Thursday, June 5, 2008

Cats and Coons

I had an interesting telephone conversation with my buddy Sheldon this evening. Sheldon has lived in his house for about twenty years, and he takes an evening walk around his neighborhood when he isn't working. I've walked with him a few times, and most of the neighborhood cats dash out to greet him when they see him coming. Sheldon knows them by name, and he spends a couple of moments with each one catching up on current events.

Pete the Cat lives at one of the houses that Sheldon passes on his walk. Pete's house has a large tree in the yard, and there are two or three raccoons that live in the tree. Pete's owners put food for their cat out on the front porch, and they have told Sheldon that they've seen Pete and the raccoons sitting side by side eating from time to time.

During our phone conversation, Sheldon told me that as he was walking by, he saw a raccoon on the porch of this house near the food bowl. The raccoon picked up the bowl of cat food with its front paws, and walked upright off the porch and down the side of the house, carefully holding the bowl. The raccoon stopped about midway along the side of the house, set the bowl down and ate a couple of bites, and then picked the bowl back up and continued around the corner to the back of the house.

Sheldon said he wondered whether the homeowners came out the next day and thought "Now, how in the hell did Pete carry that bowl into the backyard?"

This story made me recall a couple of things. First, I thought of my pet raccoon, Jake, who lived in a raised hutch in our backyard. I used to love to watch him eat, because he was so dextrous with his little black hands (paws, I know). He would daintily pick up each bite of food and dip it in his water bowl before he put it in his mouth. His fur was very coarse, and he didn't like to be petted like a cat or a dog; he liked to be stroked from the back to the front.

I also thought about the documentary, Grey Gardens, specifically the scene where Little Edie takes plates of food up to the attic to feed the raccoons that come in through the holes in the roof. Grey Gardens concerns the lives and living conditions of Edith ("Big Edie") Bouvier Beale and her daughter, "Little Edie" Beale in their crumbling and squalid East Hampton mansion in the early 1970's. It's a bizarre film, especially since it's a true story. If you haven't experienced it, you must see it.

p.s. keep your pets away from wild animals!

cat
more cat pictures

12 comments:

Lemuel said...

What an amazing story! Raccoons are fascinating to watch. As you correctly observe though, in the wild they can be very dangerous and carriers of rabies.

Birdie said...

When I saw that picture of the cat and raccoon, all I could think of was how dangerous that coon will be as an adult. If the cat intervenes between him and his food, no more kitty. Yikes.

Fascinating story of the Beales. I had not known about this story. I wonder if it's available to rent.

Patricia Marie said...

Cute story on many levels.

Scott W said...

Little Edie was the queen of the eccentrics. The way she could make skirts from her sweater was fascinating. And the hot plate beside Big Edie's bed so she could boil corn on the cob was weirder than fiction.

Amypie71 said...

That's a crackup about the Racoon! Luckily we don't have them here :-)

Lidian said...

I really want to see Grey gardens again, it has been a long time since I saw it. TV Ontario used to show all sorts of strange documentaries like GG which I would be glued to.

We had a very large raccoon in our yard last year but I think he moved down the street. He was not all that cute when he was tearing out the grass. But years ago we saw a raccoon family up in a tree, babies and all, and they were great.

Our cats are indoor girls and watch the raccoons and squirrels and birds like I watch documentaries on TV!

the cajun said...

When I first saw the film I was dumbstruck. Yes, I saw it in the theatre when it was initially released. It was way ahead of its time and audiences, even in NYC, were not ready for what was labeled "a political expose".

The subsequent B'way musical has received raves. I have heard some of the score and I must agree.

The original film is available on DVD and, I am told, there are additional scenes and outtakes included in the "extras" on the disk.

Trailboss said...

I loved this post. Especially about how the raccoon carried the bowl of food! That is so human like. kwim? I am glad you are posting more lately. I really enjoy reading you. :)

Skippy said...

Hi, Bill! How are you! So happy to hear from you! I love your story. I need to see that movie, I've never heard of it.

"Dirtydishes" and I had a blast at the oldtimer's meeting yesterday in Akron. Wish you were here! There are lots of nice people, no cooties anywhere (we think). We have checked it out and can report back to you that it is safe. Now you can come next year, mmmkay? We both talked about how much we love you and think you're hilarious and talented (are your ears burning yet?)

Much love,
L

Maddog said...

I saw the documentary Grey Gardens about a year ago. It was more than a little disturbing. I never got the chance to see the show in NYC but I heard nothing but good things about it.

When I lived in San Diego I was startled by raccoons on my way to my apartment many times. Of course I think I scared them far more than they scared me.

JEWELGIRL said...

I love the raccoon & cat photo!
I'd be worried about the cat tho
raccoons can be nasty scrappers.
Also you brought back great memories of Paul Lynde(sic?),
he also appeared on Bewitched,
he was so funny!

Julie said...

I love that!