
"There was nothing separate about her days. Like drops on the window-pane, they ran together and trickled away."
- Dorothy Parker
That sums it up. Dorothy Parker describes quite well what my life was like in the last year or more of my drinking career. Each night when I crawled into bed I promised myself that I would eat something when I awakened. At best, I would sleep fitfully for a few hours, and the cycle would begin again, just like the days stretching behind me like a red carpet to Hell.
When I woke up, it wasn't long before the shaking started. Then I would vomit. This happened every morning, and it would come on so suddenly that I started keeping the kitchen trash can right in front of my chair in the den. The vomitus was black as pitch; my body was expelling a bellyful of putrified blood that had collected in my stomach while I slept.
All thoughts of eating were wiped out of my mind. The only thing that would stop the violent tremors that wracked my body was another drink. It seemed like the only solution at that moment, even though I knew it was killing me. I couldn't see any way out.
I'm sad, and a little angry this evening. This morning, when I answered the local AA phone line, I got a call from a man who was reaching out for help. He was at the end of his rope. After twelve years of sobriety, he started drinking again last June. He thought he had his problem licked. Now, at the beginning of 2009, he cannot stop drinking.
Last night, he went out to his shed to look for a hose he could connect to the exhaust pipe of his car. Only the worry of what would become of his dog kept him from finishing the job. I told him that, although suicide was an option, it was also a permanent solution for a temporary problem. I told him I knew how it felt to feel hopeless, to dread the brightening sky at the end of each night and think "Oh, please, not another day. Not another day."
From the way he answered my questions, I knew he was in the danger zone. His pattern of long-term constant drinking meant that withdrawal from alcohol must be medically managed. Without treatment, alcohol withdrawal syndrome can be fatal. The mortality rate is 35% if untreated, and drops to 5-15% if treated early. Complicating his situation is the problem of his relapse after a period of sobriety. Alcohol withdrawal symptoms can increase in severity following each relapse. This phenomenon is called kindling, and frequently leads to full-blown delirium tremens, seizures, and heart failure or stroke.
After spending time with him, assuring him that he could get better, that help was available, and that he could start enjoying life again by getting help, I got busy calling people. I found a man who wanted to help. He took our fellow to the emergency room nearby. And that's where things went downhill.
Our helper spent hours in the emergency room with our man, waiting for a doctor. Meanwhile, our fellow starts craving another drink. His heart is racing and his blood pressure is very high. He is disoriented, and wants to go home. He is hooked to an IV, so at least he is getting some good fluids.
And finally the doctor comes in. He tells our guy that he is drinking too much, and needs to stop. And that he is wasting his time. And he sends him home.
And that is why I am sad, and more than a little mad this evening.












My StumbleUpon Page



15 comments:
Oh, no! That is unbelievable, I am so so sorry to hear this. No wonder you are sad and mad. You are such a good person, and this was an amazing post. Thank you.
BTW, "Big Blonde" is one of my favorite short stories, that was a perfect epigraph.
Oh, Bill that is just terrible. That doctor needs his butt kicked.
That would make me madtoo! Why did the doctor not refer him to an agency or government funded group for more support?
My dear friend, I hope you understand you did your part by giving back what you have. The only thing we can do in such situations is pray for the fellow, and be entirely grateful for our sobriety. We tell our higher power we are grateful. That you reached out and called other alcoholics is what this deal is about. We ask for help when we need it, and we extend our hand when it is needed.
These feelings will pass. And at the end of all this, and what scares me, is the fact that your man was sober for 12 years and now cannot regain that sobriety I am sure he once so cherished. We must stay vigilant.
Bill, know you are loved.
I'd be mad, too. Hell, I AM mad! The doctor handled it all wrong.
Can the man go to a different hospital? Does he have a personal physician who can help him? Are there any other options? Is he still open to seeking help?
Gee, Bill, I hope. Hope is all we have some days.
It would be great if everyone understood alcoholism, but they don't. Not even doctors. The man needs professional treatment but maybe not in a hospital setting.
Either way, like Scott said, you did your part. We can't save the world, especially those who won't participate in it.
I would be furious. And I'm so sad for the guy to fall back into a pit after 12 years. It raises all kinds of questions as to why things like that happen. But there's no question about it, you're a good man, Bill, for trying to help these guys.
What an incredible sad story. I would say this probably happens every day which is even sadder.
Oh Lord.
This is why I give homeless drunks alcohol. I hope this man was able to get some alcohol in his system until he can find a COMPETENT doctor. Your hand was there Bill you can't control what others do. You did what you knew to do.
I'm sorry this has happened on what you probably feel is "your watch".
Do you want me to drive over and kick some doctor-butt? (I know, that's a temporary solution to a more permanent problem. And childish.)
That is very awful and I'm very sad that more people don't realize how much of a problem alcohol is, and instead think that it is only a matter of will power. After living with my (still) alcoholic father for years, I know better. Maybe more doctors should live with an alcoholic for awhile. (Although, actually, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Sorry!)
Is there any way to call this quack up on medical ethics?
I understand your anger and your sadness. We share it.
Do you have any follow up on the fellow? Are there others in your AA who can follow up and see that this man gets the medical help he needs?
The man, you and your helpers are all in my prayers!
I hope for the best for that man, and I want to echo people's statements that you are doing good in the world.
I have been following up with this man and the guy who took him to the hospital. He has stayed sober, and he went to a meeting last night. I think all the concerned thoughts of others made an impact. Thanks!
Yay, Bill! thanks for the update. I was wondering if we'd ever hear more of his story. I'll hold good thoughts for him and for you and all of the people of AA. I sincerely believe that AA is one of the best things this world has to offer.
Definitely thanks for the update. It's rough when we have to deal with members of the medical community who don't understand and don't seem to care. This guy is lucky that you and your friend were there for him. We all are so blessed to have each other.
Post a Comment