Walking a few blocks across from the front doors of the office building will take you to Monument Avenue, and that's where I headed recently on a brisk, sunny day on a lunch break. Here are a few photographs from my midday meander.
Let's get out of this office building a take a little walk around the neighborhood.
This is a lovely home on an over-sized lot. In fact, everything about this house is on a grand scale. It's a shame I didn't catch someone outside the home so that you could get a sense of scale. The rooms inside would be massive.
This house, built in the English Cottage style, looks like it would be full of interesting nooks and crannies. This house rambles back quite a ways, and has a side entrance.
I've heard that this home was built by the owners of a local stone quarry. Another large home built with a cottage-like front elevation, most of this house is not visible from the street. This is one of my favorite dwellings on this part of Monument Avenue.
Here's another nice home. This street is lined with them. Most of the houses on this stretch of Monument Avenue were built in the 1920's. The economy was booming, maids and gardeners were readily available, and who gave a heck about heating costs?
It's almost time to get back to work, and there's always plenty to do in the office. I'm refreshed after my walk, and I'm glad you came along.












My StumbleUpon Page



17 comments:
I love homes of those styles. Of course, there is no way that I could afford any of them, but it is nice in a way that someone could.
I absolutely love looking at old homes! Or new homes if they have character. Architecture fascinates me. I love these pictures. I'm always amused by those "cottages" that are 3000 sq feet or more!
That looks like a wonderful place to walk. And I would really like one of those houses, they are gorgeous.
So much history there. So much as been torn down here it is a shame.
I love that cockeyed topiary!
Great houses with great history. Wouldn't it be fun to know the histories of the families that lived in them over the years?
I just noticed that you had a brown braided rug, probably from Sears, just like we did growing up. I used it as a racetrack when I acted like a horse. May I run on your run please?
What a nice street to take a walk and get away from the office for a bit. I love old homes like these. I think I probably lived in one, in another life. Wishful thinking:)
Bill, those pictures made me think I was taking a walk thru Hancock Park in Los Angeles. A lot of the same architecture and time frame.
I must say, that was a walk of serenity.
I'd love to take a peek inside these old homes. I went to Richmond a few years ago and remember some cute neighborhoods with different colored roofs. The houses were really close together,almost touching...real San Francisco...eeee.
Your blog is just so relaxing. Mine is just a garble, what a mess!
When I was in Richmond last year, I remembered your advice to see Monument Avenue. I didn't have a car, so I gave up on that idea. But a bunch of fellow students invited me to join them for lunch on the town and the drive took us through Monument Ave. What a street! Those few blocks I saw were gorgeous. I hope to get back there next spring.
wow, Bill...beautiful area. Nice place to work. I'd be going on some lunch time walks, too! Thanks for sharing. jld
wow those are som beautiful homes Bill! thanks for taking us along :-)
Hey you put my house on your blog! I wish, I wish, I wish. ;)
Now back to work Bill you slacker!
What a great idea, taking your readers on a visual walk. You have a real knack for photographing houses. I especially like the one framed by the tree. Great pics, and a lovely entry.
Hey, Bill, it's me! (the one who swallowed her white chip and called Central Office for help..) Back with a newly anonymous (hopefully) blog that won't cost me my job this time! Your walk around work is beautiful! How great to work in such a lovely neighborhood!
Scott's addition is such an interesting place--and has some decent breakfast places--which we WILL visit next year! Thanks for the background on it. - Jean
Post a Comment