Friday, March 7, 2008

Mini-meme

Or is it MEME? I'm still unfamiliar with a lot of the internet language. Java and cookies sound tasty but they aren't. An entire generation will probably not know what "adobe" really means. I used to see HTML and think "Oh, no! Hate mail!" It's likely that I have deleted a few legitimate messages from friends using hotmail because I thought I was getting spammed by a porn site. Speaking of spam, my grandmother developed an occasional craving for spam sandwiches in her twilight years, just ask my cousin Sheri. Either way, it's a bad thing, and should be outlawed. I've concluded that "meme" means that something is "all about me," but I could be wrong.


In any case, Jen tagged me with a meme, and I'm supposed to tag other people. I'm not going to do that, but here are the friends I would have selected:

  • Scott - because I visit his site every day for great quotations on life. He is an accomplished artist, and I'm grateful for his friendship.

  • Pam - who has been sober since 1991 and has fun with life's quirks. You should check out the "Conversations with Mama" section on her blog.

  • Karen - because of her grace and humor, and because we shared the same mom in different bodies.

  • Jean - who has a fascinating mind, and a beautiful soul.

  • Dave - because reading his blog is like ordering one of those "surprise boxes" from a catalog; something I always wanted to do when I was a kid, but my parents never let me.



On with the meme...

Five names you like:

Michael

Felix

Timothy

Cosmo

Katharine


Five names you do not like:

Donald

Lester

B.J. (Why, oh why would a parent do this to their child?)

Junior (Ditto. My guess is rampant ego)

Barry (I have my reasons for this one)


Five things you do, or should do, daily:

Drink coffee

Pray and meditate

Go to an AA meeting at dawn

Read my daily blogs

Take a nap


Five stores you like, in person or on-line:

Target

Yoder's Country Market

Sur La Table

Artisan galleries

Local farm produce markets


Five people you would tag:

(see above)


If you'd like to join in, just leave your lists in a comment.


Today marks eleven months of sobriety for me. You did not see me blogging this time last year. One year ago today I was isolated in my home, vomiting daily and shaking uncontrollably until I put more alcohol in my body. Life was very bleak. What a difference these months have made, and it all happened day by day, moment by moment. I'm very grateful to be writing this today, and I thank you for dropping by for awhile.

13 comments:

Skippy said...

Hi, Bill! I wandered on to your blog by clicking "Alcoholics Anonymous" as a common interest. I love it so far! A lot of what you like interests me also. I think I'll become a regular :o)

Peace and Love,
Lily E

Skippy said...

oh and CONGRATULATIONS on 11 months, Bill. I'm so happy for you! I just got one year in February, and I can't even express how grateful I am. Know that sober sisters and brothers out there are proud of you. But don't think you've reached the end of anything...apparently, the first year is a gift ;o) Although whoever said that must have been CRAZY!

Trailboss said...

I love shopping at the local markets for fresh veggies. Just picked corn and tomatoes are the best!

danny/ink2metal said...

kudos to you, bill, on your 11 months of sobriety! i wish you continued success with it.

anyway, i have a love-hate relationship with the name wilbur. i love it because it reminds me of the show mr. ed and of charlotte's web, but i could never bring myself to name a child that.

Jean said...

Yowza, I don't deserve that nice of a tag. However, now that you've sucked me into this meme...
Names I like: Michael, Maria, John, Daniel, Tabatha.
Don't like: Dudley. JR.
Do every day: Drink coffee. Write. Meditate. Pray.
Store: Yeah, sur la table! Amazon. Pottery studios. --Dang, we need to go produce shopping together some time. Maybe our next breakfast should be farmer's market downtown.
Five people I would tag... Oh, don't make me do this one. But you'd be one of them!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill, I want you to know that I enjoyed reading some of your Mom's diary entries last night. It really took me back to a much more simple time. Did you really put crayons in the tea kettle? Shame on you! Thanks so much for sharing your Mom, and for the Grandma story you posted yesterday.

Lemuel said...

I celebrate your sobriety!! Congratulations and may you continue on this much more healthy path - physically and mentally!!

I very much enjoyed reading the lists too!!

Pammie said...

thank you for mentioning me darlin'. Eleven months!!! I loved the countdown between eleven months and that 1st year. I had a fabulous speech prepared, but ended up just crying instead ;)

Patricia Marie said...

Adobe is a local Southwestern eatery around here. Congrats on your sobriety.

Scott W said...

I think I will do that meme on my blog later. Yes, I should do that, but tonight I am too tired to think that much.

I love stopping by daily, even if it is just to check if you have something new.

Pam said it. Cherish that countdown to one year. I rode that pink cloud for a month before and a month after. I just couldn't believe I actually had a year of real sobriety. No lying about anything! Or nothing that mattered, anyway. You make my sobriety richer, and I am grateful for that!

Karen said...

Congratulations on 11 months, Bill! Wonderful! And, aw, what a nice comment,thanks for tagging me. I so like this stuff --

Names I like: Andy, Elise, Benjamin, Caroline, Jon

Don't like: Angus or Agnes, "initial names" like TJ, JR.

Do every day: Drink coffee. Pray. Hug my kids. Walk my dog. Be ever so grateful for my husband -- he's the best.

Store: Barnes & Noble, amazon.com for used books, local antique shop, Peppercorn

dAAve said...

I thought I left a comment here already.
Guess not.
I will do this meme on a post later this week.

Suzanne said...

Five names I like:
Suzanne, Christopher, Jonathan, Daniel, Elizabeth

Five names I do not like:
Bruce. Really, just Bruce.

Five daily do or should-do things:
Well, that's a big darn dif, but, ok, I'll go with what I do do.
1) make the bed
2) drink coffee
3) feed the cats
4) pick up Quila, the little cat
5) go into Second Life

and for fun, what I should do:
1) drink water every hour
2) think about what I'm thankful for
3) work out
4) do something I have never done
5) do something nice for someone else

Five Stores I love
1) Whole Foods
2) De Tuinen (health stores Amsterdam)
3) Target
4) Laura Dolls (vintage clothing,9 streets Amsterdam)
5) Pompadour (handmade chocolates, 9 Streets, Amsterdam)

5 people I would tag...Bill, Kristen Kauffman, and that's it.