Sunday, December 28, 2008

Hangover

I woke up the morning after Christmas with a hangover. Ugh! I hadn't had one of those in a long time. Unlike past hangovers, this one was caused by too much food on Christmas Day. I'll need to work on the Santa-like hangover in the belt region caused by all the holiday fare. Think smaller portions, Bill.

I woke up early on Christmas morning; the alarm was set for 5am but I was awake before four o-clock. I went to the 6:45 meeting, and we had a smaller group than usual, although we did have a couple of visitors from Brooklyn. We had a nice discussion inspired by A Christmas Carol about our Christmases past and present (our adventures before and after). Since we only had about fifteen people, we went around the group so that everyone shared, which encouraged someone fairly new to talk. After the meeting I dropped a buttermilk pound cake with coconut & fresh cranberries off at Sheldon's so he could take that to the Christmas celebration at his brother's in North Carolina.

I went to a Christmas brunch at Robert's, and took a loaf of cranberry-orange bread. Here is where the trouble started. Robert & Jim had prepared Eggs Benedict, potatoes, bacon & sausage, cheese grits, fruit salad, asparagus, apple-currant cake, and a gingerbread trifle. I'd like to say that I took small portions and didn't go back for seconds, because that was my plan, but my taste buds conspired against me. There was a nice group of people assembled for the holiday gathering, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Later, I went to Sherry's for Christmas dinner with her family. This was another food extravanganza, and I took my mother's famous corn casserole. Sherry's husband's family was there in full force, and it was an ecumenical event since they are Jewish. I enjoyed hearing them talk about the Torah as the lights on the Christmas tree twinkled and gifts were exchanged. Everyone was proud of a toddler who had learned how to say & spell "Happy Hanukkah." I was slightly better with portion control at Sherry's, but it was diminished capacity rather than willpower that kept me away from extra portions.

Since Christmas, I've stayed home to recharge my batteries with solitude and baking. Today I'm going to venture out to the movies with John to see Milk. Afterward, we'll exchange gifts and enjoy dinner out. I hope your holidays have been filled with merriment and quiet time as well.

I'm posting a few photos below of Monument Avenue's Christmas Caddy. Each year this car is decorated inside and out with lights, toys, and ornaments at the corner of Monument and Strawberry Street.



11 comments:

Scott W said...

I love that Cadillac. It's all crowded with stuffies. Bet they all have a good time together.

Trailboss said...

I would love to see that car in person. Are the animals inside given away?

dAAve said...

1966 Cadillac Sedan deVille.
Nice car although I'd prefer a Brougham.

Unknown said...

I know about those food hangovers all to well also, but it does sound like it was a good time visiting with good friends.

Lidian said...

I really like that Cadillac too. Sounds like you had a really good time, and had great company, which is what matters. I like the Christmas brunch idea, wouldn't mind doing that some year.

Not Important said...

I think my food hangover will last into 2009. Bleh.

Amypie71 said...

wow that car, sounds like my dream. I love vintage cars. I saw my favourite the other day on overhaulin, a 57 corvette....*drool*

Daniela said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. Bring some of that cranberry bread here to NC. I'll put it to good use. Well, not really, I just joined Weight watchers.

Love the cadie...the animals inside look terrified.

Zanejabbers said...

Your post just really put my taste buds on overtime. Your descriptions of the food just conjoured wonderful smells and tastes. Happy New Year, Bill

Birdie said...

Sounds like a lovely time with friends, hangover notwithstanding. But I know the feeling. That caddie's a hoot! It must be a cherished tradition; I'd be afraid of vandalism otherwise.

I've really enjoyed reading your blog for a little over a year now. Thanks, Bill, and Happy All Year.

Skippy said...

Is that Nemo inside there?