Sunday, October 12, 2008

This Butt's Reusable

It was splendid to get back to my morning AA group after my trip to Vermont. Our meeting starts at 6:45, and we allow time for silent meditation & prayer at the beginning of each meeting, which always settles my mind and prepares me for the day ahead. Each AA group has a set of members who are usually in attendance. Others appear for various reasons; they may have heard good things about a group from others, they may need a change of routine, or someone grows weary of alcohol abuse, wants a better life, and comes in for the first time.

Given the early hour that my home group meets, some folks who were previous regulars can visit us only occasionally because their careers have changed. This past week, we had a visit from Bob. We rarely see him these days because his work hours shifted earlier this year, so we were all happy to see him walk in.

Bob is a strapping fellow who rides a motorcycle. He is always neat & tidy, and he has a head of beautiful snow white hair, although he is not old. He told me once that his hair started turning white when he was in 5th grade. He grew up in New England, and still has a telltale Yankee brogue.

Bob saw many new faces in the group, so he talked a bit about his former life. His world was littered with wrecked cars, drugs, bags of dope, and cases of beer. His home was filled with partiers, but he always felt alone. Conversations revolved around the procurement of booze and drugs. There was no lasting connection with anyone. Laughter was frequent, but empty and devoid of real joy. Even with a trash bag full of marijuana, Bob was trying to score the next one. There was never enough.

Bob recalled walking through his empty home after a typical party, alone & disoriented. He would poke through the ashtrays for a likely prospect until his bleary eyes decided "This butt's reusable." Then the cycle would begin again as he waited for the store to open so he could buy more beer.

Today Bob holds a steady job as a supervisor of others. His leisure time is spent at meetings, and riding the beautiful byways of Virginia on his Harley with other sober buddies. His bike is always polished and clean, just like Bob, and he no longer is alone in a crowd. His needs are always met.

We were all happy to see our Gentle Giant.

10 comments:

Scott W said...

It's a good thing I just chopped garlic, because that smell is preferable to that ashtray any day.

I was at a party Friday night and a 50 year old said it was hard to buy pot these days, and she bemoaned the fact that most 50+ year-olds she knows have given it up. She and hubby hope to smoke until their last day. Glad I don't feel that need.

k said...

I missed your blog while you were away and hoped you would return, refreshed with stories anew. You did. I always gain so much peace from reading your posts.

Zanejabbers said...

I used to have a friend named Richard that we called the Gentle Giant. One night He, his partner, and I were out for dinner. It was Dec 12, 1992 and I was one month 8 days out from my 1st birthday in AA. I said I'm thinking of drinking again after my one year. He reared back and in a voice that started at his toe nail(very Deep) he said Zane if you do, Please erase me from your life, I could not nor want to put up with another moment of the old you. That was the last ime I entertained the thought. My Genlte Giant Friend died in 1994 and I miss him very much. Your mentioning of a Gentle Giant took me down a brief visit to happy times with him. THANX.

Birdie said...

How wonderful to read of someone who has found peace. His example will be a magnet to others who seek it as well.

Lemuel said...

a big HUG for Bob. May your support for each other in the group lead to more good things in your lives!

Patricia Marie said...

So glad to see you back.

Not Important said...

Glad you're back, and glad for Bob.

Anonymous said...

Lots of laughter, but not much joy. Boy can I relate to that! I love the Halloween theme of your blog!

Trailboss said...

Bill, is that really you? I thought you feel off into the Atlantic.

Skippy said...

aww, Bill, that is such a sweet story. I feel like I know him. You're a great writer, ya know that?