Sunday evening I went over to my friend John's for dinner and a movie. We do this fairly regularly since he has a big, crisp screen on his wall and I have a Netflix subscription. Sometimes we dine out, and sometimes we fix dinner at his house. This time, John prepared a delicious dinner before we watched the movie I took along.John grilled thick, juicy pork chops outdoors, and he also fixed collard greens, fresh corn, and iron skillet cornbread. After a satisfying meal, we settled down to watch the movie. I have to give Netflix credit for having a great selection of DVD's. I've watched many films that, otherwise, I would not have had easy access to view. More and more classic, foreign, documentary, and obscure films that would have been too unprofitable for the VHS format are being released on DVD's.
Last night we watched an enchanting film called Lars and the Real Girl. I've enjoyed nearly every film featuring Ryan Gosling, and when I saw that Patricia Clarkson also appeared in the movie, I decided to give it a try. Ryan Gosling plays Lars, a painfully shy loner who lives in a garage behind the home of his brother and sister-in-law. Lars orders a life-size love doll from a website, not for sex but for companionship. He believes that his new friend Bianca is real, proudly introduces her to his shocked brother & sister-in-law, and from that point on the film is a delightful journey.
An astute doctor (played by Patricia Clarkson) instructs the bewildered brother to play along with Lars' delusion, assuring him that it will pass when Lars no longer needs it. The reaction of the townsfolk to their newest citizen is heartwarming, and soon Lars is taking part in social activities with Bianca in tow.
This film speaks comically but eloquently about the healing power of acceptance, kindness, and love. I can't help but wonder how much more splendid our world would be if we treated each other with such tender compassion. Please add Lars and the Real Girl to your short list of must-see movies. Your time will be covered by Planet Bill's guarantee of satisfaction, and if you feel your ninety-five minutes were wasted each moment will be refunded. This film is a jewel!
(Note: you may click here for your own love doll, but be forewarned that this is an adults-only site!)












My StumbleUpon Page



19 comments:
I really enjoyed that movie as well. I was expecting a comedy, and it had a few funny moments, but mostly it warmed my heart.
Two thumbs up!
Yum! If I ever visit you and your friend, will you guys cook me that meal too? I haven't seen that movie yet but I enjoyed watching Ryan Gosling in "The Notebook".
Great review,Bill. Thanks for sharing.
I'm adding this to my netflix now... (We should be friends on Netflix!)
It looks like a sweet movie, but those dolls are giving me the creeps.
I was lucky enough to see Larswhen it premiered at the Heartland Film Festival in Indianapolis. This festival promotes movies that lift the human spirit; I love that I can see any movie they promote and come away uplifted. This movie is a gem.
I will go see it, and yea dang if we could all treat each other with warmth acceptance, love, and compassion... wow what a place to be
Have a good day
I clicked on right here. ICK. Sounds like a good menu, a good movie, and a good evening.
Loved the movie..laughed my hiney off.
He could put the doll in the passenger seat and use the commuter lane to work. I have heard of ppl doing that.
Hey, Bill! I miss you! How is your new job? I loved Lars as well. I went into it totally not expecting to like it, but was completely charmed. Did you cry at her funeral? I almost did, but my roommate was bawling.
Stay in touch! Hope you have a great holiday weekend.
L
jeez Bill, where have I been?
I just played catch up on your blog. I'm so pleased the you are liking the job!
Your life sounds so good right now that I don't feel the need to give you advice ;)
That's a BIG deal coming from me.
Hi Bill - This is my first visit to your blog, which is really fun!
Thanks for the heads-up on the movie: I'll have to put it in my Netflix queue. Will your friend come and cook juicy pork chops for us, too? :-)
It was great reading about your new job. Sounds like it came at just the right time. Hope you’re still enjoying it?
Happy 4th of July!
♥♥♥Happy Birthday!♥♥♥
Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Bill, Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Late birthday to you! and now Happy 4th as well hee hee have a fun and good day
Happy Late birthday to you! and now Happy 4th as well hee hee have a fun and good day
A belated birthday to you my good friend!
I've not seen Ryan Gosling before, but I think I may soon. Thanks for the recommendation.
Post a Comment