Saturday, July 5, 2008

Stuart Court, Chapter One

One of my favorite former residences is a 1920's apartment house on Monument Avenue. I moved into Stuart Court when I was in my early twenties, and I felt like I had truly arrived when I took possession of my sixth floor apartment. When I first left my parents' home, I moved into a spacious but decrepit house with three roommates. In less than a year, I moved to an apartment with one roommate, and about a year later another relocation placed me in my own small apartment in a modest twelve-unit building in the Museum District.

One summer, Suzanne and her roommate Andy decided to move to Richmond after classes ended. They were both students at the University of Virginia in nearby Charlottesville, and the two came to Richmond to hunt for an apartment. I helped them look for a home, and we took a look at an apartment at Stuart Court. The apartment was unsuitable for them, but perfect for me, since it only had one bedroom. I realized that I would have to act quickly to claim this unusual opportunity, so I arranged to sublet my small two-bedroom place to Suzanne & Andy.

When Stuart Court was built in 1924, it was the sole high-rise apartment building on swank Monument Avenue. Today, it is still only one of two. The stone pediment above the front doors is carved with STVART COVRT. I was enchanted with the apartment as soon as I saw the living room, which was spacious and had lovely wall sconces instead of overhead lighting. My favorite feature in the room, however, was the Murphy Bed hidden behind double-doors. The bed had arched matching headboard and footboard when pulled down from its hiding place, and provided an instant guest bed. This solved the one-bedroom problem, since I often had visitors from out of town. Although very practical, it also added a touch of whimsy to the apartment. Scenes from old Laurel & Hardy movies flashed through my mind, but the bed never sprang back into the wall in the night trapping an unsuspecting sleeper.

The dining room was small, but seemed roomy because of built-in cabinets and two walls of knee-to-ceiling casement windows. The room was also five-sided, which added to its charm. Since my sixth-floor dwelling was three storeys above any nearby building, there was usually a good breeze and always a panoramic view. I could easily see the city's baseball stadium, and on Independence Day my guests and I could watch the fireworks from my dining room table.

Another valuable feature, unusual for apartments in Monument's historic district, was the abundance of closet space. There were five good-sized closets, which was a luxury in a one-bedroom unit from this era. I also had storage space in the spooky, rambling basement of the building, and I will describe this cavern in another chapter about Stuart Court.

The galley kitchen was small, but made efficient by ample glass-front cabinets with pull-out cutting boards, and doorways to both dining room and hallway. Although the kitchen was smaller than the one in my previous apartment, it was more thoughtfully designed and usable.

The building was sturdily built with poured-concrete walls, both inside and out. An axe-murderer could have been hacking up my neighbor as she screamed for help and I wouldn't have heard a thing. My apartment was a serene oasis high above Monument Avenue. When I first moved into the building, the upper floors were reached by hand-operated elevators which required a twenty-four hour staff, including two uniformed hostesses by day and a night porter. Life at Stuart Court was like a step back in time, and I will write more about the building, the renowned architect, and the eccentric residents and staff on another day. Day to day life at Stuart Court was anachronistic when I lived there in the early 1980's, and, although the building still stands, this lifestyle is now part of the building's magnificent past. I am very fortunate to have lived there before its notorious decline.

Accompanying photographs:
Top: Stuart Circle, showing the statue of J.E.B. Stuart on lower right and, above the statue, Stuart Court's south wing and part of the central portion of the building.
Middle: Robert E. Lee's monument on Lee Circle, one block west of Stuart Court
Bottom: Stuart Court as it appears today.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow i lived in a cool apartment like that too when I was young. They are remodeling those apartments now into condos... hmmm
oh well things change weather I like them to or not

have a great day

Amypie71 said...

No noise from neighbours would be just my cup of tea, I love my privacy!

Scott W said...

What a swankienda you had!

dAAve said...

I've never had a neighbor hacked to pieces by an ax-murderer, but I once had a flat tire in front of my house. Ahhh, the memories.

I'm glad you posted before the deadline.

Skippy said...

Deadline? What deadline? Craaap! Bill, the apartment sounds absolutely charming! Especially the Murphy bed! So cool! Were the wall sconces electric or candle holders?

Java said...

It sounds like a fascinating place. I look forward to reading more about it.

Anonymous said...

They just don't make em like they used to, do they. Sounds really cool.

Lemuel said...

That sounds like a very cool place to live!

Trailboss said...

Neato. I can't compare with that. Although a boyfriend of mine rented the upper part of a 4-plex in a really nice older home in the city. That was where I learned how to cook. Well, I could only cook one meal, but I tried.

Anonymous said...

What a cool place! Looking forward to more about it.

Zanejabbers said...

I remember an old building we lived in when I was 6. It was a 6 story building with wooden steps in the back. The lady down the hall had a baby that was allergic to cow milk, so she used goat milk. My God that stuff stunk when she heated it. That's what I remember about that building, the goat milk and those damned wooden stairs. You are always a good read.

Suzanne said...

Ah! You describe it perfectly. A genuine retro trip it was, being there. So grand. One felt like an actor in a black and white film. I remember trying to keep a straight face during the seemingly endless elevator trip with the all-knowing operator after a night of carousing in Richmond. Oh, somebody cool please save that building and make it luxury apartments again!