Saturday, March 22, 2008

Happy Easter!

I'm all dressed up for Easter, looking like a Junior Hit Man. Who would have guessed that they made old man hats in such small sizes? Maybe my mom boiled one of Fred Dowling's fedoras, and hung it on the clothesline to shrink. Note the shed in the background. You may encounter that in an upcoming story.


I really don't have many memories of Easter as a child. I do not remember Easter baskets so much as I remember the first year I did not get one. As I recall, my mother had warned me in advance not to expect one because I was getting too old, but I am chuckling right now at the bitter outrage I felt when I discovered she wasn't kidding. My ire only tripled when I found out that a friend my age got an Easter basket, and I was quick to point this out to my mother. I'm sure she gave an offhand reply such as "How nice for them. Maybe they'll share some candy with you." My mother was always immune to my pouting.


In high school my friends and I decided it would be fun to have an Easter egg hunt. We prevailed upon my mom to hide eggs in our yard. This was a mistake. For one thing, we had a big yard, and it wasn't a blank one like the yards of some of my friends. Our place had been filled out with many more trees and bushes than when the above picture was snapped. There were lots of places to hide eggs, and my mother took her assigned task seriously.


I had to clear out while Mom played Easter Bunny. My friends and I showed up at the appointed time and we began to hunt. It was fun at first. My mom sat in a side yard beneath some shade trees. We'd bring her eggs while she sat in a garden swing, and she'd tell us how many more we had to find. We searched all the likely places several times and there were still hidden eggs. She started giving out clues like "Did you look in the sky?"


In the sky? This was turning into the Egg Hunt From Hell. These were just your run of the mill pastel-dyed eggs, and she hid them cunningly so they would blend into their surroundings. Someone found a green one in the middle of an expanse of lawn. I guess they employed a grid-pattern technique to find it. The one in the sky was tied in the branches of a tree, a blue egg so that when (if) you looked up it matched the blue of the sky. She'd used a stepladder to conceal it.


She finally had to start helping us find them, but by then even she didn't know where all of the remaining ones were. I was still finding rotten colored eggs in mid-summer when I was tending the yard. Some childhood activities just shouldn't be revisited.

15 comments:

Scott W said...

Mom used to hide the Queen's Nest, a small basket with multiple eggs in it, then direct So to find it.

I love it that your mom was so creative in hiding those eggs, were y'all stoned?

I had a friend whose mother used to hide airline bottles of vodka around the apartment and her friends would look for them and they would make martinis and get good and drunk on Easter afternoon.

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter Bill

Janet said...

I've never been on an Easter Egg hunt - not traditional here in the UK but it sounds like fun. I do remember having to make and then wear an Easter bonnet - usually consisting of yards of gluey crepe paper, pipe cleaner chicks, ribbon and dog and cat hair (that bit wasn't part of the design). Perhaps not my best look!

Pammie said...

My brother put dog poop in a plastic egg for me to find once. He thought it was hillarious. I didn't laugh until mama popped him in the head for it...now that was funny.

Trailboss said...

So, I think you are remembering the Queen's nest wrong. The only time I remember finding it was when I peeked out my bedroom window and saw her hiding it. Naturally I ran to it as soon as the hunt started.

I do however, remember being very small and following you and Mike and of course not finding any because yall had found them. That was when Mom would direct me to different ones. You know, Moms do that kind of things for their spoiled rotten daughters.

danny/ink2metal said...

teehee...

i like your mom's sense of committment to the task and her creativity in execution.

that's the way i would have done it, too.

happy easter, bill!

hope your foot is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

"The egg hunt from Hell" Thanks for cracking me up, as always, Bill. Happy Easter

Zanejabbers said...

Thank goodness you did not have an outhouse.

Zanejabbers said...

Thank goodness you did not have an outhouse.

Jen said...

That's awesome. We stopped hiding real eggs when I was a child for two reasons. 1) We decided to eat the egg and we got salmonella. 2) The rotten eggs you'd find in June!

Then we started hiding the plastic eggs, and there is nothing more hilarious then finding a dirty smelly grime-encrusted plastic egg from the year (or two!) before on Easter morning. ;)

Jean said...

This is of a piece of what I've learned about your mom. No such thing doing something half-way. Thank gawd/too bad she didn't aim to run the world.
- Jean

Janet said...

thank you kind sir for the gold star - I shall keep it with my ruby slippers.

How's the foot coming along?

Patricia Marie said...

My mother dressed us up every Easter Sunday and took us to the Zoo. Yes, the Zoo every year in our dresses, shoes and hats.

Jen said...

Happy Easter!

Suzanne said...

Oh boy do I ever remember this hunt. You describe it perfectly. We started so bright and smug, and slowly found new respect for the Master Eggstress sitting knowingly in the corner. I remember the shock and disappointment I felt, after I realized that my sharp eye was no match for Bill's Mom. I think I found the least eggs. But I remember finding one in particular, I was downcast, actually bummed about the whole thing, scuffing under a tree when I realized one of the fallen azalea petals I was gazing at was actually a half buried fuschia Easter egg :-D Thanks for reminding me of that day, Bill+ Mwah!