I still enjoy playing board games, and I loved them when I was a kid. My grandfather & I played Uncle Wiggily every day when I came home from kindergarten during his last visit to Virginia Beach. My friends and I played Monopoly, but I don't remember ever finishing a game. Every family had its favorites: Parcheesi, Sorry!, Checkers (regular and Chinese), The Game of Life, Clue, Scrabble.Television provided fertile ground for game seedlings, but most died before the show went off the air. Here are a few shows that sprouted board games: I Dream of Jeannie, Gunsmoke, The Addams Family (and, of course, The Munsters), My Favorite Martian, Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Brady Bunch (and Partridge Family), Dragnet, Gomer Pyle, Get Smart, 77 Sunset Strip. There were many I'm leaving out; if you had a favorite, feel free to tell us about it in a comment.
Popular culture inspired quite a few game crafters. In 1962 a game appeared called The Kennedys, and the box showed a creepy Mt. Rushmore-like illustration of Kennedy heads in a mountain. All but two are dead now, and that count could have changed as I type this. Mystery Date was another pop-culture game, and I secretly wanted to join the girls down the street when they played it.
In 1891 you could play The Errand Boy, which sounds like the title of a gay porn movie. Or so I've been told. There was a board game called Grandmama's Improved Game of Useful Knowledge offered by the McLoughlin Bros. in 1887. I guess it was a precursor to Trivial Pursuit.
My own grandmother developed a mania for Aggravation in her later years, and would ensnare visitors to play it with her at her kitchen table. She could play it for hours. My mother would mutter that the game had the right name when Grandma called her to the table. Grandma's arthritic hands would have fared better with Trouble's Pop-O-Matic dice rolling system of gaming technology.On one of our family trips to Iowa, my cousins Scott & Steve introduced me to Facts in Five, a timed game of knowledge from the bookshelf game series by 3M.
Hmmm.
Five.
That reminds me of something...now what is it?
That human beings and other primates have five digits on each hand as well as five toes on each foot?
No, that's not it.Possibly, I'm probably thinking that No. 5 is the name of the iconic fragrance created by Coco Chanel. Or that in radio communication, the term "five by five" is used to indicate perfect signal strength and clarity. Perhaps, at the back of my mind, I'm pondering how five is the atomic number of boron. Or...The Jackson Five???
Probably, though, I'm thinking about my buddy Scott, and that his five year sobriety anniversary is tomorrow, November 18. I'm really thrilled for him. He's a good friend in sobriety, and his website is a daily source of inspiration and gratitude. And he's smark with a paintbrush, as you can see here.
You can click right here if you'd like to wish him well.
I wish you a Happy 5th, Scotty! It's quite a milestone, and that's a fact.












My StumbleUpon Page



11 comments:
Awww. Thank you.
I grew up in the 1970's and I remember most of those games etc. My favourite was mystery date that belonged to my cousins, I could never figure out why I always got the nerd.
The only games I really played a lot were Scrabble (rainy days on summer vacation!) Monopoly (4th grade open classroom, where you chose what to do - guess what I chose?)
Monopoly.
Clue.
Mille Bornes.
Facts in Five!!!!
LOL!
We still have it! The guys in my dorm used to play that a couple nights a week! After I was married, we play it with our friends. I *love* that game!
I saw a game on one of those nanny shows, and I couldn't remember what it was. Based on the picture above, it was Aggravation. That would be appropriate for the episode.
Happy 5, Scott.
Whoo Hoo So!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill, no doubt So wanted to play the Mystery Date game too. I didn't have that game, in fact it seems like I never wanted it. We played with lots of troll dolls and matchbox cars. I remember one Valentine's day So made a special outfit for one of the trolls. It was white with a heart on it. he he
So said heart on!
I like board games too. Some of the ones are the market right now are very cool. Lots of different strategies to win, lots of little pieces. My favorite right now is called "Puerto Rico" where you produce goods for export to gain points. It's very fun, you have to think 5 steps ahead of yourself.
Check it out of you get a chance.
We used to play board games when I was young as well, mostly in winter. I forget most of the names now. We always received one for Christmas and they were a good way to pass the time, sometimes we could get our Mom to join in.
OMG! We had Facts in Five as kids. In fact the box is in my garage right now waiting to be pitched (I'm sure the pieces are missing). It was a game we didn't play much but since Grandpa worked for 3M we had it, along with gobs and gobs of Scotch Tape.
Monopoly was our game of choice. We would play marathon sessions at the cabin that would only end when someone (Yeah it was me) tossed the board and all the pieces in frustration.
Post a Comment