Sunday, May 4, 2008

Never Argue with a Drunk Person

Yesterday morning I put on my Good Deed Hat, hopped on my unicycle*, and went to our local AA Intergroup office. Nancy, the lone office employee, had a pre-paid vacation that she would lose if she couldn't get the time off, and she ran into an unexpected snag. The two people who normally fill in for Nancy were not available; one had recent surgery, and the other is out of the state. Nancy works like a dog, and I hated the thought of her missing her vacation and losing that money, so I volunteered along with others to help her out.


The Intergroup office is in a blocky old building that was built, I'd guess, in the late 1950's. It's all right-angles and long hallways. The only curved parts of the building that I've discovered are the toilet seats, and they are concealed from view by right-angled Sany-Metal partitions. As I was telling Scott, everytime I walk down the hall to the Intergroup office I feel like Jonathan Pryce in the 80's film Brazil.


This office building would have tumbleweeds rolling around the lobby on Saturdays, but since they are round they are banned. I pasted the how-to-get-into-the-building sign on the main entrance, went up the elevator to the sixth floor, visited the curved element in the men's room, and unlocked the Intergroup office. I woke up the hamster that lives in the office computer and got him running on his wheel, took the 24-hour hotline off the night service, and hung the reassuring We're Open! sign on the door. I was prepared for a busy day.

Tick.

Tock.


Tick.



Tock.



I got a few phone calls, but no customers for awhile. The Intergroup office, in addition to administrative chores, stocks books & literature, newsletters, sobriety chips and medallions, jewelry, cult-wear robes, magic wands, and blueprints for Druidic circles for AA members and groups. I bought a book and was reading it when the phone rang.


Here's something I've learned. If someone wants to get sober more than anything else, they will get sober. If someone wants to drink more than anything else, they will drink. Either way, no obstacle will stand in their way if it is something they really want. My caller was a 66-year-old man in Williamsburg. He was afraid he was going to go to the liquor store. He had been sober and relapsed many times. He had lost his wife because of drinking. He was a retired military man and war veteran.


How old was I? Good, he didn't like calling and getting a young person.

How long had I been sober? Good, he didn't like talking to people who got sober the day after the Lord's Last Supper.

Blah blah blah blah blah. It soon became obvious that this man just wanted to talk. Loneliness is a big problem for many active alcoholics, and no wonder. When you act like an asshole, people tend to disengage. I kept steering the conversation back to his problem with alcohol, because on Saturdays the only way a client can get into the building is by calling me from outside and getting me to buzz them in. I asked Mr. Williamsburg if he was looking for a meeting. He was, but not in Williamsburg, because everyone went to the meetings drunk. I had a feeling that everyone meant him.


I suggested a meeting in Richmond, and gave him the directions, telling him that it was at the corner of Monument and Staples Mill. He told me there was no such intersection. I assured him that there was. He said that Staples Mill ended at another street. I told him that I was sure it didn't, because I went to this meeting five days a week. I thought we had settled this, and that he could find the meeting with confidence.


But no, he had to go back there: If you would look a a topographical map, you would see that Staples Mill does not extend to Monument. Well, dang, I must have been driving through peoples' yards for the past year.


"I'll tell you what. You come to the meeting at 4819 Monument Avenue tomorrow, and I'll show you," I replied. He hung up.


It's probably a good thing he did, because Nancy doesn't take any crap on the phone, and I won't either. I try to exert restraint of tongue, so I wouldn't have said anything more than "I understand. I always had to be right, also. But then I realized that I'm human, so I can't always be right, and thinking that I could always be right and then getting frustrated helped me keep drinking." The restraint of tongue would have been not adding "I'll bet these are the kind of stupid arguments you started with your ex-wife, and that's why you're alone now." He probably hung up the phone and made a beeline for the ABC store, thinking "AA is nothing but assholes." As I said, if someone wants to drink, they will drink. At least I got a rueful chuckle, and he got the excuse he needed to drink.


He will drink because it's a bad day. He will drink because it's a good day. He will drink because he is angry or sad, happy or depressed, it's rainy or sunny or windy & cold. Because his wife left him/dog died/truck broke down or his dog left him/truck died/wife broke down. He will seize on any excuse to drink, and blame everyone else for every problem in life as he raises the bottle to his lips. I know this from personal experience.


I am sober today because I want to be sober.


