Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid. - Heinrich Heine
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Betty Helps Filthy Parents
The gestation period for this infant must have been three days. These parents seem completely unprepared for their new family member. Maybe they simply woke up one morning and found a newborn in bed with them.
While Daddy roots around in the basement for a forgotten baby carriage, Betty White is enlisted to sanitize the bathroom. She certainly has her work cut out; look at that sink! Perhaps Mommy forgot to wipe down the basin after her appointment with Lady Clairol.
Betty, though, has made a surreptitious call to Social Services, and stalls for time as she cleans the tile. The cannister of Fantastik is employed as a changeling, and the infant is whisked off to a home where cleanliness reigns, much like my own mother's home.
I found this 1960's commercial clip on a site with similar snippets. If you're interested in vintage marketing, I also highly recommend a trip to Lidian's blog; she unearths some of the most interesting moments in American print ads.
Marketing has changed. I wonder what it will be like in another 30 years.
As for Betty White, I always loved her and of late I love her more. She seems to have moved into that realm of age where she doesn't give a flying fig about what anyone thinks and feels free to say whatever she wants to.
Wow how about that shower curtain! I always loved Betty. Just think of all those emissions in that aerosol can! I have been listening to old Bing Crosby shows on serius, every ten minites or so they are promoting chesterfield cigarettes. Even the kids sing along in the jingles, you know they are the smoothest cigarette, with no aftertaste!
Pull up a comfy chair, grab a sharp stick, and feel free to poke around through the archives below. Or skip further down for a list by topic. Your comments are welcome, and you may add them to each entry at the bottom of the page.
If you'd like to take a peek into the daily life of an average American woman in the early 1960's, click here to be transported to the house where I grew up. I have transcribed my mother's 1962 diary onto a separate blog, and am currently working on 1963. These diaries were not written to entertain; they simply chronicle my mom's days. Washing diapers, waxing kitchen appliances, baking pies, and visiting friends...it's all here on Carolyn's Diary.
9 comments:
What an awesome ad. I just love old vintage commercials. Gosh, I hope they don't use Betty to clean the baby!
Dave was just asking where Betty White was. Now we know all the answers to the mystery.
Marketing has changed. I wonder what it will be like in another 30 years.
As for Betty White, I always loved her and of late I love her more. She seems to have moved into that realm of age where she doesn't give a flying fig about what anyone thinks and feels free to say whatever she wants to.
Ms Betty can sure teach some things to those other Golden Girls.
My gosh, that house is filthy! Get that baby out of there.
I love Betty White. She is who I strive to be.
Wow how about that shower curtain! I always loved Betty. Just think of all those emissions in that aerosol can! I have been listening to old Bing Crosby shows on serius, every ten minites or so they are promoting chesterfield cigarettes. Even the kids sing along in the jingles, you know they are the smoothest cigarette, with no aftertaste!
Merry Christmas
That is a gem! Betty is barely recognizable with that brown hair!
And thank you very much for the link.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday!
That was great. I remember that product and as soon as I saw the video I could smell the fumes. I'm sure that new baby now has lung damage.
Post a Comment