This post may interest a few of the women who land on Planet Bill from time to time. I know the value of complaint letters written from the heart, so I'm posting one that Our Girl in Amsterdam forwarded to me. I have found most companies very accommodating when a consumer takes the time to point out problems or offer suggestions for improvement. I worked in customer service for a well-known global company, and we knew all too well that most customers do not voice their opinions directly to the corporation; instead, they share their dissatisfaction with friends and family. Any business interested in staying in business will welcome your complaint.Disclaimer: salty but candid language below!
This is an actual letter from an Austin woman sent to American company Proctor and Gamble regarding their feminine products. She really gets rolling after the first paragraph. It's PC Magazine's 2007 editors' choice for best webmail-award-winning letter.
Dear Mr. Thatcher,
I have been a loyal user of your 'Always' maxi pads for over 20 years and I appreciate many of their features. Why, without the LeakGuard Core or Dri-Weave absorbency, I'd probably never go horseback riding or salsa dancing, and I'd certainly steer clear of running up and down the beach in tight, white shorts. But my favorite feature has to be your revolutionary Flexi-Wings. Kudos on being the only company smart enough to realize how crucial it is that maxi pads be aerodynamic. I can't tell you how safe and secure I feel each month knowing there's a little F-16 in my pants.
Have you ever had a menstrual period, Mr. Thatcher? Ever suffered from the curse'? I'm guessing you haven't. Well, my time of the month is starting right now. As I type, I can already feel hormonal forces violently surging through my body. Just a few minutes from now, my body will adjust and I'll be transformed into what my husband likes to call 'an inbred hillbilly with knife skills.' Isn't the human body amazing?
As Brand Manager in the Feminine-Hygiene Division, you've no doubt seen quite a bit of research on what exactly happens during your customers monthly visits from 'Aunt Flo'. Therefore, you must know about the bloating, puffiness, and cramping we endure, and about our intense mood swings, crying jags, and out-of-control behavior. You surely realize it's a tough time for most women. In fact, only last week, my friend Jennifer fought the violent urge to shove her boyfriend's testicles into a George Foreman Grill just because he told her he thought Grey's Anatomy was written by drunken chimps. Crazy!
The point is, sir, you of all people must realize that America is just crawling with homicidal maniacs in Capri pants...which brings me to the reason for my letter. Last month, while in the throes of cramping so painful I wanted to reach inside my body and yank out my uterus, I opened an Always maxi-pad, and there, printed on the adhesive backing, were these words: 'Have a Happy Period.' Are you fucking kidding me? What I mean is, does any part of your tiny middle-manager brain really think happiness - actual smiling, laughing happiness is possible during a menstrual period?
Did anything mentioned above sound the least bit pleasurable? Well, did it, James? FYI, unless you're some kind of sick S&M freak girl, there will never be anything 'happy' about a day in which you have to jack yourself up on Motrin and Kahlua and lock yourself in your house just so you don't march down to the local Walgreen's armed with a hunting rifle and a sketchy plan to end your life in a blaze of glory.
For the love of God, pull your head out, man! If you just have to slap a moronic message on a maxi pad, wouldn't it make more sense to say something that's actually pertinent, like 'Put down the Hammer' or 'Vehicular Manslaughter is Wrong', or are you just picking on us?
Sir, please inform your Accounting Department that, effective immediately, there will be an $8 drop in monthly profits, for I have chosen to take my maxi-pad business elsewhere. And though I will certainly miss your Flex-Wings, I will not for one minute miss your brand of condescending bullshit. And that's a promise I will keep. Always.
Best,
(name omitted)
Austin , TX![]()












My StumbleUpon Page



14 comments:
Yay! about time somebody told it like it is. I nearly peed myself laughing at this (hmmm, better buy Tena Lady pads next time I shop).
I always thought something was wrong when I didn't get a monthly urge to go roller skating - now I know it was just an ad mans dream. Did you have a good anniversary?
You mentioned the Beautiful South. Love 'em, saw them perform live a couple of times and suprised myself when I knew every single song. And now you've started me off, listening to 'Carry on up the Charts' (best of album). Good news though - Old Red Eyes isn't back!!
Thanks for a good ole belly laugh.
When I am seated on a public john, I read the paper seat napkins instructions. Pull up, then down. Now just what are those instructions FOR?
Motrin and Kahlua -- tres hysterical!
Menstrual cycles, that's intelligent design for ya!
This is too damn funny and oh so true. Did I mention you are a very brave man to post this?
I loved it - even as a male - because I am often confounded by the absurdity of some marketing.
laughing out loud
thanks
Thank you Bill. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
that was wicked funny! i hope someone at p&g took her seriously.
I plan to keep my testicles, painful as they may be at times.
Vehicular manslaughter is wrong? Not on MY worst days. Luckily for all drivers out there, I no longer need to keep an F16 in my pants. I embody peaceful tranquility. At least until somebody cuts me off in rush hour traffic.
Too damned funny! Reminds me, in a way, when I wrote Benson and Hedges complaining of a cigarette that had some type of foil type paper on one cigarette. They ended up sending me a free carton. I wasn't wanting anything free, just wanted to bitch. I was probably experiencing some of the normal "time of the month" emotions that us women go through at the time. But noone ever accused me of being modest when it comes to speaking my mind!
Im pretty sure that I haven't laughed this hard in a very long time. I love that woman, whoever she is. I mean I really love her. I want to invite her over for coffee and show her my knife and grenade collection. Have her call me...haha
This was wonderful, Bill. I thought the same thing when I started seeing there ads that say "have a happy period" at the end.
Post a Comment