On our last outing, following our breakfast, we drove over to Hollywood Cemetery for a walk. On the way there, we passed through Virginia Commonwealth University, an urban campus. As we sailed down West Franklin Street, I pointed out the handsome mansion of Elisabeth Scott Bocock. It sits in the middle of modern-day VCU, but this was not the case when it was built by Mrs. Bocock's parents in 1907. It was then in the heart of one of the most fashionable neighborhoods of the wealthy.Jean and I both attended VCU in the late 1970's, and I told her about peering in the dusty windows of Mrs. Bocock's carriage house when I walked through the alley behind her home. Mrs. Bocock was still alive then, and had a collection of antique carriages which could be seen (dimly) through the elaborate grillwork protecting the window glass. She allowed them to be displayed in selected parades and exhibitions, and following Mrs. Bocock's death her heirs donated them to Maymont's Carriage Collection, which she helped fund in 1975.
Elisabeth Scott Bocock (or ESB, as she also identified herself) was known as the loony old lady in the stone mansion when I was a VCU student, but as I've learned more about her I now know that she was an implacable force behind the preservation of many of Richmond's historic buildings and landscapes. You just can't stop a determined southern lady. I wish I had known her.
When we reached nearby Oregon Hill, we coasted through the gates of Hollywood Cemetery. It was a nippy but sunny day - perfect for a stroll amongst the dead. I should tell you right now that I love cemeteries, and have never found them scary or creepy. When I lived a couple of blocks from Hollywood in the mid-80's, I would often slip through a well-known hole in the fence to take my roommate's dog, Calpurnia, for a walk. Even in the gloom of night, I thought of this cemetery as my own personal parkland. I'm fairly sure that Daniela shares my affinity of old boneyards.Hollywood Cemetery covers hundreds of acres, and sits on high bluffs overlooking the James River and Belle Island. There are over 75,000 people buried there, including 18,000+ Confederate dead. Designed in 1847 in the "rural" style, its roadways twist and wind under massive trees - including its titular holly trees. It is easy for a newcomer to get lost inside its walls, as I well know from my first visits in the late 70's.
We parked near President's Circle, but headed away from the tombs of James Monroe & John Tyler, and were immediately greeted by a magnificent tulip poplar in full bloom. We wandered through the headstones, agreeing that this was a great place to collect character names for stories, and read many of the epitaphs. I always enjoy talking with Jean about books, writing, history, and spirituality. We walked downhill to Mausoleum Row, where we saw an artist capturing on paper the beauty of the art-deco muse on the door of the Sauer family tomb. The funky music blasting from her car stereo added a lively note, but it wasn't loud enough to wake the dead.We took a look at the graves of Jefferson Davis and his family. Poor old Jeff. Not only did he lead a lost cause, only one of his six children survived childhood. There are many notable figures from history buried at Hollywood, including J.E.B. Stuart, Matthew Fontaine Maury, Ellen Glasgow, and U.S. Supreme Court justice, Lewis F. Powell, Jr. There's also a local vampire associated with Hollywood Cemetery, and a midnight visit to the mausoleum of W.W. Poole was a rite of passage for VCU students when I lived on campus.
Before we left, we spied a handsome Celtic cross at the crest of a distant slope. We could see, as we approached, that its stone was beautifully carved with scrollwork. As we stood at the base of the cross, I glanced over at a raised vault beside the monument. Serendipity had brought us, amidst thousands of graves, to the resting place of Elisabeth Scott Bocock, the eccentric old lady with the antique carriages. No longer a believer in coincidence, I determined at that moment to learn more about her. I am now reading an interesting biography of Mrs. Bocock, Never Ask Permission, and I'm sure I'll be writing about her soon on Planet Bill.
If you are ever in Richmond, please include a visit to Hollywood Cemetery. It is considered one of the most beautiful graveyards in the nation. You may click this link for an at-home tour of some of its highlights and history.












My StumbleUpon Page



15 comments:
Thanks for the brief and scenic tour (via your pictures). Yesterday the wife of my co-worker and her sister left for Richmond to do a "garden tour". I am sure that I will hear about it when she returns in about a week.