During my morning visits today I found an interesting meme on Lemuel's blog. Here's how it works:

1. Pick up the nearest book (at least 123 pages).
2. Turn to page 123.
3. Find the 5th sentence
4. Post the 5th sentence.
5. Tag 5 people. (I'm not tagging anyone. Do this if it sounds fun to you.)


Okay, can you believe the the first three books I picked up didn't have 123 pages? Maybe it's time for me to put the Dick & Jane books away. Then I tried my mother's 1963 diary. No page numbers, and I didn't feel like doing even simple math. Then I found this:

We would not believe that our adult dreams were often truly childish.

That's from Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, a staple of the Alcoholics Anonymous literature.


* If anyone believes that I really hopped on a unicycle, jump up and grab a thermometer immediately. You may be running a dangerously high temperature. I did long for a unicycle when I was a boy, but my mother would have none of that nonsense. She hated spending time in doctors' waiting rooms when she could be ironing clothes or scrubbing a bathroom floor.

23 comments:

Zanejabbers said...

Love the humor in your posts. I especially like "I am sober today because I choose to be." Beautiful.
Did you ever do wheelies on your unicycle?

Birdie said...

Bill, my father lost his battle with alcohol by suicide. My young teenage son is displaying addictive behavior and is filled with rage. We have hope only because of people like you who are there to answer our questions and guide our thinking and responses. Keep picking up the phone; it may be someone like me.

Birdie

P.S. I finally took the bait and started a blog. Come visit sometime.

Lemuel said...

Interesting foray into the world of books; interesting the ones that you keep near by. :)

The most significant part of your post was, of course, your experience manning the phones. I have to agree with much of what you say. My own classes in counseling taught "non-directive counseling". I understand that such has its place, but sometimes I think you need to stop reflecting someone's thoughts and start directing them in a new direction.

It reminds me somewhat of a sign one of our engineers found: "Sometimes you have to shoot the engineer and go ahead with the project."

Scott W said...

Conversations with God,
page 123,
5th sentence:

Anger follows.

That wasn't quite what I was hoping for. But there you have it nonetheless.

Daniela said...

I have an overwhelming urge to join Weight Watchers. If I want to be fit, I will be fit. Oh, who the hell am I kidding.

Where do you get your strength? I could use some.

Great Post, thank you.

Pammie said...

hmmmmm..An active alcoholic has no choice but to drink. "we have lost our power of choice". An active alcoholic drinks because he must, not because he chooses to. If we could choose to drink, then we could choose not to drink...which is a catch 22 since an alcoholic can Not Choose to NOT DRINK. Just sayin'.
However...he could be an imposter, posing as an alcoholic just to have someone to argue with.
OR....he could be Nancy's secret phone sex person and you threw him off his game when you answered.

dAAve said...

Please send me the blueprints for Druidic circles for AA members and groups. I have been searching for these forever. Forever, I tell you.
Oh. Thanks for your service work too.

Bill said...

I'm glad Pamola left her comment, because this is the kind of discussion I like. It is true that an alcoholic is powerless over alcohol, as I learned when I came home from the hospital and drank even though I didn't want to. I had to admit I was powerless. I had to surrender and be willing to go to any length to start my recovery. I had to want sobriety.

Going to any length means just what it says. When someone says "I refuse to go to this meeting" and "I won't listen to that person" or "I'm different, so that suggestion won't work for me", chances are they will not go to any length to recover. Self-will is the enemy of the alcoholic.

AA's 12-step program is filled with paradoxes. Daniela asked where we find our strength. Through surrender. By taking the first step where we admit that we are powerless over alcohol and our lives have become unmanageable.

The active alcoholic may not be able to choose not to drink. They can choose a program of recovery. I'm glad I made that choice.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill, Great Post. I like your comments on what you really wanted to say too. what the heck are druidic circles? Did you make that part up too? As for the mem-Joyce Meyers, "Beauty for Ashes" pg 123, 5th sentance,
"During these very painful experiences, I learned that God would not help me be something that He had not created me to be."

Trailboss said...

Bill, Wanted you to know that I edited my blog so not as many pics will load when it is opened. Hope that helps, if not let me know k?

Not Important said...

Bill,

I've been to Richmond exactly once, so I don't know my way around, but I was able to determine where I'd find the intersection of Staples Mill and Monument. I can also drive there basically by turning left at the end of my street and driving several hundred miles with (in theory) no turns. Weird.

