I just had to show you this picture of Sheldon's cat, Sassy.You know how some cats simply love people, greet visitors at the door, hang out with them and make them feel welcome? Well, that's not Sassy.
Cats, like dogs and people, have unique personalities. Sassy's clearly says "Feed me or go away." She will allow me to give her a couple of strokes, and then she moves a few feet closer to her food bowl. If I pet her too much, she starts breathing heavily - huffing, in other words - and this means that she's getting ready to break into a full-blown hiss.
I'm a frequent guest at Sheldon's place, so Sassy has grown to tolerate me. Sometimes, if she isn't napping, she will greet me at the door and let me pet her for a few moments. I think she actually likes me in her own peculiar way. Nana (Sheldon's mom) and I seem to be within Sassy's Periphery of Tolerable Things, but I suspect because we are both viewed as Possible Food Sources. I have taken care of Sassy when Sheldon's been out of town, and as soon as we've exchanged pleasantries and I've filled her food bowl, Sassy gives me that "Don't let the door hit you on your way out" look.
I asked Sheldon if, when the two of them are there alone, Sassy shows her tender side and curls up on his lap. Sheldon says that doesn't happen, but she will sometimes sit on the arm of his chair while he's watching television. She won't even curl up next to him in bed, although she will lay at his feet if there are enough sheets & blankets separating his bare skin from her fur. This makes me feel like less of a pariah.
Sassy has a flawed sense of spatial relationships. It's fun to watch her try to stuff her fat self into an empty cereal box. She's mad about empty cereal boxes and paper bags. She also likes the little catnip-filled pillow that she got for Christmas. Lately, when I've visited Sheldon, this catnip toy can be found somewhere on the dining room floor, soggy from a round of vigorous chewing. Sassy also got a fancy new food bowl for Christmas; stainless steel with fashionable orange bands around the perimeter.
Sheldon loves Sassy, and I have to admit that I do, too. She's true to her self.












My StumbleUpon Page



11 comments:
Cats are weird.
I stopped trying to stuff my fat self into cereal boxes. The neighbors were beginning to become suspect. Also, my catnip toy is usually hung to dry after a vigorous chewing.
Gotta love cats for being true to themselves for sure! Mine is 12 years old(or older) always keeps me at arms length, always at the food bowl meowing. He does have a lovable side though. Occationally I will catch him and the dog getting mushy together too. They both hate it when I "catch them in the act!"
That cat is amazingly vicious looking. :D
Sassy and I have alot in common. I, too, am especially fond of people who feed me and often find myself trying to fit my arse where it is physically impossible. :-) Very neat pic....
Namaste
Sassy sounds a lot like mil SIL's last cat "Ali". Cats are definitely independent critters.
Cats are so funny with their little personalities...
OH, thats a great photo. Cats are so funny and definitely have their own agenda don't they?
I like cats, especially the ones that like their own space and give me mine.
Oh I love her! Is it really a she? Orange females are rare. I love the expression "Sassy's Periphery of Tolerable Things."
Sassy is definitely a fitting name for her. At least her name isn't "Sweetie" or "Snuggles." I hope you pull your hand back quickly after feeding her! ;o)
Post a Comment