WOW, that was facinating. I love old cemetaries too, although I can't say I visit them a lot. There is an old Civil War era (and before) cemetary across the road from where an x-friend lived. We used to wander in the woods, us and our kids and marvel at the stones, names and dates. There were a lot of infant graves which was sad.
At Kentucky Lake there are a lot of old cemetaries. Once when Mary, Steph and I were riding a long trail at a campground called Wrangler's we stopped to rest our horses at a cemetary. Apparently there had been some illness or epidemic at that time because there were rows of child graves. It was very sad to think of how short some lives were back then.
Thanks for the tour, Bill, I really enjoyed this. (Books, writing, history and spirituality -- I can't think of better topics for conversation.) I, too, like cemetaries -- the older the better. There is one that I've visited out on the plains in Colorado where the town (Sligo, settled by Irish immigrants) disappeared long ago. It's amazing that the prairie has allowed the headstones and the iron fence to still remain.
In high school my friends and I would spend lots of time in cemetaries. Leisurely times and often picnics, too. Paducah has some beautiful cemetaries. After I got my driver's license I would often go to a cemetary on Sunday and spend time alone (instead of going to church), where I would draw or read. In some small towns that is about the only place exhibiting anything aesthetically pleasing.
Your Hollywood sounds lovely.
You are full of such great stories. I want to know more about ESB now! I love learning about people and their contributions to our society (and other societies).
Very interesting post Bill. My sister loves to go and visit cemeteries, to her it is history. As for me on the other hand I see them as a field full of dead people so I tend to stay away, I think also because I know I will have to move in there some day, yikes! O_O
I have to tell you, Bill, I love this post. If you ever took a visit to my genealogy blog, you will see pictures from numerous cemeteries. I also love walking in them as well as researching in them. Next time I am in Richmond, I will surely take a visit to this one. Thanks for sharing.
Youve got some pretty pictures of buildings on here....i sure wish there was buildings like that here
Bill, you are right. I love cemeteries. I could live in them to be honest. There is so much peace and history. I had planned on exploring some cemeteries last weekend but the time got away from me. I have been to Richmond, but never visited Hollywood Cemetery. I will be sure and put it on my list. I have been to the graves of Bette Davis, Liberace, Freddie Prinze, Lucille Ball and other deceased entertainers and sports figures when I was in California. I'm totally fascinated with cemeteries..is that so wrong? HAHA
Thanks for the lovely tour through your hometown. I loved it and would love to see it in person. We'll have coffee when I do. I love grave yards myself and have been fascinated by them for as long as I can remember. I could spend days in them looking at headstones. I found out, when my father died and we were making the arrangements with the cemetery, that my grandmother was the architect of the cemetery. Probably why I have had a plot of my own since I was young. I also have a couple in Kentucky but would only use those if the others fill up before I need to use one.
Hey Bill. Thanks for the post. I don't know about the cemetary thing but I do love history. I visit the San Jacinto Battleground outside of Houston where Texas won it's Independence from Mexico. It is peaceful even with all of it's ghosts. So I guess I should just get over my cemetary thing. I love your stories.
Great post Bill, so atmospheric I felt I was there. When you wrote that the number buried was 75,000 I checked the population of the village where I live - it's 1,400, quite a contrast eh? Is it more commonplace to be buried in the US rather than other options? over here, people tend to go for cremation - possibly because a lot of the cemetaries are full or nearly so. I've no preference either way but can see a time in the future where there are no beautiful, peaceful places to wander, think and be curious about those who went before.
Bill, I tagged you (and Carolyn!) over at my place. Play if you like:)
that was a nice introduction to where you live.
i would never think of writing about a cemetery visit, but then again we don't have one as interesting near where i live.
although, as a child i do remember driving through one of the most well-known cemeteries in the area where i grew up and stopping by the farmer's market located somewhere along its winding paths and picking up fruits and vegetables with my parents.
odd place for a farmer's market but it always seemed to be busy with customers.
We got a nice morning there, didn't we? For such a creepy old place it's mighty cheery.
Post a Comment