I've discovered escalators in the 1950's office building where my office is located. They are hidden behind some doors in back of the elevator bank. Do you remember that weird pinky-beige that was so popular in the late 50's and early 60's? If you do, then you know exactly what these escalators look like. They are in an enclosed stairwell of sorts, and I guess they just rumble along all day, although few people seem to use them.They came in very handy over the past couple of weeks, because the elevators were verplunkt. First, one elevator broke down, and then, in a sympathetic gesture, the second elevator followed suit. There is a third set of elevator doors, but rumor has it that there is no actual lift, and that the builders just put them there to add an air of solvency and prosperity to the railroad company that occupied the building initially. Finally, the escalator between the first and second floors joined the fun of the mechanical strike. The freight elevator was pressed into passenger service.
Many people grumbled about taking the freight elevator, especially Jessie from Building Maintenance because he had to run the thing up and down all day long. I just took the stairs or the escalator, although I did take Jessie a piece of chocolate cake one day to keep his spirits from flagging. The odd thing is that the moving stairs only go up to the fourth floor, and my office is on the sixth. I conjecture that originally the lower floors were staffed by secretarial pools and general office staff, so they were told to ride the escalators, while the executives took the elevators to the upper levels. Who knows?
I loved escalators and revolving doors when I was a small child. From my vantage point in a department store, I could see the on/off buttons at the base of the escalators, right below where the thick rubber handgrip disappeared. I always itched to switch the machinery off, but the fear of consequences kept me in check. I was also afraid that my shoes would get sucked into those toothy grooves at the end of the ride, and my feet would be mangled. It was part of the thrill of disembarking. It paid to be nimble.
Another thing I remember about shopping with my mom when I was little is the small bells that were scattered through some departments below a sign that said "Ring Bell for Service." I caught hell for that one.
My cousin Janet tried to enlist Aunt Magenta's help with the wedding invitations. Janet has selected them and an order is in preparation for shipment. Janet thought Aunt Magenta could help from home by assembling the invitations, and stamping & posting them. This task, which appeared so deceptively simple at first glance, became such a mare's nest that I offered to accept delivery at my office. I'll do the stamping and mailing, which will be no bother at all for me. I get package delivery all the time at work. I got a breathless note from Aunt Magenta along with the stamps, cautioning me to have the post office weigh the invitations to be sure they will not require extra postage. Noted.
The other day as I was returning from the bank to the office, I noticed a woman ahead of me a ways down the hall. She was, I can only assume, returning to her workplace from the ladies room. She wore slacks, and a blouse intended to hang loose all around. A casual, professional look. The problem was that half of the back of her blouse was tucked into her underwear. As I debated the wisdom of hollering "Hey, lady! Your blouse is stuck in your drawers from your trip to the loo!" she disappeared into the office across the hall from mine. Thank goodness! I don't know her, and she may have been mortified to see me ever after. She works in a suite of off-site university offices with several other women, and I'm sure one of them was happy to smugly point out her wardrobe malfunction. I'm still not sure if I was chivalrous, or merely shirking an unpleasant act of decency.Oh, and the coolest thing about taking the stairs occured to me after one of the elevators was repaired. Just a little over a year ago, I was too weak from malnourishment and alcohol abuse to make it up the stairs in my own home. I am grateful that today I have the good health and stamina to walk up to the sixth floor. So I still take the stairs a couple of times each day.












My StumbleUpon Page



19 comments:
I have always *loved* escalators! None of the stores or building in my hometown ever had them when I was growing up, but once a year (end of summer) my parents would take a trip to (downtown) Harrisburg (PA) to shop for school clothes and the stores. The stores there has escalators and I would leave my parents shopping while I road up and down on the them the whole time. My wife was/is petrified of them.
I can only imagine that Janet is relieved that you have taken over the invitation situation. You are a scholar and a gentleman.
Those grooves and the teeth they slid into at the end of the escalator were always threatening to eat my feet. I jumped off the escalator as soon as I could to avoid getting my feet mangled.
Congratulations on being able to walk 6 flights of stairs! That's quite an accomplishment. As overweight and out of shape as I am now, I can only do one flight before I have to stop and rest for a while.
Once afternoon Mom was riding the escalator to the first floor at JC Penny's when a man gave her the strangest look. She glanced down to find her skirt draped over her arm and her entire slip exposed. She was incredibly embarrassed being the modest Southern lady.
Good heavens, Scott. That's like the beginning and the end of my story rolled into one.
