Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cold Weather = Baking

Baby, it's cold outside. Last night when I scampered to the grocery store for Half & Half (must have that for my coffee) it was snowing. Today I stayed inside at home, relaxing, and catching up on laundry. Reading about Amy in New Zealand enjoying a hot day at the seaside made me want to avoid going outside on a cold, windy day like today.

I think I just had a narrow escape from several hundred unwelcome roommates. This may sound familiar to any of you who were reading this blog last year. Several weeks ago, before the first hard frost hit, I moved my ficus tree back indoors. It's been dropping leaves, its usual behavior when I move it back inside, so I started picking off the leaves that were turning yellow. There, hidden in the foliage, cleverly disguised as wood, was another little package. I quickly clipped it loose and threw it outside. I don't want to relive last year's horror. Maybe they're still dormant, and they'll start appearing next spring. Outdoors. Where they belong. I've been putting my little tree out on my deck for years in the summer, and last December was the only time I ran into trouble when I brought it back inside. Danged if they didn't try it again this year.

This weekend I did a little baking. Staying warm & cozy during cold weather makes me think of baking, so I'll share a few recipes. I modified the first one using a recipe I found on the web last year. The cranberries stay bright red, which looks cheery and Yuletidey.

Orange-Cranberry Bread
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1-½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup cold butter
1 egg
¾ cup orange juice¹
1 tablespoon grated orange zest¹
1 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
1-½ cups fresh cranberries
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
I don't even use the electric mixer to make this, so you really don't need special equipment. Throw the sugar in a large mixing bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder, salt & soda. Cut in the cold butter; I simply used a knife to do this. Just keep cutting it in until there aren't any large butter pieces.
Add the egg, and mix. It will be dry. Add the cranberries and toss. Add the orange juice and grated orange zest. Add the orange extract if desired. Fold in the nuts if you want them.
Preheat your oven to 325° while you grease & flour a loaf pan. You can also sprinkle additional sugar on top of the batter after you put it in the loaf pan if you want your bread to have a sparkly look. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the bread tests done in the center. Your baking time will depend on the type of pan you use, and the idiosyncracies of your oven. Cool loaf before removing from the pan.

You can do this next one by hand or with a modern mixer; your choice. This recipe makes two loaves; one for you, and one for the dog. Or your neighbor.

Date-Cherry Bread
1-½ cups chopped, pitted dates
2-¼ cups boiling water
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup dried cherries
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
4-½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
Put the dates in the hot water. Add the baking soda. Soak for 30 minutes. If you are a bad person, the mixture will foam up when you add the baking soda. Actually, it will foam up anyway. You can pretend that you're a mad scientist. Do not drain the dates! You will use the dates + liquid in the batter.
Cream the butter and sugars. Beat in the eggs thoroughly. Add the salt, vanilla, and the foam-rimed you're-a-bad-person mixture, and mix well. Toss the nuts with the flour, and gently mix the dry ingredients into the date mixture. Evenly divide the batter between your greased & floured loaf pans. Bake @ 300° for 60 minutes, or until each loaf tests done in the center. Cool before removing from pans.

Okay, the last recipe I'll share today is one that I got from Sheldon. He's a good cook. This is a good old-fashioned spoonbread, and it's great comfort food. It's easy to make, and it goes well with pork. Sometimes I nuke the leftovers, add some butter, and have it for lunch.

Sheldon's Spoonbread
1 cup self-rising cornmeal²
2 cups scalded milk (I use the microwave)
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup sugar
Mix and bake in a greased baking dish @ 400° for about 30-35 minutes. That's all there is to it! I use a whisk when I mix the batter to get the lumps out. You can omit or reduce the sugar, but it sure is good sweet.

I'm satisfied if the finished product is edible, and comes out of the pan. But take a look at the incredible cakes that someone in St. Petersburg (Russia, not Florida) has made. Click here for the photos.

¹ If the fresh oranges at the market look sad, you'll be fine with storebought juice, and grated orange peel from the spice aisle. I use Penzey's grated orange peel if a fresh orange isn't handy.
² You can make your own self-rising cornmeal right at home! 1 cup cornmeal, 3 tablespoons flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt.

11 comments:

Scott W said...

I have never had spoonbread. And I have no clue as to how to make those little 1s and 2s that clue you to more information at the bottom of the post. Then again, I have never had need of those little numbers. Still, impressive.

I bet your home smells dreamy with all that baking!

Lidian said...

Thanks for the recipes, Bill - they all look really good. I haven't started any baking yet, but I guess I will soon. It is very cold up here in Ontario, too.

Birdie said...

Wait, wait! What is going to happen to this year's little praying visitors? You didn't finish the story!

Lemuel said...

Those little pests are a tricky lot, they are!

The cranberry bread sounds very similar to one that we make and it is quite tasty. I love it spread with cream cheese.

Java said...

I also have a ficus that lives on the back patio until frost threatens. I checked on it about 2 weeks before our first frost and found that ants had dug a nest among the roots. We sprinkled ant poison around the dirt in the pot, and a week later it was clear of all signs of ants. Well, all obvious signs. I intend to change the soil. Re-pot using the same pot, if that makes sense.

I keep waiting for the baking bug to bite me. There are a few things I want to bake, but I can't make myself get into the kitchen to actually cook. Perhaps later this week when my daughter gets home from college she will help me get my baking act in gear.

Zanejabbers said...

Bill, you cut quite a figure on the ice. Love the red icing on those cakes. But lorrdy most red icing is so damned bitter. Makes me hungry for a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing.

Karen said...

I just made my list tonight of what I'll be baking. Cookies are my specialty, and Dan makes the rum cakes. I think I may try stollen coffee cakes this year,(that's German stollen, I'm not stealing anything), in keeping with a family tradition. The date-cherry bread sounds good!

Anonymous said...

Well, I've copied the Orange-cranberry bread and will definitely make it this Christmas season. Sounds delicious. Thanks!

Jen said...

They all look yummy!

dAAve said...

RE: the mantis
Meditate about it.

Skippy said...

Bill, your recipes are complicated! I'm a slap-a-sandwich-together type of cook. I looked at that Russian cake site, that s**** is craaaazy! So neat! Hope you are well. I'll be up and running again soon

-L