Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Fifth (of Beethoven)

The pace at work is slowing down a bit following the holidays. I had five consecutive days off at Christmas. At left is a picture of my desk when I returned. I wish. It never looks that tidy. My desk is covered with post-it notes: reminders of things to do, people to call, unfinished projects, and reports clamoring for attention. Add some standing files, fax machine, computer, phone, and other typical desk items, and I'm lucky to have a large free-standing wooden desk instead of a modern Dilbert arrangement. That little desk in the photo would never work.

I was on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for a few weeks. There's one of me but two phone lines, which is usually very manageable, but when I'm juggling two distress calls and handling walk-in customers, it can be edgy. The day certainly flies by, though, so that's nice. I'm happy to be moving at a canter rather than a full gallop this week, and I can spend a little time on organization rather than SOS calls.

I'm wearing an orange hooded Champion sweatshirt today with khaki pants. Sheldon gave me a Target gift card for Christmas, and I took advantage of sale prices. I also bought a black flat-knit cotton cardigan with gray piping, and a new pair of sneakers. The sneakers were sorely needed; my old pair looked disgraceful, but the damned things refused to wear out. These new ones feel great, and have put a spring in my step.

Have you changed the way you feel about colors over the years? Orange used to be my least favored color, but now I love it. I don't have a favorite color, and what I like on a particular day may vary. Perhaps it depends on my mood. Some days I feel like wearing muted, monochromatic tones, but the next day I may choose an eye-popping palette.

Is it just me, or is anyone else interested in giving Barney Frank elocution lessons? I'm sure he's a smart guy, but he sounds like he's got a mouthful of marbles or mashed potatoes. Or both.

A woman called me today because of a friend who has a drinking problem. We talked for awhile, and the woman started crying and admitted she was calling for herself. Her friends & family are worried, because she just got out of the hospital. Her liver is in bad shape. It's the typical story of feeling guilty, remorseful, isolated, and bewildered because her willpower fails her. I told her that was because we have a disease, and that a frontal assault using willpower simply won't work...if she didn't believe me try willpower on a bad case of diarrhea. I said she didn't have to live this way any longer, and found a few meetings she could get to easily within the next couple of days. I usually don't give meeting information more than a couple of days out, because their disease will tell them to choose the latest available option and then try to talk them out of going to that one. I made her laugh, and I could hear a small spark of hope in her voice. She said she hoped she would meet me one day. I told her she probably would if she went to enough meetings. That may not happen, but it doesn't matter. She'll meet many people in the rooms who will love her and help her recover her health and sanity. It was a privilege to talk with her today; she helped me more than she knows.

Boy, do I need a haircut. Most people like my hair with some length to it, but it drives me crazy. Even though my hair is finely textured, it's like a pelt. Unless things change drastically, I won't go bald. My hair is unruly and curly, so it's easier to handle when it's cropped short. We've had several windy days, and when I go outside I end up with Beethoven Hair. Maybe I can get a haircut later this week or this weekend. Think of the money I'll save on shampoo.

7 comments:

Amypie71 said...

I'm with you Bill, orange is my favourite colour too, reminds me of autumn. Sounds like you're quite a fashion icon :-)

Lemuel said...

Lots of interesting random stuff here! Yes, I think Barney would be better received if someone would work with him on his diction. No "pun" but I think he would be a much better spokesman for our causes if he did.

I'm insanely jealous of anyone with hair!!

I am glad that you heard the spark of hope in that woman's voice. I hope she follows through.

Scott W said...

Eh, just don't wash it, eventually it will form into dreadlocks and you won't have to worry about managing it. Or you can not cut it and carry around a baton and wear a coat with tails. Everyone will think you are classy.

Jean said...

Ha, ha, you've exposed me about my yard, now it's time for payback: your desk is neat as a pin. It shines! It looks like an executive desk, where no sweat ever falls.

Daniela said...

Ok, it's time you posted a picture of yourself, with your long hair and orange shirt. Or post one of someone else, and we'll never know the difference..haha. at least I won't.

Skippy said...

Beethoven hair? that sounds kind of cool :o)

Suzanne said...

Beethoven hair! hahahahaha! About colors, Yes. You are right in step with liking orange, and it's not because my shop is called La Naranja (Orange in Spanish). Oh no, that has nothing to do with it. (-;

But yeah, I think our attraction to color is interesting. After the holidays I want nothing by calming white and fresh light blue, but by now I start to warm to oranges and rosy pinks. If you are really into this, join the Pantone site and find your birthday color. http://tinyurl.com/arwpsa I did, and it changed my life. I'm seeing how pleasant the lighter warmer colors make me feel. Now, if you look in my wardrobe, it's layers of blue and black with a few recently-purchased orangey-pink things on top. I really think there is something to color therapy.