Patricia Marie said...

Great post, Bill. Did you really say that about his wife? I could not help but smile. I owe you one.

annabkrr said...

AWESOME post, my friend.

You handled the caller quite well. Nothing more irritating than dealing with an insane junkie/juicer in active use.

HUGS

Bill said...

No, Pat, I was practicing restraint of tongue!

Besides, he hung up too fast for me.

Karen said...

"I am sober today because I choose to be." Or insert, "healthy" today or "happy". These are great words of wisdom.

And I really thought you were riding that unicycle. And I totally agree with your mom!

Maddog said...

Yesterday I wrote a funny, witty, serious, insightful comment about this post. I clicked publish and the computer erased the whole thing and nothing was there. So I decided that clearly I was not supposed to leave a comment yesterday and so I didn't. Hopefully, today that will not be the case.

Pammie said...

hmmmm MR. Bill...I still beg to differ. But then, I will debate when others stop...it's a character defect.
The reasons you list for his drinking i.e. good day, bad day, angry, sad etc. are irrelevant if he is a REAL alcoholic. A real alcoholic drinks because he must. If he does not have a sufficient substitute....he will drink.
A desire for recovery is only a desire and has absolutely no power over alcoholism. When every desire I had was to not drink, I drank anyway…..powerlessness.
I don’t see any point in sitting on a phone arguing with a drunk, my point is that he is not choosing to live that way. He has no choice at this point. He did however, have an opportunity for something different when you offered to meet him at a meeting. You reached out your hand to another alcoholic……why? Cuz you rock darlin’.

Bill said...

I don't disagree with anything Pam has written, so I see this as a discussion rather than a debate. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know better than to take on a blonde Texas woman with a mayonnaise-eating Great Dane.

That list included excuses, not reasons. The reason is simple: alcoholism. I've been in meetings where we've joked about excusing our drinking with any "reason" under the sun. The addict's mind resists honesty.

Some psychologists say you can't stop doing something unless you replace it with something else. Scientific tests indicate that addictive substances become tagged as primary survival mechanisms in the mid-brain. The brain tells the addict/alcoholic that he must drink or use to survive, so I agree with Pam. A survival mechanism trumps a measly desire.

I tried to stop drinking many times without help. It never worked, because I had nothing to replace alcohol with. I was miserable, thinking "Now what?" and nervously eyeing the bottle.

One of the reasons that a 12-step program works for me is that it reveals what I need to fill the empty place to capacity and beyond, providing that sufficient substitute Pam mentioned.

Going face-to-face in a stand-off with the bottle did not work for me. I knew before my first AA meeting that I was powerless. The endless desire to stop did not prevent me from drinking, but it did get me to AA. When I say I choose not to drink today, I do this by choosing AA's program of recovery. Hey, I'm lazy! Why reinvent the wheel when I can jump into a plan that has worked for countless others?

The studies on the mid-brain have shown that even though addiction will overpower hunger and other survival mechanisms, there is something that will replace addiction as the primary power over addicts: faith. My faith is not based on an organized religion. It's a spiritual connection with something more powerful than myself. At least, that's how it works for me.

My Higher Power rescued me. I could not save myself, so I can't save anyone else. I have to remind myself that, when helping others, I'm responsible for the effort - not the outcome. In today's meeting we read "Either you are dealing with a man who can and will get well or you are not. If not, why waste time with him?" and "To spend too much time on any one situation is to deny some other alcoholic an opportunity to live and be happy."

These are just my experiences and opinions. I hope that I will always be 16 years behind Pam with our sobriety dates - no more, no less.

Pammie said...

Very well put Mr. Bill!
And when I have more time...I may come back and add a few more thoughts!
So spit in the fire and call the dogs home...we've cured the world mi amigo.

Scott W said...

It is not every alcoholic's fate to get sober. But we sure love it when they make in into the rooms! That is when we really get to shine!

Java said...

Gawd I just love reading the thoughts of 12 steppers. You push the BS out of the way and drive the point home. Refreshing.

Skippy said...

I LOVE YOU, BILL!!! Thanks for commenting on my site. I was a lazy bum today and didn't post. Things are well, I'll update later. You are wonderful.


L

Anonymous said...

The Harlequin
Laurell k. Hamilton

pg. 123

One minute leopardman, the next human again.