In March I wrote about a road trip that Michael & I made to Iowa in the late 1980's. Many of you wanted to see the photograph of my grandmother's teacher, D.G. Berg. My friend Jean scanned this photograph of the turn of the century man-in-drag so that I can post it for you to view. I think my great-grandmother did a nice job making the dress for him. I wonder how the conversations went during those fittings? Did they discuss what would be suitable for fake boobs?
If you have not read the original post, and are therefore a bit bewildered, you may click here for the story of how this studio portrait of a "confirmed bachelor" became part of my grandmother's photo album. D.G. Berg was a former soldier who became a teacher in a one-room schoolhouse in Iowa in the early 1900's. He lived with my grandmother's family when she was a girl.













My StumbleUpon Page



10 comments:
I am sure grateful that I don't have to hide. That no one considers me the odd Uncle or the confirmed bachelor. Heck, my nephew and niece don't even call me Uncle, just plain ole Scott.
DG must have had an adventurous streak because it seems a brave act to either show up at the photographer's studio dressed, or more likely, change after arriving. Then there's the wig. And he really makes for a handsome woman.
I love the story of your grandmother. I read all the way back to October 2007. Grandma vs. 75 snakes...very funny. She sounds like she was a riot. I'm jealous, I don't have very many memories of my grandparents. The only grandmother that I remember died when I was in 1st grade. My sister and I always felt ripped off in the grandparent department.
I love your last post. It is sooooo true about the difference in school rules from when I was a kid and now.
Now that story warmed the cockles of my heart. Thanks.
My grandmother obviously had a lot of affection and admiration for Mr. Berg. When she spoke of him, she was matter-of-fact and never implied that she thought he was strange or disrespected.
There is another picture of him in a dress doing some work around the farm, but folks found different ways to amuse themselves back then. There are also pictures of my grandmother and her sister dressed up as men in many of the old photos. Grandma mentioned that he had a male friend who lived elsewhere who would visit him and stay in their house. Everything indicates that he lived his life the way he pleased.
I believe that D.G. Berg was a good friend to my great-grandmother, Carrie Abels. My grandmother told me that Carrie's marriage at that time was tumultuous. Her husband Lucas owned two businesses in town, spent many nights there, and left most of the farmwork to his family. To me, the time and care that Carrie took in making the dress for his portrait points to a true friendship.
I like to think that D.G. Berg lived a happy life. The midwest has a middle-America reputation nowadays, but this was a region that was settled by people who wanted freedom and wide-open spaces. These photographs were taken only a couple of decades since the land was sold cheaply to settlers. I think it is likely that its local society was more tolerant of people's differences than we may imagine.
I just melt over this story. The fact that it's true makes it so much better. Berg looks lovely; and the dignity with which he is treated bespeaks grace in its best earthbound form.
Thank you for posting this, Bill, it brightened my day. The dress was lovely, and I wish they'd been able to do something a little more stylish with his hair! Maybe a big derby-style hat?
In any case, what a beautiful legacy of love and openmindedness you have inherited from her! You have much to be proud of.
In other news...are you going to Akron next month? Please say yes! I will be there!
I love it that the label is "family." Yes. In every sense of the word. Glad you finally posted it. Very curious. Bill I adore these girlie pics that decorate your sidebars, so very fun.
A wonderful photograph and wonderful story - I really really like your blog, Bill, and have bookmarked it so I can come back often.
I love old photos and family history too, and write about these on my other blog. WordPress does not allow my snazzy little Widgetbox widgets, alas, but here's where I am also at -
http://thevirtualdimemuseum.blogspot.com
I just finished writing about my great grandfather's cousin, an actress who came to a tragic end in 1880s Brooklyn...
BTW, I haven't seen that Maidenform-London Fog ad, but one's like it - that's a classic, though!
- Lidian from Kitchen Retro, in my Blogger persona
This is so heartwarming. Your grandmother and DG both sound like very sensitive, open-hearted and sensible people. I'm glad he was able to find a family and community to be a part of. The dress is beautiful -- your grandmother was a woman of many talents.
If only I could have visited your grandmother while I was in Iowa. It might have made the trip a little more enjoyable. The story of the portrait is wonderful. And what an amazing woman your grandmother is.
Post a Comment