I have always loved motels and hotels, and the anticipation I feel when I slip the key in the door of my assigned room. Even as a child, I begged to be the first one in the room, ready for a new adventure. Our family trips to visit my mother's family in Iowa involved two nights each way going out and returning home. We never stayed anywhere that didn't carry the AAA rating. My parents didn't think it would be wise.On one return trip to Virginia we had to settle for a cabin court that was not recommended by AAA. I believe we were somewhere in western Pennsylvania, and there was some type of convention, festival, or hootenanny that lit up the No Vacancy signs at motels for miles and miles. We usually stopped driving before dark, but on this night it was well-dark before my parents gave up and pulled up to the office of an old cabin court style lodging place. I was thrilled; our own tiny house! We had never stayed in a place like this before.
My mother was horrified when we entered our little cabin. There was a big tree in our room. More accurately, the cabin had been constructed around a large live tree, and the trunk was at the far side of the beds. You had to squeeze past it to enter the teensy bathroom. My mother, of course, envisioned insects and weasels swarming in as we slept. I thought the tree was enchanting. It was like staying in a tree house. My mother probably made us sleep in our clothes.
The room was clean and tidy; neat as a pin. I was intrigued by a mysterious metal box at the side of the double-bed. It had a coin slot, and I cajoled a coin from my dad. I experienced Magic Fingers® for the first time. The magic wore off quickly, but at least I had crossed another threshold in my life journey. No need to try this ever again.The owners of the establishment were very nice people, and when we checked out the next morning they gave me a toy for my car ride. It was a thick cardboard clown head, brightly colored, with an attached ring on a string. The clown had a very long, upward curving nose. The idea was to swing the clown head by the handle to catch the ring on the clown's nose. I kept the souvenir toy long after we returned home.
A regular stop for us for an overnight stay on our Iowa trips was a huge Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge. It was anchored by the familiar orange-roofed office with adjacent restaurant, and had several buildings that contained the motel rooms. The establishment featured inside corridors that all led to the main building. The connecting links were plate glass which had been pasted with decals that looked like splatted eggs. I couldn't imagine why Howard Johnson intentionally decorated his motor inn to look like it had been visited by vandals. My father explained that these decals were an attempt to prevent birds from flying into the plate glass.
As swank as the Howard Johnson's was compared to the tree-enhanced cabin court, it does not compare in splendor to The Grooviest Motel in Wisconsin. This was surely the zenith of the American Motel. You can click your way through the motel tour, and you won't want to miss a moment, believe me. This segment is part of James Lilek's larger Institute of Official Cheer. Be careful, you can get lost in there for days. Pack a lunch. Drop breadcrumbs.












My StumbleUpon Page



15 comments:
You trigger many fond memories. On my travels as a young child, we frequently stayed in those cabin-thingies. My great aunt and grand mother went along (and as I came to understand later, paid for the lodging), and my great aunt preferred the cabins.
I also remember the Magic Fingers! Like you, one ride was enough for me. Of course I did not know then what I know now.
And you reminded me of the luxury of a chain motel like HJ's! a pool? I thought I had died and gone to motel heaven!
I don't remember staying at motels as a child. When we went to Arkansas (which was VERY rare) to see my maternal grandparents it was a day trip. In our only big road trip to the Smokey Mountains we hauled a pop-up trailer behind us, so none necessary for that trip.
My favorite part of that post was when you said you were a lazy child. Me too! I would have fixated on those switches...marvelous!
We never stayed in hotels or motels, instead if we went on a trip we camped. (We didn't go on many trips!) I have many fond memories of walking around on trails in the woods, waking up and looking out over a lake, and listening to the insects, frogs, and birds in the morning.
I know exactly what you're talking about! I love staying in hotels! As a kid, the best part was the elevators-- how magical! Discovering what tiny soaps and shampoos each hotel offered, sneaking up to the suite floor to marvel at the fancy-looking doors and try to imagine how NICE those rooms must be inside :o)
Hotels combined all of my favorite things as a kid-- swimming pools, unlimited TV-watching, and...Mom's snack bag, which meant goldfish and yogurt-covered raisins. Mm-mm good! I loved this post, Bill. How great!
wonderful post Bill - when are you going to put this all in a book? I love the images your hotel / motel descriptions bring to mind - we've never really got to grips with the concept here and as for the magic fingers, well clearly I've been missing out for most of my time on the planet. I do however steal the soap, shampoo, shower cap, shoe shine and sewing kit whenever I stay in a hotel - probably wouldn't have room in my case for the magic fingers. J
No kidding So, we left in the middle of the night sleeping in the back of the station wagon, no seat belts in those days.
Bill, looking at that link of the Gobbler I started itching for some reason. Those colors and the carpet everywhere!!! Oh my! I can only imagine all the "updos" that got messed up in those beds! LOL
WE loved to stay in hotels when we were kids. I don't love it so much now since I've had to travel quite a bit. But as a kid we stayed in quite a few nice hotels and even a couple tree house rooms (without the tree). I would love love love to stay at the Bates Motel. How cool would that be? ok, I know, I'm weird. xoxo
I kept waiting on a real vibrator.
Damn!
Great memories. I remember when we moved from Houston to Toledo Ohio in 1949. We drove and slept on the side of the road. A lot of people did so in those days. I wanted candy and Mother said NO. So I found this big Chocolate Candy Bar in her purse. It was bitter but I ate it. I was an EXLAX bar. I shit from Lake Charles, LA to Toledo Ohio. They finally wrapped my butt in a sheet or we would still be on the road. No hanging scented trees in those days.
I remember the metal box by the motel beds!!!! But I don't remember where I was or who I was with....which was usually the case when I woke up in strange motel rooms.
I was mostly surprised at the names they called me...since I liked to use a fake name in my drinking days. Usually Rita or Theresa.
Bill, I love your reminiscences - reminded me of some trips of my youth. Our family would drive from Ohio to the Jersey Shore every summer. We would stop at Howard Johnson's for ice cream cones. My mother was always horrified by something everywhere!
Zane - thank you for sharing. That is awesome!
The first time I stayed in a motel was when I was in 6th grade. There was an unexpected snow storm and the roads were too icy to get home. I thought it was great. When we travelled we camped which is why I think today that camping is staying at the Motel 6.
I love when you share your memories as a child.
I may have this (Don't believe everything you think) tattooed backward on my forehead.
kniht uoy gnihtyreve eveileb t'nod
KEWL!
Bill,
Thanks for coming back and commenting again. It really meant a lot to me. I hope you're having a great weekend!
L
Post a Comment