Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Blue Blazes

Has it been hot where you live? It's been swelteringly hot here. My grandmother would have said that it's "hot as blue blazes." We stand a good chance today of breaking a temperature record for the fourth day in a row. I wilt in the heat. My discomfort says I was made to follow the climate, but my wallet says "no."

I was invited to go to the beach this past weekend, and that was a treat. Sheldon likes to go to Virginia Beach on summer Saturdays, and he asked me to go along. His son, Ricky, met us at the beach, and we spent most of the day enjoying the sun, water, and ocean breezes. The water was cold and refreshing. Sheldon looked at his brand of eye-candy, and I enjoyed my own. No harm in looking, right? There was this one fellow in particular... but I digress.

On the way back home, we rode by my childhood home. Boy, I wish I owned a digital camera. Everything looked so pretty. They've had a mild spring in Tidewater, too, with plenty of rain, so everything was lush & green. Many of the trees are now fifty years old. My boyhood house looked neat as a pin. Our brick barbeque chimney and my dad's beloved shed were still in the backyard. It all looked almost exactly as it did when my parents lived there. You could tell that the folks who live there love their home, which makes it nice for me. I assume that the same people who bought it back in the 80's still own it. I also saw my mother's old car sitting in our backyard neighbor's driveway. I sold Mom's car to Ruby after my mother died, and Ruby still drives it. I hadn't been in my old neighborhood in a long while, and it reminded me of how lucky I was to grow up the way I did.

For your hot weather diversion, I've included a quiz from Blogthings. I like their quizzes, because they are so scientific. You can really base your life on whatever the quiz results reveal about you. Before you move on to the Beach Test and the Fridge Quiz, let's take a moment for an important announcement.

Tomorrow, June 11, will mark seventeen years of sobriety for Pam! Pam has a Great Dane named Theo, so as far as Theo is concerned it's really one-hundred & nineteen years. Either way, it's a long time, and it shows that a twelve-step program of recovery can work. That's why these anniversary dates are so important; they give hope to those who still suffer. Pam is an inspiration and a friend, and I love dropping by her site each day. Sometimes her posts are funny, sometimes they're touching; they are always honest and real. Pam's a friendly Texas gal, so click here if you'd like to say "howdy" and wish her well.







What the Beach Test Says About You



You tend to be a very social person. You live for your friends and family. You can get social burnout occasionally though. You aren't a total extrovert.

You have cold feet when it comes to love. You have a lot of uncertainty until you convince yourself to dive right in.

You are deeply passionate about several things in your life. You're not passionate about much... and the few passions you have are truly obsessions.

Your sense of humor is intellectual and obscure. Only really well educated people get your jokes.



Next, let's take a look at the refrigerator...








What Your Fridge Says About You



You like to be surrounded by things you love. You aren't exactly greedy, but you can be materialistic at times.

You tend to be a fairly thrifty person. You splurge occasionally, but you're mostly a saver.

You are a very adventurous person. You love to try new things, and you get bored very easily.

You are responsible, together, and mature. You act like an adult, even when you don't feel like it.

You are likely married, possibly with kids.


What Do the Contents of Your Refrigerator Say About You?

Kids? Married? Uh-oh! That must have happened during a blackout.

16 comments:

Patricia Marie said...

My grandmother would say "it was suffocating" if she were alive today. It was 103 here today. Like the quizzes. Thanks for the reminder about Pam.

Scott W said...

LOL! These tests are based on scientific information. Shirley you jest!

Amypie71 said...

oh you're enjoying (Not) the heat and we're enjoying (not) the freezing cold winter. I'm sitting in my office with the heater going...

Lemuel said...

I have not been back to my parents' home (the home of most of my childhood and youth) for about 20 years. I guess I would rather remember it as it was. How wonderful that you found so many good things remain at yours!

Best wishes also to your friend Pam!

Pammie said...

Thanks Bill.
When I get out of the shower this morning, I'm going to come back and take the refrigerator test. We don't say refrigerator though, we say ice box.

Daniela said...

Oh, a few years ago, I went back to my childhood home and couldn't believe how small it looked. I thought we lived in a mansion when I was a kid, and now it looks so tiny. I love hearing about your life. Now i'm off to take your quizzes even though I should be working. stay cool!!

Scott W said...

I have never used such an archaic term as ice box.

Lidian said...

It has been just about as hot as it gets up here in Ontario - and humid too...It felt like 42 Celsius (I think that's well over 100 Fahrenheit, about 114) which was purely terrible. I much prefer cold weather. It is better now, for a day or two, and I hope that the blue blazes will dissipate down your way as well.

I am going to go say hi to Pam, and do those quizzes later when I have a bit more time. I believe that the contents of our fridge would not have much good to say about me though, this week...

Trailboss said...

It is hot here and I don't want to talk about my results of those 2 tests. But I am married with kids. What was I thinking!!

Trailboss said...

Pam, ice box? Are you serious? Is that a Texas thang? Do you have ice to keep your box cool? lol

Daniela said...

I'm cracking up. My mom says ice box to this day. When I was little, we used the term ice box. Awwww, I'm feeling sentimental.

Pammie said...

HEY...Whoa here.
Sorry...my family says ice box.
I say ice box.
If you check out Daaves post today, you'll know not to take me on. (I can take out 13 kids in a fight)

Karen said...

We aren't into the hot days of summer yet. The other day was 90, but for the most part we're in the high 70s and 80s. It's nice:)

According to the refrigerator test, I'm single with no kids. Wishful thinking? (somedays, yeah!)

Skippy said...

Bill, those tests are a little freaky! My results were sort of accurate. Get out of my head!!! Not you, Bill, you're welcome there. Plenty of room. But tests! Tests, out!

I miss you, Bill, sorry I've been a slacker. Just sort of depressed lately, blah, etc, etc. I'm so glad you got to see your childhood home and that it was a sweet, fond experience for you.

I appreciate you!

L

Zanejabbers said...

I use both phrases. When I was about 8 we had a round ice box and the shelves were like a lazy suzan. We rotated the things that needed to be coldest to the rear. The ice went in the top. I was absolutely horrified that it did not plug in. Plus the fact that we had an outhouse. I had had the finer things in life til age 6. Divorce does such wonders. Mother finally got the house into the 1950s with a bath and electric refrigerator.

Java said...

I don't know how accurate your refrigerator is about other things, but methinks it does not know you well.
Where's my wife and family?
What if I die here?
Who'll be my role model after my role model is gone, gone...