It is so like you to end up in a quirky building with hidden escalators and faux elevators. There is something about strange buildings, they are always throwing themselves in your path, I swear.
You capture the magic of being a kid in a department store so well.
Love the image of you gleefully ringing all department store bells within reach. I can just imagine your mother's consternation, she was always one to not make a fuss, and there you are, dinging away, hahaha!
And you go, invitation man. Janet is damn lucky to have you, Mister. Sounds like Aunt Magenta is, too.
The old shirt in the underwear routine! I worked in a retail store for ten years and saw that soooo many times. My favorite is everything tucked into the pantyhose in the back, very embarrasing for those who take the "panty" in pantyhose literally! One day an elderly lady with powder pink polyester pants was walking around with a big ole horsey tail of several layers toilet paper waving behind her. She thought is was very funny when I told her. By the way, no escalators in that store. I am not real fond of them, the whole foot mangling thing and they always seem to be shaking.
How sweet of you to do the invitations, a humble undertaking, not the sort of task Aunt Magenta can sink her teeth into, LOL. Great post Bill, missed you!
Dadgumit So, I was going to tell that story. I guess the early bird gets the worm. That JC Penny's had a grand escalator that was much fun as kids.
I am trying to remember what is in that building now. Penny's moved to an anchor store at our local mall years ago. That was when many stores were leaving downtown for the mall area. Thank goodness now, downtown is back and doing very well. It is a quilters & antique collector's paradise now. Not to mention the Downtown After Dinner that is Friday and Saturday night during the summer. Live bands, horse drawn carriage rides and lots of fun.
I was actually with a friend at a shopping mall years ago and the escalator took off the tip of his Converse high tops. it was scary.
I share your love of escalators and weird old buildings...I went to high school first in an office building (13th and 14th floors) and then we moved to an old armory. It was quite enjoyable, though I liked the office building better as there were loads of businessmen to annoy simply by being there and riding the elevators with them (no escalators, sadly).
I read somewhere that there are only a few wooden escalators left - I think it was on Forgotten NY though.
I found your blog poking around in profiles listing sobriety as an interest. I don't list that as an interest on mine, though it is. I am little more anonymous.
Your blog is wonderful. Mine is a disorganized mess. I am not very tech-savvy. And my content... well, less eloquent. Your mother's diary is wonderful. How lucky you are to have such an intimate part of her life still with you, even if she didn't express her feelings in it much. I read your post about your father on Father's Day too. Lovely.
What a nice place to visit. Thank you.
Escalators were such a magical ride when I was young. There was only one store in Sarasota with one, and it was the "expensive" department store. We were quite poor and couldn't dress well enough to go inside, much less shop there. I do remember having great respect for that last step on the few Christmas occasions we entered the store.
Whoa, so there was an escalator no one knew about? How was that hiding? Escalators take up a lot of room! That is so cool!
I always loved escalators as a kid. It was so disappointing when Mom made us take the elevator cause of the stupid baby in the stupid stroller :o)
Good call on not telling the lady. If she was about to head into court or a fancy dinner then maybe you should have told her, but if she was going back to sit at her desk, maybe she would notice for herself? I hope her coworkers were nice about it!
Love ya!
I love escalators. They are much more magical than elevators. Sometimes, I'll make a joke about getting stuck on one.
I am a little amused by the people who have such a mistrust of the escalator technology or their own capabilities that they stand at the entrance and wait for just the right moment to get on.
You are a gem to do those invitations for your cousin.
OMG. You should have done the old
Jerry Lewis routine, "HEY LADEEE".
I always love the "electric stairs".
I'm so glad you didn't tell the lady about her shirt. Maybe you should have checked her mouth to make sure she didn't have spinach in her teeth.
How fun to find a hidden escalator. It could be the plot for a great kids' book. I love escalators and even though I try to act nonchalant, that first step always makes me nervous.
I still love escalators and use them when I can. My favorite are at Macy's in Herald Square. They have very old wooden one, in one section of the store. I like to think they are original.
We have a hidden set of escalators in the building next to mine. I try to take them whenever possible. I do remember riding one in Dayton's department store, now a Macy's and a really bad replacement, I was going up the escalator with out of town friends. I was about 9 or 10 and I was riding with my friend and her mother. I was hanging over the edge pointing out something on the floor below when I was grabbed by the mother and pulled out of the way. She was worried I was going to get my head cut off by the plexiglass they put in place so that one's head doesn't get wedged into the corner/area where the up and down escalators cross paths.
Oh, and you were shirking.
Bill, I have nominated you for a Brillante award over at Kitchen Retro -
Post a Comment