Thursday, June 26, 2008

Back to the Salt Mines

Yoo Hoo! I'm still here on Planet Bill, but I've been making daily trips to another galaxy. After three years of a job-free lifestyle I am now pulling on my grown-up pants and wearing shoes that require a shoehorn again each morning. Blogging has been a low priority, although I've been making an effort to visit your blogs. Even that has been haphazard, I'm afraid, and I haven't always had time to leave a comment. Soon, though, the transition will be complete, and I'll settle into a daily routine.

The job dropped out of the blue and into my lap. I was sitting here in my home one morning, minding my own business and probably visiting your website, when my phone rang. The local office manager of a worldwide service organization was leaving her position, and had recommended me for her job. The fellow calling me, the chairman of the steering committee, wanted to know if I would be interested in the job. This seemed like one of those God Moments I've heard people talk about, so I bowed to the Greater Reason and went to an interview a few days later.

I worked closely with the departing manager through yesterday, and there's been a lot to learn. So far, so good. Here are just a few of the things I like about the job:


  • it's in a climate-controlled environment

  • I work with people all day, in person and on the phone, but I work alone

  • there are a lot of balls to juggle, so the work is interesting

  • there's candy

  • I get to order lots of fun stuff

  • there's a 24-hour crisis hotline

  • the region, ranging from urban to rural, is large

  • I get to dispense a lot of hope and encouragement

  • I have a lot of responsibility

  • I am extremely grateful for this opportunity to help others

Thanks to the efforts my HP and I have been putting out over the past year, I am able to handle stress much better these days. This calmness and detachment came in handy today when I was ready to lock up and leave. The second telephone line went verplunkt, and I was able to contact the repair service and get the crisis hotline transferred to another number without getting agitated. There's a temporary fix in place, and the phone company will solve the problem tomorrow morning. And since I sat on Ma Bell's knee at one time, I know the magic words to use tomorrow morning if the situation has not been resolved: I'm filing a complaint with the State Corporation Commission. Those are the magic words when you are at odds with the phone company in Virginia.

The office is on an upper floor in a large office building. The state rents a great deal of space for its department of Taxation, and one floor is leased to a large law firm. There also a Hispanic radio station that broadcasts from the building. Who knows what other enterprises operate from this structure? I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Yesterday when I approached the elevators to leave, there was a tiny, thin woman waiting for an elevator. We shared it on the way down. As we exited toward the parking lot, I noticed that this woman needed a shave. It was a weensy man with a unisex hairdo. If a celebrity, his picture might appear on this site. He headed toward a motor scooter parked next to the building.

The telephone problems this evening were foreshadowed by various technical calamities throughout the day, including a facsimile machine that continuously jammed. I had an urgent fax to send, so I dropped in on the law firm next door to my office. There was the miniature man/woman. His name is Paul, and he is a very nice fellow. He cheerfully allowed me to use his fax machine, and I complimented his scooter. He beamed, and told me he's only had it a couple of months. It gets one hundred miles per gallon. Paul is my new hero.

That's what I've been doing lately. How about you? In other blogger news, Our Girl in Amsterdam became engaged on her birthday last weekend. She and her betrothed are planning an Autumn Wedding in New England.

Speaking of birthdays, Someone Very Special will celebrate a birthday this Sunday, so mark your calendars and drop by his place for some cake and ice cream on the 29th.

I hope to post again soon. I have something in mind already. Think Murphy Bed.

20 comments:

Scott W said...

Finally. A new post from Planet Bill. I thought maybe you had fell out of orbit.

I love that men as lesbian website. I had been there a long time ago and it was nice to revisit. I know some guys that would definitely fit in there.

Your new position sounds so intriguing and mysterious, and if I didn't know better I would say you are involved in some secret society type stuff.

Also, I bet you have some nice shoes.

Maddog said...

I had missed you the last few days but it's good to know that it's nothing bad.

I too have been too busy to stop by everyday. I try a couple of times a week to catch up on what all my friends are doing.

