Okay, I'm going to cheat, and I'll be candid about it. Here's why: I need to leave soon for my regular Tuesday evening AA meeting, so I don't have time to craft a new, sparkling post. It also occurs to me that, although a few of you have been landing on Planet Bill for a long time, most of you have only recently started exploring my corner of the galaxy. Roaming through the archives can be hit-or-miss, so I'm going to pull out a few things for your convenience.I've been feeling very good lately. This coming Monday will mark one year of sobriety for me. I know that, as long as I do what I have been doing for the past 350+ days, I will meet that mark. To get a little idea of what a difference these days, weeks, and months have meant to me, you can click here to zoom to my first Planet Bill post. When I read this post, I am extra-grateful to be where I am today on my journey. Also, here's a post that was printed in my area's AA newsletter.
Many of my posts have been about my childhood. I am thankful that I had such wonderful parents, and that my life was generally happy and carefree. If you are curious about how I ended up with a Po' White Trash version of a traditional treehouse, this will answer your questions. I spent many happy hours in and under my treehouse, usually in the company of my faithful dog, Pebbles. You can get to know her right here. Pebbles wasn't my only pet, but she did survive my stewardship the longest. There were quite a few others that passed through my careless little hands.
My childhood wasn't all fun and games. Life has its bumps, and during the past year I've come to understand that a couple of these changed my view of the world and how I relate to other people. Growing up in a nice neighborhood with loving parents doesn't preclude unpleasant experiences. If you click here and here, you can read about a couple of the rough spots. The good news is I'm okay today with everything.
I mention my family in my posts. I would be honored if you would read about my remarkable but humble father, my irrespressible grandmother, and my favorite aunt. They all had a lot to do with making me the man I am today, God bless them. My mother has her own companion blog of her daily diaries (the link is on the right column), and I thank her for my love of books and reading.Oops, I'm running short on time, but I've given you more than enough to occupy some time - and, perhaps, put you gently to sleep. Blogging has turned out to be a fulfilling activity for me over the past months. Not only have I been able to make important discoveries about myself, I have found a network of talented, wonderful fellow bloggers. I always look forward to reading about you. When you are sad, I pray for you. When you are happy, it makes me smile. Thanks for sharing your world with me, and you have an open invitation to visit Planet Bill whenever you can.












My StumbleUpon Page



12 comments:
I just read your first blog and wow! it was so moving. I'm so happy that you pulled yourself out of the martini.
hey bill,
thanks for sharing. i too read that first post and it made me cry. i myself am not an alcoholic, although at times it might seem like it, but i do know what it's like having seen my stepfather live as a functioning alcoholic for many years.
anyway, i just paid his crypt a visit today and put up new flowers. he didn't die directly from his alcoholism but it definitely contributed. i wish he had had the strength to overcome the grips of his vodka addiction.
so i do understand the struggles of your day-to-day existence as someone who is recovering and surviving. i think its great that you're about to celebrate a year.
hugs and best wishes to that! and many more days and years of sobriety to you.
I'll have you know I stop by daily for my dose of Planet Bill.
Thank you for the road map. much appriciated.
Wow. That first post was moving. You are a very good writer. I always enjoy my refueling stops at planet Bill and will continyue to do so.
Just paying a flying visit in a very busy week. Like Danny I shed a few tears on reading your earlier posts - very moving stuff you wrote there Bill. But let's celebrate the high notes - hooray for your continuing sobriety, double hooray for being OK with things today, that's not an easy one to get to and stay at.
Keep posting, you always bring sunshine into my day.
That's a lot of links for not having much time. We love your posts no matter where they come from. Ride that high at hitting one year, it is a BIG DEAL!!!
cheaters never win.
well.........sometimes they do don't they?
The night you were wheeled out of our friends' house was a really, really crappy one for me--I thought at the time. Now I wonder: maybe it was a really, really good night. It marked the (admittedly bumpy) beginning of a new journey for a dear friend! Congrats on one year!
Hi Bill, I did not have time to read all of your posts, but just wanted to stop in and hello friend! And, I'll Be Back!
Happy Happy AA Birthday
Keep being good to you
ONE YEAR SOBER!!!!! BIG BIG BIG Congratulations my fine friend!!! I am so, so so proud of you, and so damn happy to have you back. Keep on keepin on. *waves to all of Bill's new friends* I LOVE YOU MAN. But, then, you know that. ♥
Post a Comment