdens from broken heterosexual relationships. Instead, the state says that gay households are unfit for adoption, but sees no hypocrisy in funneling its unwanted children into them for foster care.

Now, with this recent court decision, it will be interesting to see how Florida, and the rest of the nation, reacts.

7 comments:

Skippy said...

I didn't know that about Florida's taking advantage of gay foster parents, that's ridiculous. But as a native Floridian who can't stand the state and rarely goes back, I can't really speak for it. I'm glad the amendment got overturned, it bodes well for Florida's families. Just sucks about proposition 2 :o(


My stepmom said that she and my dad were going to a meeting for parents with gay kids and I said "oh, is it PFLAG?" (cause my oldest sister is gay, and I heart the gays anyways) and she goes "yes." so I asked if I could come.

Then my dad was like "no, it's a support group for trying to get your kids out of that lifestyle, not into it." Because we all know PFLAG is about making your kids gay. grrrrr that made me angry. Guess I will have to seek out a pflag meeting and go just to spite them ;o)

Lemuel said...

Bouncing off your thought, I find it to be so typical that those who fight against things (such as gay adoption) are most frequently the same ones who will not lift a finger to help the victims. I see it in the refusal to permit sex education in schools, to ban abortions, etc. and then do nothing to provide the social support networks for unwed mothers (and fathers) and nothing in terms of social support programs for the families attempting to raise these children.

Their hypocrisy is legendary!

Scott W said...

Until we have equal rights the books will always be lopsided. There is so much going on right now with reference to creating an environment that will eventually give way to we gays having the protection of the law. It's slow going, but in the end it will be worth it.

Java said...

This brings together two things that are very near to my heart, adoption and the lgbt community. I agree with you, it's at best hypocritical to allow gays to foster the hard-to-place children, then deny them the right to adopt. The day to day care of children, whether adopted or fostered is pretty much the same. I have fostered before, and my husband and I have adopted two children, and I know of which I speak.

There are so many children who need to be loved and to know they are part of a forever family. There are men and men, women and women who long to give a forever home to young people. And it makes no sense to deny gays or singles to adopt if they want to and can show they are capable of doing so. I feel very strongly about this!

Anonymous said...

I think I saw that documentary also, very touching. Also focused on the descrimination these men faced in their own families. Why does there have to be legislation at all. Does it say specifically that a man and a woman constitute a family?

Amypie71 said...

hey Bill, this is a great post! Personally I don't agree with gay adoption but putting my feelings aside I feel that the courts reasons behind their decision are wrong. I think that average heterosexual people are just as likely to abuse drugs and alcohol and their marriages fall apart all the time. It seems very hypocrytical to me in this sense. And you're right when you say that if that's the way they feel then why allow gay people to be foster parents? Once again very hypocritical in my views. Thanks for posting about this :-)

Not Important said...

Lily, the group they're probably attending is PFOX. I won't link to it.