For several years, my friend Suzanne lived on the Mediterranean Coast of Spain. Recognizing a golden opportunity when I saw it, I was her first guest from the States. I enjoyed my visit thoroughly, and returned as often as I could. I made a total of fours trips during her years there, ranging from ten days to three weeks in duration. Suzanne lives in Amsterdam now, but I have yet to make a trip to The Netherlands. Keep the faith, Suzanne!
My first trip to Spain was also my first European journey, so I decided to splurge and fly first class. I bounced from home to Atlanta, spent some time in the private lounge, and boarded the big jet for an overnight flight to Madrid. The flight was wonderful, sort of like traveling on Air-Tran, I would imagine. I've never flown Air-Tran, but my buddy Sheldon tells me that no matter how long the flight, they won't throw you a pretzel fragment - or even a life-threatening peanut.Before the plane left the gate I was presented with a crystal flute of champagne and a dinner menu. There was also a small dop kit in my seat containing all sorts of comfort items, including one of those eye-masks I remember seeing in old movies and I Love Lucy episodes.
What to order for dinner? As I pondered the menu, a flight attendant brought me a dish of mixed nuts. Served in a gold-bordered white china bowl, the nuts were piping hot, and there wasn't a lowly peanut in the bunch. See what I mean about being similar to Air-Tran?
Here's what I ordered, as described by Delta's sky-chefs:
Warm Smoked Chicken Roulade topped with grilled Eggplant and Feta
Cheese
Chilled tender Citrus Shrimp served on a bed of Lettuce
Tomato and Caper Relish will accompany your Appetizers (Well, I should hope so!)
Spring Mix with sweet Pepper Julienne and Cucumber
Assorted Rolls and Butter
Asian-Style Beef Tenderloin
Pan-seared Omaha Steak crusted with Szechuan Pepper and Ginger,
accompanied by authentic Shaoxing Rice Wine Sauce, served with Shiitake
Mushrooms in a Jasmine Rice blend and Bok Choy
Fruit and Cheese
Dried and Fresh Fruit with an International Cheese Board featuring
Gloucester, an English cheese with a silky texture and mild flavor; Domaine de
Provence, a goat's milk cheese from North America with a tangy, distinctive
flavor; and Danish Esrom, a piquantly-flavored semi-soft dairy cheese
Raspberry Poached Pears with Mango Puree
I was so relieved to see that I would be dining just like I did at home every night, and the meal was delicious. Just like Air-Tran, the flight attendant brought a tray-sized tablecloth, and tucked a cloth napkin over my lap. Wine flowed, chomp chomp, and the service was attentive.
Breakfast was Fresh Fruit (no descriptives!), and a Savory Carmelized Onion and smoked Gouda Cheese Omelet accompanied by lean-grilled Canadian Bacon and roasted New Potatoes (with the amount I was paying, those potatoes had better be new).
The sun was coming up as we flew over Spain, and in Madrid I boarded a flight to Malaga. Once I located Suzanne in the airport, we set out for the Costa Tropical along the coastal road. Heading east, we gradually left the tourist-laden Costa del Sol, and the road hugged the seaside mountains. All I needed was a head-scarf and sunglasses, and I would have felt just like Grace Kelly. I just hoped for a happier ending as we whipped around the cliffs. The Mediterranean was sparkling and blue, and I was with my dear friend from childhood. Life was good!
I'm sure I will write more tales of my travels to Spain, but this story is about a lady I saw from afar until my final visit to Spain. To have a clear picture of the story, though, I need to tell you about the location of Suzanne's home. She lived above the tiny village of La Caleta, which adjoined the slightly larger town of SalobreƱa.We turned off the coastal road and began to climb the mountain, Monte de los Almendros, named for the almond trees which dotted its slopes. The drive up was dizzying after my long flight, and involved a lot of gear shifting as the vehicle negotiated the serpentine road. The drop-offs were sheer, and the road was closely bordered by villa after villa, each enclosed by stuccoed privacy walls and secured by gates. Good Lord, how far up did this mountain go? The sea looked far away down below.
Suzanne's villa, like the others, sat on a steep slope. I soon settled into the leisurely lifestyle, waking and sleeping whenever I liked. Each evening found us on her upper terrace, wine or martini in hand, talking and laughing, gazing out at the blue sea. Each evening, I noticed that cats began gathering at the same time, when the shadows started to first lengthen. Each evening, they came, singly or in pairs, and perched on the top of a wall separating two villas down below Suzanne's place. There were a lot of cats.Then, as the cats waited, we would hear the car before we saw it round a curve in the road. Every day at this time before twilight, a Mercedes sedan would pull up beneath the cats gathered on the walls. A man was behind the wheel, and he left the motor running while a strikingly elegant older woman got out of the car and began placing bowls of food along the top of the wall. After she stepped back, the cats would begin to eat.