Hope you continue to enjoy your job.

Lemuel said...

It sounds as if you are comfortable in the new job and finding that it has "interesting sidelights". Best wishes.

Lidian said...

That job soundsreally good - I especially like the combination of being around people but working alone mostly. I like occasionally social contact but mostly I just really want to be left alone (typical only child!). And candy is also a plus.

I remember when dear old Ma Bell had the only game in town. My uncle used to work for her. I never dreamed you could have more than one phone company!

Jen said...

Oh good, an update. You sound happy! I'm glad you handled all those stressful events. :0)

Now I just have to learn about how to handle stressful job environments...

Birdie said...

Welcome back! How wonderful to find a job that you love. It makes getting up a treat instead of a chore. I know whereof I speak!

WHERE do you find these websites?! The "men as lesbians" site is a real hoot. Your site is educational in so many ways.

Karen said...

Congrats on your new job, Bill! Sounds like a good fit for both you and the company you're working for. It's nice to hear from you again. You've been missed:)

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Wow congrats on the job Bill, Good things do happen to kind people! The most important thing about all of this Bill is that you said there is candy, that is a deal maker right there for me! ;)

Trailboss said...

Jobs that land in your lap are fun aren't they? That is how I got my last 3 jobs. They called me. It does explain your current absence very well. I was beginning to think you were having a Ground Hog day and reliving Father's day over and over again. I have an idea about what your new job is. I think you pose as a florist but really work for the CIA. Am I getting warm?

Trailboss said...

PS I sat on Ma Bell's lap for 10 years.

Anonymous said...

wow you sound like a really cool person!! Hi I am shannon and i saw you on Scott W page, so I thought I would pop by and say hi and read your blog. I appreciate how you share! Happy Friday and have a good weekend

the cajun said...

Glad to know you're still with us and this new job is an exciting new development appropriate for this long awaited post.

And, um, go easy on the candy.

Zanejabbers said...

Congrats on the NEW JOB. I am so glad to finally figure out who has a shoe horn.

Java said...

Wow. I want a job like that. I should adapt your list of things you like to a list of things I'm looking for in a job. After having driven an un-air conditioned school bus in South Carolina for almost 4 years, I really really want my next job to be in a climate-controlled environment. I like working with people, and I like working alone. Candy! Obviously. Order stuff with other people's money? Oh, yes! A large region with variety sounds like an excellent opportunity for a ROAD TRIP!! I love to drive. With plenty of balls to juggle, a lot of responsibility, I would be engaged and not bored.
Then there's the whole aspect of offering hope, encouragement, and genuine assistance to others in need. That is my heart. Whatever you are doing now, I'm looking for something like it. Maybe not quite yet, but within a couple of years I want a job like that.

Anonymous said...

Candy and a new friend all in one week? Good for you Bill. Let me know how the balance thing works out, I need all the help I can get!

Suzanne said...

I love reading about your new position you anwered all my questions. Bill it sounds so perfect, and yes, that was God saying, "see? I'm listening! Atta boy, Billy!"

And thank you for mentioning my engagement...I got my ring back from the jewelers today, it's all cleaned and perfectly sized..an antique that shines like new, I couldn't be happier..

LOVE YOU

Skippy said...

Yay, news from Bill! I am so happy to hear from you! How did you go three years without a job? Do you have a sugar daddy? I thought I was the only gal around with that kind of luck.

I am so happy for you and your new job. I'm glad you already made friends with Scooter Paul (and that web site is the funniest thing I have seen in years!)

Save some of that office candy for me, Bill!

Hugs!(yes, the chocolate kind!)
Liz

Skippy said...

Ma Bell? What does that mean?

Bill Hetland said...

Congratulations on getting a great new job that enables you to help others. Best wishes as you continue to provide valuable insights on your blog and at your worksite. -- Billy Bump

Bill Hetland said...

Congratulations on getting a great new job that enables you to help others. Best wishes as you continue to provide valuable insights on your blog and at your worksite. -- Billy Bump