Friday, March 28, 2008

Just a thought...

When was the last time you skipped?

My grandmother was given to odd musings. We all are, I guess, but she'd say hers out loud. One time when she and my mother were in the car, waiting to enter traffic at a busy intersection, my grandmother said "Look at all those people going by in those cars. Now just picture them going by like that without their cars. Just zooming along with their hands out like that."

Now that I think about it, I remember a gas commercial - I think it was Gulf - that showed people going down the road like that without cars. If gas prices don't drop, I may give it a try.

Grandma said to me one day, in all seriousness, "Now why do you think God put your mouth right under your nose? Wouldn't it have made more sense to put your nose under your mouth?" I thought about it a moment, and then ran outside to play.

Getting back to the skipping thing, I loved to skip when I was a kid. It was fun. It made me feel light-hearted. My parents should have given in right then and bought me a Barbie doll. Really, though, when you give it some thought, when was the last time you skipped anywhere? In addition to saving time, it would be hard to stay in a bad mood. I would wager that it would be impossible to gripe and frown while you are skipping.

What if everyone replaced walking with skipping? Would it be possible for world leaders to decide to go to war if they skipped into a defense conference? I'll bet Osama bin Laden would be a changed man if he started skipping from cave to cave. He might even start shaving and grooming himself.

Think of the health benefits. Skipping burns twice the calories of walking, and it doesn't inflict the same wear and tear on joints that jogging causes. Americans could become examples of slim physiques instead of the world's fat-asses if we started skipping through the grocery store aisles. The next time you're out and about, picture everyone skipping instead of plodding along.

I believed I had an original thought when this skipping thing occurred to me, but I should have known better. Take a look at this website. If you act fast, you may become the Head Skipper in your state.

15 comments:

lash505 said...

big steps at that..

dAAve said...

The Head Skipper is the one with the dirty knees. I know.

If my nose was under my mouth, I wouldn't have to smell broccoli.

And think how interesting it would have been to watch FDR trying to skip into the Yalta Conference. (ooops, I didn't say that!)

Scott W said...

David!

I have had that exact thought your Grandma had about people in their cars. I also used to marvel when at night that when we would drive by houses or apartment buildings that there were people in there horizontally unconscious. I thought that was freaky.

I have had other thoughts you don't want to know about. Jus sayin'.

Lemuel said...

Interesting. I never did much skipping in my day. Perhaps that is my problem.

Zanejabbers said...

Skip to the loo, my darling. And in June there will be the 1st annual Skipathon in.............

Patricia Marie said...

Great idea Bill. And if gas prices do not drop soon I will be getting myself a horse & buggy.

Jean said...

I still go skipping now and then--it's been a while--thanks for the reminder! Lemuel, it's never too late to start!
- Jean

Pammie said...

Skipping would slosh my guts around, and I don't believe in that....which is why I don't work out. I think it's bad for anyones guts to slosh, but that's just me. I could possibly be wrong....but I don't think so.

Anonymous said...

I do skip occasionally while walking my dog, she loves it and it does seem to be easier on my joints. I only do it when it just her and I though, hubby and friends get slightly embarassed, me acting like a 2nd grader and all. By the way, my Aunt is a retired elementary school gym teacher and I remember her telling me that skipping is difficult for kids to learn, but once they learn, they are off and skipping.

Trailboss said...

The thought of everyone skipping is really funny. Can you imagine the next debate with Hillary and Obama skipping in? The entire audience skipping in to be seated? Or old McCain "trying" to skip and keep up with them?

Karen said...

So, now I'm going to go around imagining people skipping through their daily routines, and I'm going to be all alone, laughing out loud and people will think I'm nuts. This is too funny. Dave's comment--baaaad. . . (but I'm giggling just thinking about it).

Karen said...

Bill,
And Dan says it would be a boon to the economy, if we all skipped. We'd wear out our shoes faster and have to buy new ones.

Janet said...

I haven't skipped in such a long time - I'll give it a try tomorrow at work. My workmates already wonder about me, let's add to their curiosity.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Bill, I was actually skipping this morning, yes it is true. I walked into the livingroom and stubbed my toe on the coffeetable leg and skipped to the couch to sit and swear!

If our mouth was on top then wouldn't milk, water etc always run out of our nose? Wouldn't there be a greater chance that people could poke themselves in the eye while eating?

Jen said...

I actually skip frequently. My daughter has been trying to learn and her teacher thought it was a problem that she couldn't skip so we practice regularly. I think I have mentioned to you that I can't dance so I suspect she got her graceful genes from me. She can skip now. All is well.