Suzanne explained that these were feral cats, and this English woman came very day to give them food. And so, each day I would watch for her, and I would gaze at her ministrations through Suzanne's binoculars (a must with such a scenic view of the Mediterranean, and handy for spying on neighbors). I noticed that the lady never attempted to touch the cats, and they never drew near her. They waited patiently and warily until she withdrew before they began to eat. When her work was done, she would get back in the car, and her husband would drive them back to their villa.
Watching the daily feeding of the wild felines became something I enjoyed each time I visited Suzanne. Prior to my last vacation in Spain, I got word from Suzanne that something terrible had happened. The Cat Lady had gone to England to visit family, and left the care of the cats to her husband. Somehow, either by accident or carelessness, he got too close to one of the cats. The cat, feeling threatened, bit the man during his evening duties in his wife's absence. He returned to his home, and treated the wound himself. He sickened quickly, and by the time he sought medical attention, it was too late. He died of septicemia.On my last visit to the Monte los Almendros, we were invited to a garden party at a neighboring villa. There I met the Cat Lady. Her name was Glynnis, and she was as lovely in person as she had been from afar. And she still came each day when the shadows grew long to feed the cats that gathered on the wall.












My StumbleUpon Page



14 comments:
I have to admit that I was waiting for a punchline after you described those meals on the airplane.
I just might have to change my name to Glynnis.
meow
Wow, I don't know if I would have been able to continue feeding the cats after one of them led to the death of my husband. Although, I guess it was a constant in her life and so perhaps quite comforting.
I look forward to more Spain stories. :)
I'm going to have to have breakfast now that my taste buds have been attacked by that menu.
What a peaceful, relaxing, place to be. Glynnis. Elegant name.
Sounds like a peaceful, enjoyable, place to vacation. Glynnis. Elegant name.
if a cat killed my husband, I would make a catnip trail over the cliff and watch them trot off to their little yowly deaths. But um... anyways. I loved the food descriptions. heehee. I only flew first class once, when we got bumped, but I just remember how AMAZED I was that they asked me if I wanted a soda before we had even taken off! Hot stuff! Then the soda came in a REAL GLASS made of GLASS!!!!! Talk about class!
I am looking forward to more about your Spanish travels...this is an amazing story.
I have just put you on my Google Reader so that I can read you regularly - and thank you so much for all the comments you have written on Kitchen Retro. I really do appreciate them all.
Lidian
I loved that story. I hate that her husband died but the fact that she went back meant that she didn't hold them at fault. After all we all need to respect the wild animals.
I'm with Scott. Just call me Glynnis. Scott and I can be the Glynnis sisters....
Makes me wanna go there.
First off, the elegance of your flight brought back memories of my flights to Europe through the early 90s. Sigh.
These days flying is no longer a happy adventure. My last flight to Canada didn't even have water onboard. No kidding.
We have a small colony of ferels behind my workplace that we feed daily. We've been able to catch the kittens from all litters, get them checked out by the vet, and place them in good homes, and still trying to catch the mother, to have her fixed. No luck yet, she's too smart and never comes too near.
Your story, while painful regarding the husband, was beautiful.
Amsterdam is one of the most beautiful cities and Holland is my favourite country.
When you go for a visit, be sure to leave at least a few days (a week?) to visit the museums. You will be amazed at their number and the art, oh the art.
And yes, please do write more about your travels.
What a wonderful story, I felt like I was on the trip. Though next time you go consider taking me. Ok? Please? Begging here.
My last flight to Europe was first class. It truly makes the difference when doing such long trips. The cloth napkins, the real silver, the better menu. I was meant for living in such a lifestyle. Of course someone forgot to tell my bank account that.
I live on the urbanisation Monte de los Almendros in Salobrena, so I can attest to the veracity of Bill´s story about the cat lady. Glynnis still lives here and she is still caring and feeding the feral cats. She is such a kind person.
For those of you like Grace, who would like to visit Salobrena and the Costa Tropical of Granada, you are in luck. My husband and I own 6 villas here on Monte de los Almendros, which we rent out as vacation rentals. The villas have everything you could want to relax and enjoy such as heated pools, hot tubs, air conditioning (don´t let anyone tell you this isn´t necessary because it is!), internet access etc. We provide lots of useful information so you can make the most of your trip and see all of the special places that make the Costa Tropical of Granada so special. Of course, you will want to visit the Alhambra Palace in Granada, but there is so much more to see and do as well. You can find more details on my website www.CumbreVillas.com
Post a Comment