I've been doing some research in my mom's diaries in preparation for the next chapter of Two Frogs and a Prince. I have to say that these diaries are a more valuable resource than I would have dreamed when I saw her writing in them as I was growing up. It's too bad I didn't keep one of my own, because as I flip through her diaries I am struck by how much I have forgotten.The diaries I have been skimming through recently are her 1974-1976 volumes. I was in high school, and it was rare for me to come home when school let out. Nearly every day I was involved with extra-curricular activities. I also had a lot of friends, and the puzzlement comes when I keep running across names and events that I have no recollection of whatsoever. Sometimes the names are vaguely familiar, and sometimes they are not.
One of the friends I do remember, Debbie Schell, had a sister named Julia who died. My mother notes that another friend & I went to the funeral, and that my mother made "cherry dessert" for me to take to the Schell family. I don't remember any of this! It's a bit like walking through a heavy fog, though, because when I read about Julia, an indistinct image of an older girl with 1970's dark blonde hair started to float around the edge of my mind. I have a sort of rippling feeling that Julia had been ill for a long time, and that her death was a dreaded outcome rather than a sudden event.
It is entirely possible that my mind will slowly release more and more of these memories because of my mother's disciplined writings. This has already happened through writing about my childhood on this website. I know that some of our memories can be awakened after a long slumber. Right now, I'm thinking about what an amazing gift these twenty-six handwritten volumes are from my mother to me. Thanks, Mom!












My StumbleUpon Page



10 comments:
It is often amazing how many memories we "lose" and how something quite out of the blue will bring them back to life.
I've always thought it was interesting that I have distinct memories of things that happened before my mom married my dad. After that there is a several year jump. I've often wondered if it's because my dad and I didn't get along so well.
I would love to sit and read stuff that my father had written...I miss him so.
When I was growing up, I made up so many stories...OK..I lied alot. ANYWAY, I can't always remember the truth from back then.
Bill, the first image is missing.
23 volumes? Dang, that lady was dedicated! I am still waiting for the second part of the serial.
My mom wasn't nearly as prolific a writer as yours, but she did leave us a few journals, mostly from the time I was a teenager and through my dad's retirement. I treasure the memories she recorded of raising four teenagers.
I had several "diaries" from when I was a teenager. I kept one in my purse at all times and wrote in it when I was straight and stoned and when also on acid. I ended up buring them along with a bunch of photos of a friend. I have often regretted it but when I shared this with So he told me that it was that way for a reason. I can still remember that driveway on Boxwood and how it all went up in flames. I guess it gave me closure to a certain extent. I no longer miss them, in fact I would absolutely die if my daughter found them. Maybe that is the reason I burnt them when I did. Only The Lord knows.
It is amazing how much gets lost if it is not written down - your mother left you a real treasure, for sure.
I started my journal (the paper kind, of course) when I was 12, in 1974, and am still going (though more sporadically now). My college ones are very detailed and I am grateful to that past self who just HAD to write it all down.
My only journal is from when I was sixteen. It included a trip to Colombia. My memory is so bad that entire parts of my childhood are blanks until a moment in my children's lives prompts the return of a story or two.
That shot included in this post made my eyes water. Waiting for Chapter Two!
My parents didn't keep diaries that I'm aware of. But a few weeks ago I put together a tribute video for my father who passed away 6 years ago with Leukemia. When I was going through the albums and video it was interesting to see things that I had long forgotten. That's part of the reason that I'm keeping the blog.
Good work Bill, I always love reading your writings.
xoxo
This makes me think about doing something like that for my kids.
I love those pretty pin up pics ya got!!
Post a Comment